Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

"secret" info from castle.....

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

"secret" info from castle.....

Old 08-04-2009, 02:25 PM
rebuilder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "secret" info from castle.....

I am working on a new project to be shared in the near future and was doing some reasearch on the 4600kv. The tech at castle (who I will not name) said that the 4600 could handle 4s lipo, I had read a couple items about it and wasn't convinced. He said it is right at the redline limit and that it is the most powerful setup of their cm motors. Apparently the redline is right at 65-70,000 rpms........he said they do not post this info but that it is accurate, just thought I would pass this on so we can all have wicked fast 4600 4s setups!!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:07 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE:

4600kv on 4s will not work. I'm running 2900kv on 4s and that is already pushing the limits.

Ryan
Old 08-04-2009, 06:30 PM
rebuilder

Default RE: RE:

ORIGINAL: ryan_t888

4600kv on 4s will not work. I'm running 2900kv on 4s and that is already pushing the limits.

Ryan
Accord to him it will, he is a tech at castle HQ. I tend to believe him, especially since i've googled it and there are many out there that have done it. You either gear your car or prop/gear your boat for it. He said the main concern is the esc, what type to use etc......, my specific question to him was can the cm36 4600kv handle 4s and he said it could, he stated the motors were made to be ran up to 65-70,000 rpms and still be in their safe zone. Think about it, a 5700kv castle on 3s = 68,400 rpms and folks do that all the time, a 4600 on 4s is right at the same rpms, but with more torque and power. I'm just sharing what he told me.............i may try it, I saw on another forum where a member with the name of Access stated it as well, (is he the same Access on rcuniverse?) The esc would have to be real strong, probably more than 120 amp, and 4s+ rated of course. Maybe this is more of a car situation.......for the car forum.

Has anyone here ever done this.............i bet if i posted on the car forums i'd get a bunch of feedback. I just posted here because i "hang out" here most of the time, maybe i should have posted in - Motors : general discussion..................
Old 08-04-2009, 07:57 PM
WakeBoardnBash

Default RE:

ok?

Cool?

Thanks for telling us... ?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:34 PM
ryan_t888

Have you looked at Neu motors at all? All their 15** motors are safe up to 60 000RPM. Many car guys have exceeeded this. I have a car setup with a Neu motor just over 60 000RPM unloaded. It handles it fine, but the car is a beast at this level.

Could I ever use this in a boat?
No!

Just for reference I would have to run a 15-20mm prop in order to get away with it for sport use. That wouldn't push my hull due to lack of thrust. That is why for cars it works all the time and for boats it won't work.

If you are interested in high RPM setups for boat use, look at SAW setups. They commonly exceed 40 000RPM upwards of nearly 55 000RPM. But it's only for 2-3 passes or 15-20 seconds of WOT.

Keep something in mind. Kv does not produce faster boats. More wattage produces faster boats. Just because the Honda redlines at 8500RPM doesn't mean its faster than the Viper that redlines at 6000RPM.

Ryan
Old 08-04-2009, 11:04 PM
joshreynolds777
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE:

Good Point
Old 08-05-2009, 08:48 AM
rebuilder

Thanks for all the input.........................I'll go ahead and share with you that my "project" IS a boat, its a vee, its very light and i am running a 2.33 : 1 reduction, so i think it may work. I AM going to try it on 3s first to see if it is acceptable to what i am expecting, i may run 3s and go to 2 : 1 reduction, i'll just play with it a little. After thinking about it, i guess my main point of this thread was to let others know, and especially to get input on, the subject of 4600kv on 4s, since i bet everyone just thinks, 4600.....3s, because thats all you hear............Heck the worst that can happen is that i fry and esc or a castle 4600..............i've done worse.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:21 AM
ryan_t888

Default RE:

The only way it will work is if you gear it down. But then theres the added weight and increased friction, really not necessary if the proper kv was selected originally.

Maybe I'm just not getting it. When I hear 4600kv, I think of 2s.

I have a 5500kv hull running on 2s that does 55mph. Taylor on here used a 4100kv motor on 2s and we were neck and neck. A 2900kv motor on 4s that will exceed 70mph in 7-8lb hull. An 1800kv SV motor on 4s in a rigger hull approaching 50mph.

Is the goal here to see how fast you can push this hull or what?

Ryan
Old 08-05-2009, 12:29 PM
rebuilder

Default RE:

Ryan.................i am gearing it down, i stated that i was going to run a 2.33 : 1 reduction. Also, i want some decent speed, but im not lookin' for 55 mph...................id be happy with 40. I am always toying with different ideas (i have eight boats, not including the Brand new Cen aquajet i won on e-bay last week for $41 and havent received yet), and this idea is with a proven hull, with every single bit of un-needed weight taken out, it will probably weigh less than half of the original weight with the stock setup. Notice i havent mentioned the Hull, you and most others are VERY familiar with it, as soon as its up and tweaked right, i'll post the boat and pics and such.

BTW, thanks for your input.