Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

A Sad day

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

A Sad day

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:24 PM
SV27dayton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Sad day

My wife and I went on a xmas shopping expedition on Sunday afternoon and while we were out we went by my Local Hobby shop......And the lights were out and the shelves were empty. There was a note on the window sighting the economic conditions for the fold and a thank you for loyal patronage. Pretty sad to see this happen. He actually carried some boat stuff. I typically do most of my big ticket stuff on line but I got all my scratch build wood there. Any idea where this stuff is available on line?

Bumed out boater.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:28 PM
oceansfiftyseven

Default RE: A Sad day

balsausa.com
Old 12-03-2008, 09:38 AM
773W
My Feedback: (1)

Thats too bad. Had the samething happen up here this year at my LHS. It wasnt the best little LHS around but at least I had one. It was a good place to hang with others with my sickness. Left with no choice but to shop on-line now.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:27 PM
SV27dayton

Thanks Ocean.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:18 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

over the past 3yrs or so there have been 2 hobbytown usa go under here in middle tennesse . glade to say there are two left that are close to me one for more of a plane lhs and the other is my fav they have it all includeing two dirt tracks . most of the guy that shop there are like family and we all pitch in to help it stay open . but to be honist if it did have the tracks i dont thank it would have made it .
Old 12-03-2008, 06:54 PM
CadillacDTS2001

our hobby shop here actually JUST bought the unit next to them.... they are going to make half of the unit into another area for the LHS and the other half a in door track.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:56 PM
SV27dayton

I think the on-line stores are killing them. On-line stores don't have dirt tracks tho.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:10 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

mine started out with a indoor mini track it was pretty cool . it got me hocked in to a $600 moded mini-t and that was all alum and carben and a brushed motor . lol funny thing was i was wupping up on the bl guies . they where way over power and would loss it in the turns
Old 12-04-2008, 12:06 AM
fathead45

there is a hobby shop right there off of 725 and the road that cox aboritum is on. by lonestar steak house. they have a good selection of wood. boats not as much though. i wish it was warmer, we are going to be doing some work in oakwood for the next few weeks and we have a couple of jet drive boats to test out.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:40 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: SV27dayton

I think the on-line stores are killing them. On-line stores don't have dirt tracks tho.

Well, to be perfectly accurate, it is the people who choose to buy from on line stores that are killing the LHS. Just like the people in the small town who kill their own businesses by shopping at the new Wal-Mart. But everybody wants a deal and even when they know it may not be in their own best interest they will go for the discount every time.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:28 AM
773W

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: SV27dayton

Well, to be perfectly accurate, it is the people who choose to buy from on line stores that are killing the LHS. Just like the people in the small town who kill their own businesses by shopping at the new Wal-Mart. But everybody wants a deal and even when they know it may not be in their own best interest they will go for the discount every time.
I supported my LHS as much, if not more then anyone around. The fact is it did'nt carry everything I needed and I HAD no choice but to order from a on-line shop.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:49 AM
SV27dayton

silent - I get your point but based on free market theory, price is going to dictate who wins and who looses. I don't see any comercials blaming people for shopping at walmart, but rather blaming Walmart for their methods of driving prices down.

Fathead: I know that store but didn't know they had wood. Thanks. I go within a block of that store every day during my work commute. They're way down on boats as a priority but about the same as the other place in crosspoint center (now gone). I know some good ponds if youre heading to the oakwood area. Where do you live? What do you run?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:41 PM
fathead45

i live by lima. but were down in dayton alot for work. any of those ponds good for fishing too, lol.

i have a twin prop boat from harbor frieght, but this winter it is getting 2 mini jet drives with speed 600 behind them. i just need to work on it.

my coworker has built a custom boat with a scale jet drive with a speed 700 behind it. one day this summer when were working down there we will ahve to meet up and check out our boats.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:02 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

tock care of my lhs this week with almost $200 worth of parts for 4 diff cars
Old 12-04-2008, 10:07 PM
dicko

My LHS just got bought out by a franchise & it's never been better, they've started stocking parts for the RC racer instead of everything not needed for the RC basher, train enthusiast & plastic model builder. I enjoy going to the model shop again.[8D]
Old 12-05-2008, 12:07 AM
SV27dayton

Fathead,
Lima? that's a hike. I've never fished the ponds, I just aireate them . Yea if you are here regularly we'll have to hook up.

Dicko,
Good for you. Apparently people here don't have time or money for hobbies. [&o]
Old 12-05-2008, 12:46 AM
RC_Bob

Oh my, sounds like I'd better check my local hobbytownusa and D and J hobby to see if they're still up 'n running.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:26 AM
773W

Be sure to buy something while your there!!! support your LHS today..........while you still have one!!