RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/)
-   -   Traxxas Spartan (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/10235009-traxxas-spartan.html)

marktp 01-02-2011 05:13 PM

Traxxas Spartan

will post a better video soon.. batteries were too far in the back of the boat!

asupervee72 01-02-2011 05:58 PM

RE: Traxxas Spartan

damn that sucker was chine walking bad, hope you can get that sorted out. My reaction to this video is that catamarans are sweet

Stinger9d9 01-02-2011 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: asupervee72

damn that sucker was chine walking bad, hope you can get that sorted out. My reaction to this video is that catamarans are sweet
Yeah, it looked like it was going to barrel roll if you held it wide open for any longer. Maybe the batteries are too light or something. That thing looks dangerous...and not in a good way.

wilsta67 01-02-2011 07:59 PM

THIS ONE LOOKS LIKE IT HANDLES OK!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksEZeKanCug&NR=1[/youtube]

RGrew176 01-02-2011 10:41 PM

ORIGINAL: marktp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iLLNhNTYQ8

2 - 11.1v lipo batteries, brushless traxxas spartan

Not sure but from the way that boat was handling there may have been to much weight at the stern (rear). Moving the batteries forward might correct the wobble. Just and opinion. The TRAXXAS site says there is plenty of room to move the batteries forward and aft to get the best run angle.

srt10 01-02-2011 10:42 PM

ORIGINAL: wilsta67

the guy did a great job on the video, but I cannot figure out why only the short bursts of speed? [:-]

doby 01-03-2011 07:02 AM

65 MPH on GPS (title of the vid)

I think he needs to reset the GPS after the car ride to the pond.:eek:

budman10 01-03-2011 07:11 AM

Looks fast and turns good but it also looks like itel rollover it you keep it hamerd more then 5 sec bad chine walking ( how do you fix that ) i was thinking about geting one of these

srt10 01-03-2011 08:12 AM

ORIGINAL: doby

65 MPH on GPS (title of the vid)

I think he neess to reset the GPS after the car ride to the pond.:eek:
he changed the title since the first time it posted.... i think he ment 65kph ;)
lame [:-]

siberianhusky 01-03-2011 10:53 AM

If that was 3s I'd hate to see it on 6s! I've yet to see video of this boat that impresses me, slow out of the box on stock setups and then this one chine walking really badly on 3s. And it's made of plastic! Be interesting to see how it stands up to regular boat style usage. I've split the seam on a f/g hull hitting a turn marker before and I'd give the nod to fiberglass over plastic for strength!

Dirt_hawg 01-03-2011 11:08 AM

ORIGINAL: siberianhusky

If that was 3s I'd hate to see it on 6s! I've yet to see video of this boat that impresses me, slow out of the box on stock setups and then this one chine walking really badly on 3s. And it's made of plastic! Be interesting to see how it stands up to regular boat style usage. I've split the seam on a f/g hull hitting a turn marker before and I'd give the nod to fiberglass over plastic for strength!
The only thing I will say about traxxas is, there rc cars are very durable...I have a slash that I have literally tried to break out bashing and it has been a trooper..I have broke a few things on the slash but considering how hard I was bashing the plastics on the car are very flexible and to me improve durability..Plastics have come a long way the last 10 years...I guess well see how they hold up in the next couple o months...I still thinking about getting a spartan though..My LHS has a couple in stock.

srt10 01-03-2011 11:18 AM

That is on 6s...

wilsta67 01-03-2011 11:28 AM

i think your pespective on plastic is all wrong.
just for an example! they make car bumpers out of abs plastic because its tuff, durable, forgiving and cheap to replace. i think the boat will be ok the only thing im worried about is how thik and strong have they made the transome. have they made this so the rudder shears a pin incse it hits somthing below the surface or will it tear the whole rudder out of the transome.
some one that has this boat could you fill us in???

siberianhusky 01-03-2011 01:30 PM

You mean that stuff scattered all over the road in a 5mph fender bender! LOL I hope it's made out of something better than that flimsy junk! Time will tell but I think one good hit and the hull will be done for. I've seen a SV hit a stone wall, not full out or anything and all it did was put a little chip on the nose, if it was ABS I think the story would have had a much different ending. Now the guy always brings his boat in paralelle to the shore instead of straight in!
I really hope I'm wrong, boats like this are what bring people into the hobby, if they shell out hard earned money and the boat breaks apart they are probably lost to the hobby forever.
I'd try to find a Spartan hull to build if they were fiberglass, I think it's one of the nicest looking RTR boats to hit the market. If they can run stable on 6s and stay together through typical boat usage and abusage they have a real winner on their hands and have raised the stakes in the RTR game.
My P mono is a fiberglass hull over 20 years old that started out with a 3.5 inboard, then a K&B outboard and now a Leopard 4074 inboard again, I can only hope that the SPartan can stand over 20 years of racing and modding.
That hull has a patch in one side where it was t-boned, has had the deck hull seam split from nailing a turn marker, now it's stripped down for yet another paintjob and seasons running. I think it's an old Aeromarine hull but I can't even come close to remembering now.

wilsta67 01-03-2011 01:36 PM

traxxas have 2 other models the <span class="field-content"></span>Blast and the <span class="field-content"></span>Villain EX
what are they made out of and i wander how they have held up over the years?

wilsta67 01-03-2011 01:42 PM

You mean that stuff scattered all over the road in a 5mph fender bender! LOL I hope it's made out of something better than that flimsy junk! Time will tell but I think one good hit and the hull will be done for. I've seen a SV hit a stone wall, not full out or anything and all it did was put a little chip on the nose, if it was ABS I think the story would have had a much different ending. Now the guy always brings his boat in paralelle to the shore instead of straight in!
I really hope I'm wrong, boats like this are what bring people into the hobby, if they shell out hard earned money and the boat breaks apart they are probably lost to the hobby forever.
I'd try to find a Spartan hull to build if they were fiberglass, I think it's one of the nicest looking RTR boats to hit the market. If they can run stable on 6s and stay together through typical boat usage and abusage they have a real winner on their hands and have raised the stakes in the RTR game.
My P mono is a fiberglass hull over 20 years old that started out with a 3.5 inboard, then a K&amp;B outboard and now a Leopard 4074 inboard again, I can only hope that the SPartan can stand over 20 years of racing and modding.
That hull has a patch in one side where it was t-boned, has had the deck hull seam split from nailing a turn marker, now it's stripped down for yet another paintjob and seasons running. I think it's an old Aeromarine hull but I can't even come close to remembering now.
your cars over there must be made of differant stuff lol because the bumpers on the cars here normaly break the clips there held on with in a fender bender and stay in one peice.

srt10 01-03-2011 02:30 PM

traxxas have 2 other models the <span class=''field-content''></span>Blast and the <span class=''field-content''></span>Villain EX

those are 12 and 15mph boats that are brushed powered
big defference in how long things last at actual speed
[:-]

Stinger9d9 01-03-2011 05:59 PM

Well, if nothing else, this is an interesting boat to check in on.

That one with the camera was a nice video, but not particularly fast. Nowhere near the 50mph all the fanboys harp about. It was probably running on 14 nimh cells...again nice, but not fast.

The other one is so unstable it's scary. On that same water (particularly around a course), a bone stock UL-1 (running 4s) would beat it up and steal it's lunch money. The Miss Geico could probably the boat in that video a run for its money too.

Time will tell if the Spartan can be set up to be fast AND stable AND durable.

srt10 01-03-2011 07:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Stinger9d9

Well, if nothing else, this is an interesting boat to check in on.

That one with the camera was a nice video, but not particularly fast. Nowhere near the 50mph all the fanboys harp about. It was probably running on 14 nimh cells...again nice, but not fast.

The other one is so unstable it's scary. On that same water (particularly around a course), a bone stock UL-1 (running 4s) would beat it up and steal it's lunch money. The Miss Geico could probably the boat in that video a run for its money too.

Time will tell if the Spartan can be set up to be fast AND stable AND durable.
that's awesome! :D

NobodyFamous 01-04-2011 05:44 AM

traxxas have 2 other models the Blast and the Villain EX

They are cheap plastic, but they hold up great! Top out at about 12-15 MPH stock!!!
<br type="_moz" />

marktp 01-04-2011 06:50 AM

if you would all read the description in the video then you would not comment on how the boat is handling... jeeeeeeeessssssssss!!!!

srt10 01-04-2011 07:16 AM

lame thread!
video removed by OP![:-]
I think this is the guy who claims 20min runs on 4000mah packs at 50mph

marktp 01-04-2011 08:08 AM

this is probably the guy that has nothing good to say and should probably not post anything else

srt10 01-04-2011 08:55 AM

more videos like this would be great! ;)
but with longer runs

srt10 01-04-2011 09:02 AM

and not like this... [:-]