Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:22 PM
NobodyFamous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

I do not own one of these, but would it be posable to do a central bolt/latch similar to the Villain EX, and then use foam tape or a bead of silicon along the bottom.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:43 PM
dhoyt7141

ya, that might work.

I have finals until tuesday night so I don't have any time to devote to the boat at the moment... it makes me sad haha

maybe a bead of silicon with some swivel locks on the corners might work.

The problem, at least for me, it that my hatch isn't uniform along the edges. near the corners, the edges flair up a bit, so the hatch doesn't fit snugly against the boat anyways. Kinda makes me a little made because that is just bad manufacturing, but of well, I'm sure I can do something over the summer
Old 06-06-2010, 10:27 AM
cyhohk

Pls check this www.deltaforce-hk.com

CY
Old 06-06-2010, 02:18 PM
NobodyFamous

did a quick search, this is the type of tape I mean. I used to use it for sub boxes (car subwoofer) and can easily get an air tight seal between raw wood and the speaker. Mind you that is held down with 8 screws, tight. But it may do the trick on the boat. It would even seal the uneven gaps. You may have to sand them so there are no sharp sudden changes.
Take pictures if you try. keep us up to date.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:42 PM
dhoyt7141

wouldn't that be more of a permanent solution? I have to take the hatch off every time I change the battery..
Old 06-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

That stuff wont work. The hull is only indented enough to hold the cover. Theres no room for that foam tape... It will bulge up and look dumb... Besides that, all the force fighting back... Mechanical fastener, high speed crash = cracked hull. Just a bad idea.

Just stick to hockey tape or risk the consequences.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:45 PM
dhoyt7141

Ok, well i've come up with an idea i'm going to try next week sometime.

Cover to entire inside of the boat and also the outside. Spray cooking oil (Pam) on the area that contacts the hull. Bead silicon insulation around the hull, enough to seal it with the boat. Then, press the hatch against the boat firmly so the silicon takes the shape of the hull. Let it sit for about 2 to 4 hours so the silicon sets on the hatch. Remove it hoping the cooking spray did its job and let the silicon set overnight to make sure its done. wipe the cooking oil off the boat and the silicone.

if all does well, the silicon should get a pretty good seal with the boat.

i'll let you know how it goes!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:36 AM
carakter

It's good that you guys are thinking out of the box concerning the hatch seal. As far as I know, the only method that's worked real well with all sizes FE boats is still the hatch tape. The tape helps keep the hatch from blowing out in case of a spill.

Come to think of it . . . it's not really that cumbersome . . . taking out the tape to change the battery.
It just takes a few seconds to do it anyway.
Let us know if you guys find a better solutiion. [8D]

Old 06-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Cornelp

I tried this method before... quite messy. Try with thin cling film instead of oil. Silicone on the hull, cling film on top, press the hatch on it, remove the hatch carefully (or leave it for a couple of hours, remove the film and you're ready...
Old 06-07-2010, 02:15 PM
NobodyFamous

basstronics, you make a good point about the cracked hull.  I don't have one of these so I can not look at it to decide.

Good luck with the silicone.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:28 AM
tman52748
My Feedback: (1)

What tape is everyone using? It needs to be fairly narrow for this boat design. I need to pick up some additional tape and I was curious what everyone was using. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Cornelp

I usually use clear Cellpack (a softer electrical tape), comes in 19 or 25mm. For hulls that are one color only, a good quality electrical tape (3M or similar) is excellent.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:02 AM
carakter

I use 3M auto electrical tape in all my boats. Cheap and works well. [8D]
Old 06-08-2010, 01:00 PM
plane-addict

I don't know the English word for it, but we use some single sided strip in door openings to keep the wind out. I am sure you have something similar in the States. Can you use that?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 PM
tmaxx445

Just an FYI, I was on HobbyKing today looking at a few things and I kept getting pop ups for the items for a $1 or $2 less then the normal price, then I was looking at the small bolt, and got a pop up to buy it for only $109. It is $40 off, if you can get the same pop up that I did. It looks like they redid their website a little bit, and now it has pop ups for different messages too. Just thought I would share, in case anyone was looking to pick up this boat. It is still on back order, but it is still a really good price when they come back into stock. I will attach a screen shot of the web site with the pop up.

tmaxx445
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35402.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1450960  
Old 06-10-2010, 02:18 AM
carakter

@plane addict - you're talking about weatherstrips right? I think that's too big for the small recess on the hull.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:08 PM
plane-addict

Yeah, weatherstrips it is. Next time at the hardware store I will see what they have.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Stinger9d9

ORIGINAL: tmaxx445

Just an FYI, I was on HobbyKing today looking at a few things and I kept getting pop ups for the items for a $1 or $2 less then the normal price, then I was looking at the small bolt, and got a pop up to buy it for only $109. It is $40 off, if you can get the same pop up that I did. It looks like they redid their website a little bit, and now it has pop ups for different messages too. Just thought I would share, in case anyone was looking to pick up this boat. It is still on back order, but it is still a really good price when they come back into stock. I will attach a screen shot of the web site with the pop up.

tmaxx445
Yeah, the same thing happened to me. Too bad the boat is on back order...$109 is a steal.

Those automated discount prompts come up on other items too. I just picked up some cheaper than cheap lipo packs. Less than $16 for 20C 5000mah 2S packs was too good to pass up. They are the same packs I bought a year ago for quite a bit more and I know they are good.

It's worth checking out to see what kind of discount pops up while looking at stuff.

(By the way guys, the popups work with my Firefox browser running adblock pro, so if you don't get a prompt right away, just wait around a bit - they probably won't get blocked by your browser).
Old 06-10-2010, 11:10 PM
tmaxx445

ORIGINAL: Stinger9d9

Yeah, the same thing happened to me. Too bad the boat is on back order...$109 is a steal.

Those automated discount prompts come up on other items too. I just picked up some cheaper than cheap lipo packs. Less than $16 for 20C 5000mah 2S packs was too good to pass up. They are the same packs I bought a year ago for quite a bit more and I know they are good.

It's worth checking out to see what kind of discount pops up while looking at stuff.

(By the way guys, the popups work with my Firefox browser running adblock pro, so if you don't get a prompt right away, just wait around a bit - they probably won't get blocked by your browser).
What 5000mah lipos were you able to get for $16? You said that you have some now, how do you like them? I am looking to get some Lipos for my supervee 27. Have you tried them in your supervee, and how do you like them?

thanks,
tmaxx445

Sent from my iPhone
Old 06-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Stinger9d9

What 5000mah lipos were you able to get for $16? You said that you have some now, how do you like them? I am looking to get some Lipos for my supervee 27. Have you tried them in your supervee, and how do you like them?
They were Zippy 20C 5000mah packs. They have them right here:

[link]http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8578&Product_Name=ZIPPY_Flightmax_5000mAh_2S1P_20C_[/link]

(Unfortunately they are now out of stock).

I have used these in my SV27, my Top Speed 2 tunnel hull brushless conversion and my Hammer Brushless surface drive conversion with good results. I know 20C is not a huge discharge rating, but with 5000mah capacity, that equates to 100amp discharge capacity (which is WAY more than enough for the SV27).

Now if only the Small Bolt gets back in stock. I like that pop-up discount stuff!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:04 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found even without the pop-up it goes to $109 whan put in your cart.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:47 PM
dhoyt7141

I just got the pop up sitting on that page and got them for $16.... =)
Old 06-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

I just got a new servo in for the boat.

Futaba S-3114
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNCV6

SPECS: 6V 4.8V
Torque: 24 oz-in (1.7 kg/cm) 21 oz-in (1.5 kg/cm)
Speed: 0.09 sec/60° 0.10 sec/60°
Dimensions: 0.9 x 0.4 x 0.8" (7/8 x 7/16 x 13/16) (22 x 11 x 20mm)
Weight: .28oz (1/4oz) (7.8g)
Lead Length: 6.5" (165mm)
Output Spline Diameter: 4mm

21/0z-in not to bad... I manually moved it, fairly easy... It fits right into the stock servo mount that why I got them. Hpwever due to it moving so easily, I dont think it will be strong enough. The servo that was in the boat didnt move that easy even...

Im going to return these servos instead of even trying them. Just better to bust out the old mount and place a slightly larger and much stronger servo in its place.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:37 PM
dhoyt7141

ORIGINAL: Basstronics
Just better to bust out the old mount and place a slightly larger and much stronger servo in its place.
I completely agree. If I can make a suggestion, I would go for a metal geared servo. I got a 929MG corona servo and havn't had any problems with it yet. I had to rip out the old housing, but it is completely worth it in my opinion!

Old 06-12-2010, 02:42 PM
verado

ORIGINAL: Stinger9d9

They were Zippy 20C 5000mah packs. They have them right here:

[link]http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8578&Product_Name=ZIPPY_Flightmax_5000mAh_2S1P_20C_[/link]

(Unfortunately they are now out of stock).

I have used these in my SV27, my Top Speed 2 tunnel hull brushless conversion and my Hammer Brushless surface drive conversion with good results. I know 20C is not a huge discharge rating, but with 5000mah capacity, that equates to 100amp discharge capacity (which is WAY more than enough for the SV27).

Now if only the Small Bolt gets back in stock. I like that pop-up discount stuff!
These lipos work for the stock sv? How did you run them,series..parallel?
Also, what other boats will these batteries work for? All stock of course. And what type of charger do you need? Im new to lipos...thanks for any info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.