Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

speed record brushless AIRBOAT 75.2mph

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

speed record brushless AIRBOAT 75.2mph

Old 08-27-2010, 08:52 PM
71dartswinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed record brushless AIRBOAT 75.2mph

75.2 MPH brushless powered outrigger AIrboat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhbaulMN_Q8
Old 08-29-2010, 11:37 AM
keithbradley
My Feedback: (38)

Default RE: speed record brushless AIRBOAT 75.2mph

Looks like he definitely would benifit from a longer run.  Thats pretty impressive for an air boat in such a small area.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:12 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

Thats pretty cool man. At first I thought it wasnt going to do much with all the water it was getting into the prop
Old 08-29-2010, 04:37 PM
BACKEMF

This is interesting.... Ducted fan next? !
Old 08-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Got RPM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Airboats can accelerate very strongly due to the high thrust of the large prop. A ducted fan is not the way to go fast with an airboat, they have much less thrust than a prop and work best when operating at high speed. Few DF airboats have been successful on water, although DF cars can work very well and are safer that prop-driven cars.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:57 PM
coriolan

Don't mean to rain on your parade but it take more than a fuzzy picture of a GPS screen to claim a record. NAMBA and IMPBA have no class for electric r/c airboats and tether airboats are well into 150mph anyway!
http://www.onthewire.co.uk/records.htm
http://www.impba.net/attachments/063...02010%201a.pdf
Old 08-29-2010, 09:22 PM
res3567

Awwww...CMON!!!!It was a good run andlets just leave it at that.....we ain't talkin tethered....we talkin rc airboat........
ORIGINAL: coriolan

Don't mean to rain on your parade but it take more than a fuzzy picture of a GPS screen to claim a record. NAMBA and IMPBA have no class for electric r/c airboats and tether airboats are well into 150mph anyway!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:47 PM
coriolan

Don't see any point about claiming a record which is not documented, talk is cheap, BS is BS...........................................[8D]
Old 08-29-2010, 10:56 PM
sundogz

Looked believable to me. That's the fastest airboat I've seen yet. And I agree, it needs a larger pond Wow!
Old 08-29-2010, 11:17 PM
coriolan

It might have reached that speed, its just that the methode of recording the speed and the way it is shown doesn't look acceptable to "claim" a record when you see how its done in the real world.
Anybody can claim anything and then has to prove it before it can be called a "record".
Old 08-30-2010, 01:23 AM
asupervee72

it doesn't say official world record or anything, could be a personal best. Plus the title probably gets more hits
Old 08-30-2010, 11:05 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, we don't need anyone to rain on any parades here. Records are always part of an organization or grouping. No where is it mentioned to be a record of ANY organization.

Don't see any point about claiming a record which is not documented, talk is cheap, BS is BS...........................................
Some people have goals, and some people have achievments which satisfy goals. And some like to knock and bash others achievments. Personal records are often the most challenging and rewarding to beat.

It might have reached that speed, its just that the methode of recording the speed and the way it is shown doesn't look acceptable to "claim" a record when you see how its done in the real world.
Anybody can claim anything and then has to prove it before it can be called a "record".
Here on the real world as opposed to the fake world - A video of the R/C without ever leaving the RC out of view. showing the GPS at 0 then making a run returning to view the GPS has been a very acceptable way of determining records on different levels. I've seen high dollar prizes and cash prizes won with this exact set standard.

75.2 MPH brushless powered outrigger AIrboat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhbaulMN_Q8
That hull sure looks like it's moving! That's quite the achievement. Faster than at least 80% of the members of this forum have ever gone on water. And it's an airboat.

Perhaps it's an RCU Brushless Airboat Speed Record!

Ryan
Old 08-30-2010, 06:09 PM
pinky_d_brain

Considering that he has been working at it for a long time some of this is a very hard blow to take
I don't know why he posted it here maybe to call out some water propped guys for a friendly compatishon I don't no but that's up to him
This is some links fallowing his hard work and some of the rules we fallow for are friendly compatishon
http://www.rcairboats.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1903
http://www.rcairboats.net/RCAA.html
http://www.rcairboats.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=49
Grats man even though it's not quite official yet
Old 08-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Got RPM

It might have reached that speed, its just that the methode of recording the speed and the way it is shown doesn't look acceptable to ''claim'' a record when you see how its done in the real world. Anybody can claim anything and then has to prove it before it can be called a ''record''.
In the RC Airboat world what he did is the official way to claim a record. It is the "real world" for R/C airboats. Unlike the waterprop guys, the airboat crowd has adopted a unique method of verifying speeds that fits their needs. Their method has the advantage of allowing anyone to try to set a record as long as he has a GPS and a video camera - he doesn't have to travel long distances to go to an "official" sanctioned SAW event (that doesn't even recognize airboats). He is competing under a completely different set of rules than what you happen to like. So what. An easy solution for you - don't compete in airboat SAW racing. That way everyone will be happy.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:28 PM
71dartswinger

Thank you Got RPM
air boats are a lot harder to get fast speeds out of . Try keeping a 24"long 12" wide completly flat bottom boat straight to do a speed record run gust of wind and you spinout
and the GPS/Video is the way we do records. the boat in vid is outrigger style home made boat
i took my Air boat to a race in Dover Fl (Brandon Boat Club) and i recived a LOT of postive comments and very few negative ones
the biggest was why we dont use water cooling for motors.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:51 PM
coriolan

Hum! did I open a can of worms here[8D]I didn't realize the "Airboat Fan club" had such a thin skinThank "pinky_d_brain" for those links, now I see more clearly what its all about and recognize the effort.
The first link to You Tube didn't look very serious (there is lot of junk on You tube), but the boat is indeed fast and I can see it didn't come easy. So congratulation for the good run.
Now about "Got RPM" comment, I guess its Ok as a measuring method for informal run but makes it not reliable as a mean setting records since who is to says the GPS reading was of the actual boat run and not spliced in after the fact! If you want those efforts to be taken seriously you should get a bit more formal.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Got RPM

If you want those efforts to be taken seriously you should get a bit more formal.
You seem to be the only one who has a problem taking their efforts seriously. Somehow I doubt any of them are very concerned about your personal opinion of their record system. It's their game - let them have their fun.

If you are so concerned about official records, why not go to a NAMBA or IMPBA SAW event yourself and try to set some? It's fun and not so easy to do.....

Old 08-31-2010, 10:09 AM
coriolan

Have been with NAMBA and APBA for a long time, know what real speed look like[sm=lol.gif]
Old 08-31-2010, 11:58 AM
crispyspa

I guess its Ok as a measuring method for informal run but makes it not reliable as a mean setting records since who is to says the GPS reading was of the actual boat run and not spliced in after the fact! If you want those efforts to be taken seriously you should get a bit more formal.

How do the IMPBA and the NAMBA organizations do it?

At large sanctioned events with lots of dollars to spend, they most likely use a timer system with two points of measure correct?

With the RCAA, we have to use the GPS method because we cannot (as individuals all over the world) afford to buy such timing equipment. The RCAA came up with some video stipulations to lessen the chance of someone cutting and splicing a GPS reading to get a speed record.

There is no reason to cheat at a speed record anyway when the prize is not monetary, It's just for fun and bragging rights on RCAW forums.

The rules:
When documenting your speed, the video must be taped in this fashion. The video must start by showing the GPS maximum speed set between zero and 5 mph in or on the boat. The camera must not pan away or lose sight of the boat from the time the GPS has been shown to read between 0 - 5 mph to the time after the run when the GPS is shown displaying the max speed. The video must show the boat coming ashore and the GPS being removed and/or being shown to display the maximum speed achieved. The video must also be accompanied with original sound. The only editing allowed will be at the beginning and the end of the video for purposes of adding titles and credits.

After. record acceptance, the record submitter will have to send an unedited video in the highest resolution to [email protected] for the record log. Keep this in mind as you are making you record runs and submissions.

The stipulations on how the video must be documented are to ensure that the contest is fair and no one has the ability to alter the true readings achieved.

If there are any controversies on a video... the validity of the record will be voted on by the RCAA Board of Directors. Any decisions will be based solely on the stipulations set forth for the contest.

Let's have some fun and see who can be the fastest....or who outruns the fastest!
There used to be a radar gun section for speed runs, but that was deemed too dangerous for the videographer since the object must travel AT or AWAY from the gun to be accurate, Plus the radar doesn't work all that well on water.

Anyway...Even for a waterpropper....75 MPH is pretty impressive for a persons first boat, ain't it? To do that with an airboat is is downright amazing IMHO.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:40 PM
Bradh2000

Tether airboats? Are you seriously comparing an airboat to a tethered airboat? I want to see one of those tethered boats run at those speeds without a tether, let alone float. And good luck collecting the splinters left over from the other side of the pond. Speaking of class, your response to the posted video is proof you have none.

Did I miss the part in the subject where it said "Looking for acceptance to claim record in the eyes of 'real world' members of _insert_org_name_here". I claim you are person trying to provoke a response, so I plan on giving you one.

Don't see any point about claiming a record which is not documented, talk is cheap, BS is BS...
No record was claimed by the builder. Talk is cheap and BS is BS, you have proven that.

Have been with NAMBA and APBA for a long time, know what real speed look like
My condolences to both the NAMBA and APBA. Judging by your ability to provoke people in this thread into responses that require edits by the moderators, I believe you not only know what speed looks like, but know what is smells and tastes like too. Perhaps that video was not a fuzzy as you think it was....

Hum! did I open a can of worms here I didn't realize the "Airboat Fan club" had such a thin skin
Now about "Got RPM" comment, I guess its Ok as a measuring method for informal run but makes it not reliable as a mean setting records since who is to says the GPS reading was of the actual boat run and not spliced in after the fact! If you want those efforts to be taken seriously you should get a bit more formal.
The only thing you opened here that smelled of worms was your mouth. GPS is not reliable or accurate? I think that accuracy within .5mph is good enough for most of us. Someone better tell the government about this, else the next MOAB may fall into someones mouth full of worms. But do not take my comments too seriously since they are not formal.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:28 PM
ben_sprink

thats the fastest rc airboat iv ever seen. with or without the gps recording it looked fast as hell. i dont see the need for argument here. its a fast boat and a job well done by the builder.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:04 AM
norbique

I just want to say, that's the fastest airboat I've seen so far. And congratulations to the builder of the boat! Fantastic work.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:18 PM
MaximuM*AltitudE

Have been with NAMBA and APBA for a long time, know what real speed look like[sm=lol.gif]
Way to come in and thrash a thread, dick. That boat is fast, don't care who you are or what oldschool tethered BS you are smoking, this is pretty impressive. That's a fast airboat, maybe you're just jealous that all you have played with is cars and boats on strings? Get with the program, this is the new millenium where we have radio control speed, not some on the wire crap.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Got RPM

...That boat is fast, don't care who you are or what oldschool tethered BS you are smoking,...this is the new millenium where we have radio control speed, not some on the wire crap.
While the poster with the NAMBA and APBA experience did 'step on his manhood' in this thread - you are off-base too. Neither NAMBA nor APBA have anything to do with tether boats, they sanction only water-prop R/C models.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:00 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually, I don't think he is. It had been mentioned that tethered boats are much faster than a mid 70mph air boat and have exceeded 150mph. This has no relation to the topic of discussion. A thing on a string can not be compared to an RC model. We know a thing on a string has no chance of being a class in any current highly recognized organization

Ryan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.