RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/)
-   -   What rtr? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/5390665-what-rtr.html)

jelly bean 02-08-2007 07:01 PM

What rtr?

hello, i was wondering what rtr i should get? i only have about $220.00 to spend. i will be running in about 0-5 inch chop.

Thanks for any help

saleens7 02-08-2007 07:24 PM

RE: What rtr?

hmm thats going to be a tough one....you might want to consider saving up some more cash, a lot of the RTR electrics arent that big enough to handle that big of chop, and the ones that can, usually cost a LOT of money....

although, you could buy a couple of reef racers, they can take chop, the self right so no worrys about flippin.....and are cheap....reel cheap

besides that, you might want to look into buying a used boat or building one that fits your needs..

jelly bean 02-08-2007 07:43 PM

alright, how much would it cost to build a boat that will fit my needs for the cheapest posible?

Thanks

Wheelnut 02-08-2007 08:17 PM

Its going to cost you more to build one than it would to just buy one like the Aquacraft Super Vee 27. Its a brushless set up in a fiberglass vee hull mono for about $279.00 RTR. You can't beat that.

saleens7 02-08-2007 08:23 PM

well....

i cant really say that...i dont have enogh info....what hull type, what motor...etc....im shure someone else could give you more info on that....

but for the CHEAPEST POSSIBLE

i would try and find a SW36 hull only (used or new, new can be bough at horizon hobby) and use a large brushed motor (maybe the 820bb at offshore running on a good amount of cells....i dont know how many cells to use becuase i dont know the KV of the motor...maybe someone else could help me out here...

saleens7 02-08-2007 08:31 PM

i really think you should invest in a nitro or gasser for this application...electrics that size will cost way more that your cash limit even if you use cheap stuff....nitros and gassers that size will probably go over that limit, but be closer to it than electric

jelly bean 02-09-2007 06:38 AM

alright thanks, i like gassers but to build one its like 500 for the cheapest stuff... and i dont like all the tuning and stuff with nitro plus i already have a nitro. is there any other electric's i could use for the water conditions i will be running in?

Thanks

Woodmandan2 02-09-2007 06:46 AM

I think a supervee 27 should handle that chop fine, as long as you dont go full throttle into turns with the wheel cranked all the way over, although thats a pretty nice boat, its radio is soposed to be crap.

Dan

jelly bean 02-09-2007 06:49 AM

alright thanks, if i got the supervee 27 for $275.00 i would have to buy battery's for it too right? and that would be another $50.00 too?

Woodmandan2 02-09-2007 06:57 AM

another 50 dollars for what packs? you would also need to get a charger, an extra prop, and deans connectors for em all. if you dont wanna put deans connectors on the batteries there are duratrax deans 4200's on tower
Dan

Wheelnut 02-09-2007 09:12 AM

Sorry to be the baloon poper but you will also need to replace the stock radio because so many people have had trouble with it, it is not worth the risk.

SV27dayton 02-09-2007 09:40 AM

My radio works fine, but I still have to pop that ballon. I've been in this hobby for 2.5 months now. You sould concerned about money. If that's true, don't get one. You need batteries, and a charger, and another set of batteries, and a differnt prop (you don't need it but youwill want it) Then you'll find out how must faster you can go on better (expensive packs) and you'll flip the boat and hurt it or want adjustable tabs. IT'S A SICKNESS! RUN! RUN AWAY WHILE YOU STILL CAN! IT'S TOO LATE FOR US, but you still have a chance.

(Sorry about that) If you look at the price on the box, then double that. You'll be ready to have some fun.

jelly bean 02-09-2007 04:58 PM

oh... ok, if i were to do a custom built boat how much would it be if i took out the radio and receiver cost because i could take that out of my nitro hammer... dont really like nitro because i cant just set it in the water from the side of our big boat and run...

Thanks for the help

saleens7 02-09-2007 05:10 PM

well....if you can find a traxxxas villain, they are OK on wake....might need to do a little modding though....

jelly bean 02-09-2007 05:25 PM

alright thanks

Blackjack52 02-09-2007 05:25 PM

Jelly Bean,
You're going to be busy in a few months with Easter. Do you have time to do a build? :)

I know this is a bit over what you want to spend, but it's worth a look. Maybe a self-righting hull. $230......just need to add electronics.
The Flash Thick is the self-righter sister to the Flash.
http://206.206.85.209/xtdoc/catalogu...M&store=mhzusa

jelly bean 02-09-2007 05:49 PM

alright thanks Blackjack52, i dont have to worry about easter that much cus all i have to do is sleep! im only 13 and we dont do much on easter

saleens7 02-09-2007 05:50 PM

oh yeah, forgot about xtremedoc....yeah, self righting hulls are great, forget the villain, get that...

edit: actually, check out

http://206.206.85.209/xtdoc/default.aspx?store=xtdoc

they have some boats that are rtr less assembly and readio gear..

jelly bean 02-09-2007 05:57 PM

so then i would need to buy a motor and esc if i got that? and i would need battery's?

Thanks and what else would i need besides a radio and receiver?

Blackjack52 02-09-2007 06:09 PM

Yeah, with the Flash you would need motor/esc combo, radio, and batts. Give them a call to get a better price.

If money is an issue, maybe shoot for an RTR like the SV27. Or try Hobbytron for some boats also.

jelly bean 02-09-2007 06:12 PM

alright ive got a radio so ide need batts and motor/esc combo? aprox how much would that run me? so i can start savin $$ and maybe do extra things to get that. a link to good batts for a cheap price and a motor/esc would be nice if its possible too.

Thanks

saleens7 02-09-2007 06:15 PM

http://206.206.85.209/xtdoc/Details....S1&store=xtdoc

this is selfrighting, and has all the stuff you need, less radio system and batts....it needs to be assembled, but so does the flash and this one already has the motor...now you just need the esc....it will be less, but it will be smaller too...

jelly bean 02-09-2007 06:22 PM

i like the looks of that one, about how much will it be for the esc and battery's? and could i get em both from the same place to save some money on shipping too?

Thanks

saleens7 02-09-2007 06:45 PM

you can get the NAVY 600 from offshore and you can run it on 6-12 cells...

the 600 navy is 74$ at offshore

the batts...depend on whick ones you pic...

all in all, that boat may not take waves as well as the flash, but it will be less in the longrun and it self rights, just like the flash...

saleens7 02-09-2007 06:49 PM

if you could get the sigma without the 700 motor, offshore has a deal where you can get a 700SC for only 35$ if you buy it with the navy 600....that is way less money than the 700 from xtremedoc (they tend to have prices more than they need to be) and the SC (i think) has more power.