RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/)
-   -   Valvryn Proboat Horizon Not Working (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/11680794-valvryn-proboat-horizon-not-working.html)

Hydro Junkie 08-06-2020 01:02 AM

Trust me, there's a lot more to props than what I've told you. There's rake(the angle of the blade as compared to the hub and is totally different than pitch), there's cupping, several ways to cut a prop to make it work better on a specific boat and a few more that I'm not even sure what they're called. I only scratched the surface on the subject, Mark Sholund could probably write a book on the subject where I could only do a few paragraphs. That's also just the beginning of how much there is to the art of making a boat run and do so well. As far as thanking me, let's get the boat running first. I'd like to see a video of it running before we break out the ales, if you know what I mean. Same goes for a thank you gift, we can discuss that when the boat is running well enough to make you satisfied that it wasn't a waste of a lot of hard earned pence.
By the way, I haven't shown you what I play with yet. This is my fiberglass 1/8th scale 2000 Miss Elam Plus that I race with a local club. These things are not for the faint hearted. It's 109.2cm long,61cm wide, weighs 6.35Kg and will top out at around 100KPH with an 11cc .75Kw nitro motor under the cover
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/1...d0a973d93.webp
And a second, this one being built by my me from plywood, is 76cm long, 38cm wide and weighs in at 2.5Kg. Haven't put it to a real test yet as I'm still working on it, when I get the time
https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/att...4&d=1375582341

Does any of this shown below look familiar? The biggest difference is the collet is mounted on the output shaft of a Nova Rossi 3.5cc nitro-motor.
https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/att...6&d=1375587414

ross100 08-06-2020 03:55 AM

Yes I salute you!

Hey bud, your reply made me chuckle! Yep, totally agree with you, might take my atomic out on the local boat pond and it explodes 😎🙁😎🙁😎 Propellers, fascinating science and physics behind them. I will certainly read up on them further down the line, you have got me interested. Physics isnít my forte in science. Yes, some quality Scottish ales am sure await you my friend.

Wowsers! Love your boat, thatís seriously fast!! Yes I did recognise the bits and bobs after you taught me the names and locations. Must be incredibly satisfying for you to design and build your own machine, looks so streamlined and that motor is massive. Sent my email to the contact you gave me about the propeller and get my new lipo hopefully on sat. Will run and test the boat on the stand first as you advised. Warmest Regards, enjoy your day and talk soon.

Ross 👍🏻

Hydro Junkie 08-06-2020 04:24 AM

Um, just curious, which motor is massive, the 3.5cc you can see or the 11cc that you can't? There are classes of boats that run bigger, one of which I'm working on is a larger version of the second boat I posted pictures of. It's 130.3cm long, 59.5cm wide and powered by a 27cc petrol motor that requires aviation fuel just to get it to run. That last one actually scares me due to the size of it, that and the danger from the very large prop it will take to push it.
Time for bed, considering it's only 5:25 in the morning. Have a great day

ross100 08-06-2020 04:34 AM

Lol!

Lol! Yeah thought the first one had a big motor., maybe an optical illusion. Aviation fuel, you should be working for Nasa chief. Forgot you guys are about 7 to 8 hours behind us, is 1.30pm here just now. When I attach the the hexagonal first part of the collet back into the metal rod that conmes out of the motor, do I push the hexagonal part as far towards motor on the rod coming out that it will go? Warmest Regards and to you to my friend when your day starts.

Ross 👍🏻😎👍🏻

ross100 08-06-2020 04:45 AM

Another question please bud

The hexagonal bolt that holds the propeller on, when you say this bolt should be snug, should it be tightish against the propeller at the end? So that there is no space or movement of the propeller between that hexagonal bolt and the drive dog. Thanks a mill.

Ross

ross100 08-08-2020 02:22 AM

Back to the drawing board bud

So took the atomic SR85 down to the local boat pond today and still doing the same unfortunately. Turning circle seems pretty big, just put near side, starts to begin with, then just seems to take in some water, which donít know if the little volume is normal. Thatís with my new extreme pro 14.8V 5000mAh 80c lipo.

boats just seems to be cut off and refuses to move when on throttle chief, when being turned. Any ideas, maybe my celebrations were premature :( Hope that you are well.

ps boat seems to be leaning a lot but lipo is on one side

Hydro Junkie 08-08-2020 04:30 AM

There's a couple of things we can look at:
1) What is the speed controller rated at?
2) Is the prop hitting the rudder?
3) What were you using for a battery pack before?
Now, you said you were going to run it on the bench before you took it out to the pond. Did you do so and, if so, what did it do?
Just went and looked it up and the recommended battery is only a 25C. Something else I found is the ESC is rated at 60 amps. It's possible you're pulling too much power through the ESC and it's doing what we refer to as "thermalling" or shutting down due to too much heat.
Okay, let's try this:
Loosen the collet enough so the motor turns freely without spinning the prop, don't pull out the shaft. Now spin the shaft and see if there's any drag. It should turn easily so, if there's an amount of resistance, that's part of the problem.
If you don't feel any resistance, pull the shaft out just enough to clear the collet. Plug in a battery pack and turn on the motor, using the radio. Since there's no load on the motor it shouldn't get hot. If it does, within a few minutes, there's an issue with the motor. Check the speed controller as well, does it get hot? Unless the motor is pulling a lot of power, it should stay cool to warm, but not hot. I guess this is where we start troubleshooting.
As for the boat leaning to one side, is the low side where the battery is? If so, the battery pack is extremely heavy for that boat and could be part of the problem as well

ross100 08-08-2020 07:40 AM

Cheers bud

Cool, ok so thanks for the list and am working my way through the points and will answer your questions shortly bud 😎👍🏻

ross100 08-08-2020 08:29 AM

Whereís speed controller bud

Where the speed controller again bud on boat, the esc, is that the thing with the light?

ross100 08-08-2020 09:00 AM

Hey, not sure how to find what speed controller is rated at. No prop defo not hitting rudder. I was using two 2S battery packs before, 35c, 7.4V, 5000mAh before, but had the same issue as using this battery pack bud. Yes ran on bench like you said chief and rudder seemed to work fine left and right and so did throttle.

Just double checking my friend, was it the atomic SR85 green one you looked up. Motor didnít get hot when separated the collet from the axel rod coming out the motor, was that what I was supposed to do? Not sure what you meant about loosening the collet so that propeller doesnít turn to check resistance thing. Thanks for your help.

Ross🙁🙂

There's a couple of things we can look at:
1) What is the speed controller rated at?
2) Is the prop hitting the rudder?
3) What were you using for a battery pack before?
Now, you said you were going to run it on the bench before you took it out to the pond. Did you do so and, if so, what did it do?
Just went and looked it up and the recommended battery is only a 25C. Something else I found is the ESC is rated at 60 amps. It's possible you're pulling too much power through the ESC and it's doing what we refer to as "thermalling" or shutting down due to too much heat.
Okay, let's try this:
Loosen the collet enough so the motor turns freely without spinning the prop, don't pull out the shaft. Now spin the shaft and see if there's any drag. It should turn easily so, if there's an amount of resistance, that's part of the problem.
If you don't feel any resistance, pull the shaft out just enough to clear the collet. Plug in a battery pack and turn on the motor, using the radio. Since there's no load on the motor it shouldn't get hot. If it does, within a few minutes, there's an issue with the motor. Check the speed controller as well, does it get hot? Unless the motor is pulling a lot of power, it should stay cool to warm, but not hot. I guess this is where we start troubleshooting.
As for the boat leaning to one side, is the low side where the battery is? If so, the battery pack is extremely heavy for that boat and could be part of the problem as well
Quote Multi

ross100 08-08-2020 09:10 AM

Hey, check this!

No there seems to be resistance when Iíve loosened collet, press throttle, propellar should turn as expected. You said bud, it should turn freely, were you meaning when spin propeller and flex cable should move easily without resistance? Kindest Regards

Ross

Hydro Junkie 08-08-2020 09:24 AM

What I wanted you to do was to loosen the collet so you could pull the shaft out, but leave the shaft in the boat. Next turn the prop by hand and and see if there was any resistance to it being turned. If there isn't, the problem has to be either with the speed controller, which is the part connected to the motor by the three wires that come out of the opposite end of the motor from the drive shaft. According to what I saw in pictures online, it should be wrapped in a rubber sleeve to the motor's left inside the boat.

ross100 08-08-2020 09:25 AM

Pps observation

When throttle to max, propeller spins fast and when take finger off trigger, the rope lose judders up and down bit violentk at end. Is this relevant?

ross100 08-08-2020 10:05 AM

Ppps

Ppps soz, it couldnít just be the trim settings on the controller? Thanks and sorry so many questions

ross100 08-08-2020 02:37 PM

Chief, a thought?

Bud, whatís the purpose of that grub screw on drive dog as the drive dog canít be removed from the cable flex or is it a metal tube itís on. Am I right in thinking that the propeller should move a little at end between the drive dog and that hexagonal but at the very back? Cheers pal

ross100 08-08-2020 03:08 PM

Another random question

Mate, it talks about boat hull sitting too low in water and to angle the trim tabs at back of boat up. Where are these trim tabs located please? Over and out.

Hydro Junkie 08-08-2020 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by ross100 (Post 12623294)
When throttle to max, propeller spins fast and when take finger off trigger, the rope lose judders up and down bit violentk at end. Is this relevant?

Not really, What we were looking for is binding in the drive cable and issues with the motor and ESC. If you didn't feel any drag when you tried to turn the shaft, without the motor, that takes the shaft out of the equation

Hydro Junkie 08-08-2020 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by ross100 (Post 12623300)
Ppps soz, it couldnít just be the trim settings on the controller? Thanks and sorry so many questions

Not likely. The rudder trim controls fine adjustments on the rudder, left or right. It's there to help tune the boat to go straight with your hand off the steering wheel while the throttle trim does the same with the trigger response, nothing that would pretty much shut down the motor.

Hydro Junkie 08-08-2020 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by ross100 (Post 12623377)
Bud, whatís the purpose of that grub screw on drive dog as the drive dog canít be removed from the cable flex or is it a metal tube itís on. Am I right in thinking that the propeller should move a little at end between the drive dog and that hexagonal but at the very back? Cheers pal

The grub screw is there to keep the drive dog locked to the shaft. One thing that is possible is, if that is slipping, the prop would be slipping as well. One way to find out would be to pull the shaft part way out, loosen the grub screw and pull the drive dog away from the prop. If there's scrapes on the sides of the shaft, that would mean it's slipping, not a hard fix:
1) If there isn't a flat spot on the shaft, you would need to file one into the shaft so the grub screw has a flat surface to but up against
2) Slide the drive dog back down the shaft so it engages the slots in the prop hub
3) Apply thread lock to the threads of the grub screw
4) While holding the drive dog tight against the prop, tighten the grub screw down, making sure it lands on the flat area filed into the shaft
After you're done with that, time for another test run

Hydro Junkie 08-08-2020 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by ross100 (Post 12623380)
Mate, it talks about boat hull sitting too low in water and to angle the trim tabs at back of boat up. Where are these trim tabs located please? Over and out.

They would be at the back of the boat, even with the bottom of the sponsons, the parts of the hull that extend down lower than the center. if your boat matches the picture I found on line, it doesn't have them

Hydro Junkie 08-08-2020 05:51 PM

If it's not the drive dog or too large of battery, either you have a motor or ESC issue. Those I won't be able to help you with, it would take a call to the manufacturer's customer service department

ross100 08-08-2020 09:58 PM

Thanks chief

Cheers pal, will look into all these, youíre a star!

ross100 08-08-2020 09:59 PM

Cool!

Thanks chief will look into all these 👍🏻

ross100 08-08-2020 10:03 PM

Thought

When the propellar goes into the notches of the drive dog, should it move a little on these notches? Warmest Regards.

Ross

ross100 08-08-2020 10:08 PM

Pps

Pps I wasnít able to move the drive dog when I took its grub screw out, could move the drive dog up and down the shaft. Thereís a wee round metal circular bit where the shaft or flex cable is it goes onto the back of the boat. When I press throttle, this comes out and spins and lyes against the back of the Drive dog. Is that normal please?