Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Boat noob with a Mini Cat Velocity (help with setup)

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Boat noob with a Mini Cat Velocity (help with setup)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:26 PM
nickrummy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat noob with a Mini Cat Velocity (help with setup)

Well I got this boat in a trade. I have an NQD I've been playing with but wanted something faster in open water.

This boat came with a Seaking ESC from hobbypartz and a 2040 4,800kv motor as well. After a little research I seen that this motor seemed to be a bit small and also a bit high on the kv rating. Figured I'd throw it in there to see what it would do anyhow. I mounted my turnigy 3S 2200 in the port side of the boat. Receiver in the back. I could NOT for the life of my get the ESC to calibrate with my 3PK (FASST system). Ended up just putting in a Sidewinder in there for testing.

Aynways, here's how I started to set it up. I'm new to all this so please feel free to criticize.

Test fit the 3S 2200 Turnigy pack

Motor mounted with adapter plate I had to make.

Turns out that coupler had so much slop in it that when it was tightened down it was way off center. I ended using a coupler I had made a while back that worked out well.

Buttoned up with the seaking ESC. Ended up not being able to use it though.

Took it out for it's test run today and learned a few things. First, the battery is way to heavy. What is everyone else running in these things? I thought a 2200 was pretty small but I guess not?

Here's some video action.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NumuFeuvhQE[/youtube]

The boat ran pretty well but I could tell it didn't have the top end it should. It also pulled to the left slightly which I'm assuming was the weight imbalance. The motor also got fairly hot. It didn't seem like the water cooling was too effective. I think it's pretty restrictive. I might try some different tubing. Is there a motor you guys recommend? Also what about a battery? Maybe I can find a battery that's small enough to fit in the middle between the flex shaft and transom of the boat then I can put my electronics on the sides?

Sorry for such a long post and all the questions!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:13 PM
NobodyFamous

Default RE: Boat noob with a Mini Cat Velocity (help with setup)

I would get 2 small 2s packs, and swap the motor for something round 2300Kv.  That way you can run the batts on either side to keep balance.

4800Kv is too high even for 2s in a boat.  30,000rpm is the goal, and a prop to match the hull/motor size.  That's all the help I can offer.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:39 PM
nickrummy

I moved some electronics around last night and got the boat evened out more even though it's still not perfect. Also swapped over to some tygon line I had from my Baja to use for the water lines. Flowed water much better than what the guy before me had on it.

Today's test run started out very promising! Then ended in an epic fail........

Yes, the COOLING jacket got hot enough to melt the tygon line. Melted my ABS spacer, lipo was pretty toasty as well. Thought it was puffed but it looks like it was just the shrink wrap. It's cooled down so I'll put a volt meter on it in a few. Sidewinder seemed to have survived which says a lot..... Motor is toasted though.

I knew better but pushed onward anyway. I knew the motor was to high of a KV rating and too small of a can size. The new line I used for cooling flowed water much better. Figured I was safe but obviously not. I ran it about 5-6 times up and down the pond and on the way back I could see a noticeable amount of power loss. Started in towards shore and lost all power then a nice puff of smoke escaped from under the hatch.

Time to search for the correct motor for this boat now. Any ideas? Stock motor is 3,000kv and labeled 24b x 45l.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Vanguo88

The motor you have on is too small and too high KV.

I have new replacement motors for this boat if you need it.

email to John at [email protected]
Old 09-03-2010, 07:41 AM
nickrummy

ORIGINAL: Vanguo88

The motor you have on is too small and too high KV.

I have new replacement motors for this boat if you need it.

email to John at [email protected]
Email sent.