Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

What to do with my new purchase

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.
View Poll Results: A poll
another jet boat
27.78%
SV27 in a villain(SV motor,esc,and surface drive)
22.22%
700 surface drive
22.22%
z-drive
11.11%
SV27 outobard villain
16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

What to do with my new purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What to do with my new purchase

Went to Albany today and got to go to a hobby shop, neato, the closest to my house is 90 miles. I went on an impulse buy, but it was cheap anyway. Bought another Villain hull. $50. Hull and deck are pre-joined, transom came reinforced, never been used blah blah blah.........

So the question is, what do you all think I should build? I dont want to spend much money, but I've got the jet drive, the 700sc, jeti esc, radio 16 IB3600's, a SV27 esc and an imagination.....somewhat. I'm willing to buy some things, but want to keep the budget under a $100. Basically a 100 for motor, hardware and such.
answers like start over, the villain hull stinks, do not help, since I bought it, so it's being built.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95244.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	790186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70876.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	790187  
Old 10-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What to do with my new purchase

How about a fan boaty
Old 10-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Quicksilver1

an airboat? no no, I've already realized the budget will have to be higher, since I'd have to buy an ammo motor $70, that leaves 30 bucks for hardware lol
Old 10-25-2007, 03:02 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A SV27 powerd Villain OB

Ryan
Old 10-25-2007, 03:04 PM
brc51

What to do with it is a deep question.Id play with a brushless set up but thats expensive,lot of things you could do but expense considerations is limiting at a hundred bucks. Thats like me sticking a .32 in my nitro vee or the .46 in my thunder cat 31.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Quicksilver1

for some reason I thought this poll would show something coming out on top. I threw z-drive in there for the heck of it, funny how it's the only one without a vote.
The ouboard idea is kind of tempting. but then so are the other choices. There's been a few 700's done already, but it the cheapest, but least creative. The sv27 drive would be interested to see and the outboard would just be, well really different...... keep the ideas coming and if you have a good reason for a choice, say so.

thx guys.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:18 PM
brc51

Twin electric outboards would be cool. i had two lying around that i sold to a guy on rcu and he had them on a shockwave 26 and it hauled. And looked good too.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Quicksilver1

ya know, I was looking at those SV27 powered ep1/nitro OB hybrids. Those look not only expensive for all the components, but complicated. Also that would be the only way I'm slapping an OB on this, I want to go fast and not have the boat be just a novelty. Starting to think a surface drive is the way to go, question is, what will go faster a 12-16 cell 700 or a 12-14 cell (SV or ammo) motor? I would think the ammo/SV combo would be fastest, kinda of tryign to figure out what the down side is. I'm gonna take a cat nap and think, while the voting continues.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Quicksilver1

If I were to go with using my 700sc with a surface drive, anyone have suggestions for hardware?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:06 PM
ryan_t888

SV27 hardware?

Ryan
Old 10-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Quicksilver1

I guess jet drive is the winner..

This will be different than the other villain, not much, but setup differently, and I'll probably buy that ammo motor for it.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:15 PM
terry kelly

i'd take a few drinks of that canadian club next to it and think about it a bit..lol seriously could you post a pic of a jet drive . never seen one before. but it sounds cool enough i would do that to it.

terminator
Old 10-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Quicksilver1

ORIGINAL: terry kelly

i'd take a few drinks of that canadian club next to it and think about it a bit..lol seriously could you post a pic of a jet drive . never seen one before. but it sounds cool enough i would do that to it.

terminator
Ironically I have a villain with a jet drive in it, the question is do I make another one, drawing from what I've learned from the first. The yellow villain is kind of a frankenboat, bit over weight with metal and fiberglass. This one, I could do a nice clean install, however I dont know how much better it will be.....I'm still up in the air really, The dremel tool is next to the hull, but I'm hesitating. []

p.s. some heinekens are on the way..........man really thinking I want a surface drive on this.....oh the choices!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22546.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	790429  
Old 10-25-2007, 10:26 PM
ryan_t888

ORIGINAL: Quicksilver
Ironically I have a villain with a jet drive in it, the question is do I make another one, drawing from what I've learned from the first.
The easy answer - no.

A bit biased but I'm still leaning towards an outboard.

What does your entire fleet consist of? Anything that you're missing and this can fill that spot?

Ryan
Old 10-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Quicksilver1

you want to know something pathetic, here comes some honesty, the villain is my only completed hobby grade boat. My other two boats; are my almost finished Dumas chris craft and the retired billings jet boat. So guess what, I'm technically a noob. I've been sitting here for the last hour researching flex drives, since I've never even used one before. This is why I dont really want another jet and an outboard might frustrate me trying to setup, so I thought an easy flex drive strut and offset rudder would do well for a first propeller driven boat.

Right now I'm stuck on the hardware, I see speedmaster is very good, but kind of pricey, although really I havent seen to many choices, especially for a deep vee mono. If you have any suggestions that would help a lot. I was also considering wire drives but know even less. btw I am using the search button

also, I would like it so I could enter a race with the boat. not sure what that entails.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:02 PM
hemiblas

How about a dual brushless setup with 2 10l motors and pick up some stock villain hardware? Get an extra SV27 controller and you are good to go. I think it might break the budget but sounds like it would be wicked fast.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:23 PM
ryan_t888

QS

A flex driven boat is pretty simple to setup. An OB powered hull is even easier to set up IMO.

Perhaps you may like to go for a prop driven boat on that hull. If so, any type of hardware that has a 3/16" prop shaft stub with .130 flex will work well provided it can be physically adapted to the transom on that hull. I personally have 0 experience with a villain, so I'm not sure if a stinger (SV type hardware) or strut will work better. If you wanted a stinger with offset rudder, the SV hardware may be a decent option. I prefer struts with an offset rudder and like the looks of them better.

Here's a few different types of each:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=69

Ryan
Old 10-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Quicksilver1

I priced out the SV hardware at tower. Since OFE doesnt sell all the necessary parts. It would cost like $115, forget that. The "Speedmaster Mono Hardware System" on OFE is complete for $95. I'm assuming it comes with the drive dog and prop nut(hard to tell) seems like I just need a prop and coupler with that. Looks nice too, so then it would basically meet my budget, I'll just use the 700sc. How's that sound? Unless someone knows of a cheaper alternative.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:24 AM
VDub99AML
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Speedmaster hardware is VERY nice. I have it on my Super Hawaii. I don't remember if it comes with the drive dog or not,
but it does come with the prop nut.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:49 PM
kahnen

I didn't vote because I can't chose 2 options but what I would choose is a surface drive one. As for power plant, since you said you might want to race it, you should check with your local club or where ever you plan to race it and find out what they are allowing. You thinking spec class? Some places are going sv motor over the 700s for spec classes next year. I'm kinda biased haveing done this with mine but you'll make your quite nice so I know you'll be happy with it, I'm happy with mine
Old 10-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Quicksilver1

ok, this is hard to explain, but I decided a compromise between what I want and the way the poll went. First it's getting the jet drive, however it will be removable and be able to be replaced with surface drive hardware within 20 minutes or so.

It's really tough to explain in words, but the jet isnt going in like the other, I'm going to install the jet unit, with the back of the intake always at the transom. So effectively it will be moved aft 2 inches. Most of the unit will protrude out the back. Then I'm going to lube the drive duct inside the hull and glass the whole back, glassing right over the drive, what this will do is, create a tunnel in the hull, so if I pull the dirve out from underneith the boat will still be watertight, this gives me the ability to still use a surface drive when I want.

I'm going to fabricate most of the surface drive hardware from aluminum, but may buy a speedmaster strut. That probably made no sense at all, so I'll have to explain with pictures as I build. Kind of excited, but it's going to be a lot of work, especially since I really want to do this right once and not have a frankenboat.

p.s. with this setup, I could use the 700sc or the sv27 system, not a big deal to swap it out. and this boat will keep its keel, I'm going for light weight and speed, as apposed to ridiculous power and built like a tank.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:05 PM
CadillacDTS2001

the mono strut from OSE will work But id odes not come with a flex shaft
I would do single SV setup in that . . simple and eazy
Old 10-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Quicksilver1

yeah, I might buy the SV strut, sleeve, flex cable and make my rudder, that part shouldnt be too hard to make. I saw all the things I'd need at a hardware store today.

The poll is funny almost tied on every setup choice. I think jet/surface drive should make for an interesting project

Taylor, do to happen to know ho to make your own strut do you? hard to find pics of them apart/off a boat, seems Like I could just build up some aluminum out of brass tubing for a strut. Doesnt the strut sleeve just consist of a brass tube with holes drill into it for grease?

Sorry for the questions, but If can build it myself, obviously for one it's cheaper, fun and then I can make exactly what I want. mind you I only have a soldering iron dremel tool and a store with tons of brass, aluminum, stainless steel and copper stock.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:19 AM
CadillacDTS2001

To make your own strut. It's not that hard. Just out of brass and epoxy it into the boat and the brass is just enough that you can bend it
But you do need a different side and you will need ones of these for the stub of the shaft
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=oct-oc6ltsb
It's a sleeve acts as a bearing/bushing.

But if not just buy one of these
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...qub7881&cat=76