Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Through the hull or transom

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Through the hull or transom

Old 07-23-2007, 04:09 PM
ridgewalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Through the hull or transom

I am having trouble getting water flowing consistanly through the cooling system and have burnt up a couple motors and almost the esc.The boat is going plenty fast to create flow because it sometimes works(only when turning left)I put up some pics so you can see what i am talking about.My question is would a through the hull pick up be a better pick up or through the or on the transom be better?This is a submerged prop it is under the hull will that make a difference with water pick up?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42716.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	728761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73907.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	728762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63606.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	728763  
Old 07-23-2007, 04:22 PM
fun4ej
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Through the hull or transom

From the pics, it appears that your pickup is out of the water when the boat is on plane. Try bending that tube down so that it is just under the hull.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:52 PM
ridgewalker

I have tried the tube just under the hull and it cause's to much drag to much.The tube is about 1 1/2'' away from the transom should it be right up against the transom?Howw about a pick up port on the bottom of the hull to catch the water from the prop.?do these set ups work well?advantage and disadvantage known to the through the hull bottom pick up?
Old 07-23-2007, 05:12 PM
fun4ej
My Feedback: (1)

You are going to get drag wherever you place the pickup. You have to try to minimize that drag while making sure the cooling system still flows. Try bending your existing tube down so that just the point of the pickup is catching water when the boat is on plane. The tube doesn't have to be completely submerged.

Here are some pics of a thru-hull pickup I made for a boat of mine:

Name:	Om32694.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	728785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80446.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	728786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64273.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	728787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69428.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	728788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn78420.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	728789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne56127.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	728790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt32900.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	728791  
Old 07-23-2007, 05:25 PM
hellomynameisdookie

Check out this article, it should help you a bit and not create that much drag: http://fastelectricrc.com/how-to-add-water-cooling.html
Old 07-23-2007, 05:36 PM
ridgewalker

Thank You.I took a look at that link you posted and that is the pick up i was thinking about installing.I have seen that before and others have told me about it but no one is running there water pick up's that way so i'm not sure if it would be able to draw up water very well.Any one useing that set up?Does it work well?when only at wot or all the time?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:45 PM
hellomynameisdookie

With your hull it should work all the time. Even with a surface drive, if properly placed will work very well. Use large diameter fuel tubing and a brass tubing that's as large as you can use and still get the tubing over. I think you'll be pleased with the results.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:12 PM
ridgewalker

I may be converting it to a surface drive so it should work then as well thank you for the help.I'll do the work tomorow and post up pics when i'm done.One more thing do you use this style of water pick up?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:28 PM
hellomynameisdookie

I use a gundert on one of my boats, but if I had to do it again I would use this way. It has less drag and works great.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:25 PM
ridgewalker

Well i just got two emails from "manny".. something or other telling me that with this submerged prop style that the water pick up in the bottom of the hull wont work?!?This is why I asked if anyone uses this set up and how well it works,I don't know and I'm looking for someone with REAL EXPERENCE to help guide me not just a suggestion to me you heard from someone else that is not helpfull to me or anyone else.

The prop on this boat is mounted UNDER the hull not behind the transom as in surface/subsurface drive.It is set forward of the transom(toward the front of the boat)The rudder is mounted under the transom not behind as in a surface/subsurface drive.So if i put the pick up between the prop and the rudder and about 1/4'' left of the keel will it pick up water or not.

I need to figure out where to locate a pick up to give me a good flow as long as the boat is moving that will work with my hull/prop drive and not cause any more drag than is needed to pick up water.It seems simple where to locate a water pick up with a submerged drive but i can;t get a reliable answer,can someone with exp in this area help please?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:06 PM
retaobcr
Banned

I beg your pardon, i sent you 2 emails and sounds like you need to go surface drive as i said about the water pickup still are facts not fiction. Now as for EXPERIENCE take a back seat to me, you'll never ever catch up to me in a million years. I see you won't listen or even take suggestions so go tell Jan about what i typed you thru emails , word for word but i don't think you'll do it. I was young too and knew it all but had to learn the hard way but didn't take me long to straighten out and then everything went smooth with suggestions which i accepted and they were right on. Ok, best of luck, you don't need me!! Bye-Bye!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:14 PM
retaobcr
Banned

I didn't get smart with you as you did with on saying my idea wasn't worth a plug nickel to you or anybody else. That was real rude on your part. I don't give out bad info or get smart unless people come on too strong with sarcasm; that doesn't cut with me, you were out of line and i do think moderators should give you a email to such effect. That's it for you!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:25 PM
ridgewalker

Hey listen hear mr.retaobcr iI don't understand why if you had something noteworthy to say you didn't just post it hear for others to see,do you not want other members to see that you to make mistake's or are sometime's not writing what you mean?And as far as telling Jan what you wrote to me in an e-mail you are acting a bit young yourself with that mentality and aparently you never out grew your ignorance.

SO can someone who is not insane give me some guidence with this problem,thank you
Old 07-23-2007, 10:44 PM
retaobcr
Banned

i'm not insane and you violated forum rules on flaming and harassment. Now i can email if i want, no rules on that as long as info is correct and as far as ignorance goes and mentality too, these sites are for correct info on helping boaters out, not slandering posters. I just got hold of justaddwater, moderator, to remove my name so just go ahead and slander, that shows your ignorance!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:41 PM
ridgewalker

Mr.retaobcr,

You should lighten up and not be such a sensitive senior.It is difficult to understand you, you seem to make things more complicated than need be.I have also seen that you delete some of your posts when no one agree's with you.I did not slander you calling you insane,i only gave my opinion, and i'm not the only one here with that opinion.So shake it off reaobcr
Old 07-24-2007, 08:33 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A propwash pick up on a surface driven boat does not cause any drag. A built in rudder pick up also does not cause drag. There are many options, choose one.

Ryan
Old 07-24-2007, 08:49 PM
ridgewalker

Ryan thanks for the reply but it is a submerged drive not surface drive.If i mount a through bottom hull pickup port between the prop and rudder would it draw up water?

Name:	Tr51201.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	729493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59693.jpg
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	729494   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26694.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	729495  
Old 07-24-2007, 08:52 PM
ryan_t888

A transom mounted pickup would be best. Make sure the pick goes below the boat. At slower speeds the extra drag won't be noticeable. You can get the transom pickups for less than $10.

Ryan
Old 07-24-2007, 09:00 PM
ridgewalker

THANK YOU RYAN,

So would it be best to mount it 1/8''-1/4''off center of the transom just above the rudder with the tube about 1 or 2mm below the bottom of the hull?Should the pick up be right up against the transom or away from the transom,if away how far?Again thank you for your help.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:02 PM
ryan_t888

Yes. I mount my pickups parallel to the transom and as close as possible.

Ryan
Old 07-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Stinger9d9

A transom mounted pickup would cause negligible drag compared to that...umm...thing that the prop shaft is coming out of. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:07 PM
ridgewalker

I will mount it as you stated.Thank you for the quick reply's and direct answer's you are a great help now i will be able to finally go boating and not burn anything up.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:13 PM
ridgewalker

Stinger9d9,
I plan to convert to a surfacedrive in a couple week's and remove that "thing" the prop shaft comes out of.I'm not sure if surface drive or subsurface drive would be best for this hull what's your opinion's?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:15 PM
ryan_t888

I'd make it surface drive as long as the hull is not shaped like a rocking chair.

Ryan
Old 07-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Stinger9d9

I don't know much about the aftereffects of changing a hull to surface drive, but I do know that Wheelnut and Hellomynameisdookie have done it with varying degrees of sucess.

You should ask them.

I do know that Wheelnut's hull was slightly curved underneath (front to back) and that caused him all kinds of trouble with the power he put into it. It literally jumped out of the water over and over. Fun to watch, not so good for speed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.