Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Modded Super Hawaii Problems

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Modded Super Hawaii Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Woodmandan2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modded Super Hawaii Problems

Hey
I bought this boat in china, because i wanted somthing different than the NQD crap that i had. So, I went and looked around alittle and i bought a super hawaii copy for 40 bucks. This boat has a toy grade radio system, and a RX/ESC combo, with two 550's going to a single shaft, like a sh, to a strutter. Well i jacked out the crap ESC, and put in a 120A Esc, so i could have some room to play with for props. the boat came stock with a crap 36 mm plastic rounded off prop. when i drove it with that it just spun in the water. I then put on a 38 mm prop, went faster but not by much, and it had a huge rooster tail. it went mabey 15 mph, and i brought it in because of servo trouble and it was taking on water. I scanvaged a 45mm graupner prop of another boat, put that on, but it was a little too much, and the motors could not unwind, ran for mabey 1.5 minutes and then brought it in and went home. finally today, I took a 42mm prop and i soon got some speed out of it. it was going 25 mph which was great for a 34 inch boat, on 14.4 v and i was likin it. then suddenly, i hear a grinding while going down the lake, and it slowly got of plain and stopped dead still with the motors revvin. I actullay wore out the U-joint
anyone know where i could get a new one?
dan
Old 10-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Gyrotech

Default RE: Modded Super Hawaii Problems

Local hobby shops sell them

or here,
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/ujoint.htm
Old 10-05-2007, 04:45 PM
j.m.

try using this: it's metal so it won't wear out:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=68
Scroll down to the 1/8"( i think that's what it should be) metal universal joint
Old 10-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Woodmandan2

I'm actullay talking about the joint of the outdrive and the motor, on the transom of the boat?
Thanks
Dan
Old 10-05-2007, 08:49 PM
j.m.

oh, i thought you were talking about the coupling between the tranny and the flex/drive shaft. In that case, proboat makes really good ones. And they look super hydrodynamic too, but the problem is you can't find them for sale.
here's a pic:
http://www.proboatmodels.com/ProdInf...0-INSETS-3.jpg
Old 10-06-2007, 05:17 AM
pompebled

Hi Dan,

Replacing the universal coupler is only going to last for a few runs, depending on what coupler you choose.

These couplers tend to bind in cornering (you can hear the motor revs go down), putting a lot of strain on the coupler.

In time you'll need to replace the drive train with a flexshaft and strut, with a seperate rudder, this will run so much smoother and give you more runtime.

Regards, Jan.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Woodmandan2

hea i was trying to slowly turn not to run it down and then it was just dead still. But if i used a joint like that one, It may work better. I am actullay planning on building a new boat, but then i thought about a flex shaft, but then i got no idea on how to run both motors in the tranny to the shaft. the output shaft is way to thick.
Dan
Old 10-07-2007, 08:51 AM
j.m.

they have ones for 5mm shafts, and if that doesn't work you can drill out one of the 5mm u-joints to fit.