RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/)
-   -   building my first boat, need guidance (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/6002757-building-my-first-boat-need-guidance.html)

Big Buffalo 06-18-2007 01:58 PM

building my first boat, need guidance

hello, im thinking about building my first RC electric boat.. this boat would be used for fishing (yes fishing...) it would take bait out (up to maybe 300 yards) and drop it along with my line/hook... so it gives that area a bunch of free bait (probably like 2kg to 6kg) to attract the fish, etc... i already have a hull im getting from England, so no worries there. All i need help with is the guts of the boat and basically putting it together... like the motors, batteries, props, radio system, etc. I don’t know where would be the best place to buy this stuff from? ive been having a hard time finding the proper parts online. i would like to try and not spend more then $200 on the parts (if possible), etc. because the hull alone is quite expensive.

here are the properties id like for it to have...

1. be very reliable
2. range of 400 yards would be nice (i would probably only use it to maybe 300 yards, but wouldn't want to max it out)
3. battery life of at least 2 hours (more the better)
5. 4kg bait capacity (2kg minimum)
6. props/pells on each side (see hull photos)
7. speed of 5 to 10 mph max (it doesn’t really need to be fast, but it would be nice to have the speed to get out of dangers way, like if a big speed boat is coming or something)
7. solar panel charging would be nice (when on the bank fishing i need a way to charge)

this is what what i have in mind so far or what ive been suggested already,

2x brushed 500/600 motors
2x MTroniks Viper Marine 25 speed controllers
2x 6" Props
2x 45mm/50mm brass 4-blade Propellers
2x 6v 7amp SLA rechargable batteries (and solar panel charger) im not sure how much run time im expecting to get w/ these..
75 MHz 4 channel FM radio

and I would guess that I need 2 servos, but im not sure on that... the hoppers (which holds the bait) would be released by the servos, and it would be nice if I could release the hoppers each, not together. also, as you can see in the photos, there are no rudders... so im expected to use ESC's to be able to steer with the motors, etc.

here is what the hull looks like (this one is actually complete)
[link=http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/692/hullgu4.jpg]PIC1[/link]
[link=http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/5798/hull1wq3.jpg]PIC2[/link]
the size of this hull is approx. L = 27" W = 17" H = 4"

Any suggestions, opinions are welcomed.

superveekiller7 06-18-2007 05:02 PM

RE: building my first boat, need guidance

BUddy if you want 400 yard range the radio has to be good that would have to be atleast a 2.4 ghz i duno if it would even go that far stil and they cost over 250 cheap to 400 so you better lower those standards like most new people they think they can build the est boat for 150 bucks lmao

Confusedude 06-18-2007 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: superveekiller7

BUddy if you want 400 yard range the radio has to be good that would have to be atleast a 2.4 ghz i duno if it would even go that far stil and they cost over 250 cheap to 400 so you better lower those standards like most new people they think they can build the est boat for 150 bucks lmao
Yea i was thinking the same thing here is a 2.4 GHZ radio ( http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../futk2020.html )

Big Buffalo 06-18-2007 05:19 PM

i was thinking about getting the futaba skysport 4 75 Mhz ... what kind of range you think i should get out of that particular tx?

Big Buffalo 06-18-2007 06:12 PM

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEFJ475&P=1]this one[/link]

Confusedude 06-18-2007 08:34 PM

why 4 channels?

Big Buffalo 06-18-2007 09:16 PM

2 motors (2 channels), 2 bait hoppers (to release separately)... I guess, I mean... I don't really need for the hoppers to release separately but it would be nice.

Confusedude 06-18-2007 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Big Buffalo

2 motors (2 channels), 2 bait hoppers (to release separately)... I guess, I mean... I don't really need for the hoppers to release separately but it would be nice.
oh thats fancy

Big Buffalo 06-18-2007 10:04 PM

do ya think this would work... instead of having 2 ESC's for each motor, what about using a dual channel motor controller, like this [link=http://www.gimsonrobotics.com/shop_rc-speed-controllers-sabertooth.html]one[/link] ...to steer with the 2 motors, so no rudders needed.

Big Buffalo 06-18-2007 10:16 PM

wait nevermind, that one is overseas, here this [link=http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.aspx?productID=563&CategoryID=10]one[/link] is in the US

superveekiller7 06-19-2007 08:59 AM

Uhhh well you wont get 400 yards thats for sure lol Dude this one will get you much closer
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPZT8&P=ML
thats a muchhhhh better radio

Confusedude 06-19-2007 09:53 AM

dude 400 yards is like 4 football fields you cant even see a boat that far out unless its like glass and perfectly clear and even then you cant tell which way it heading

ryan_t888 06-19-2007 11:19 AM

i was thinking about getting the futaba skysport 4 75 Mhz ... what kind of range you think i should get out of that particular tx?
Interesting project. These pop up every once in a while but I've yet seen someone who has actualy finished what they have planned and posted it.

I know FM air radio's get between a quarter and half a mile range. I've had my CUB out about 1000+feet way from me using the SKYSPORT on 72Mhz and there were no signs of a weak signal. BUT this is in the air not on water!

I own both an air SKYSPORT on 72Mhz and a surface SKYSPORT on 75Mhz. They're excellent basic 4 ch radio's!

My concern is you will barely even see a 27" boat at 400 yards away. I have a hard enough time seeing a plane with an 80" wingspan at 1000 feet.

If this was my project I would set it up so that throttle is on the standard throttle stick. Steering would be on the aileron stick(Right stick, horizontal axis) and bait release would be on the rudder stick, (left stick horizontal axis) set up in such a way where pushing to the left releases the left reservoir and pushing to the right releases the right reservoir. This could be done more easily with 2 separate servos but may be possible with one servo depending on amount of torque needed and placement of linkages.

How exactly are the bait trap doors opened to release the bait? Also does the bait reservoir open up the whole bottom to release the bait or is it just a small section? This will help determine the amount of torque needed if the bait is applying a pressure to a given area and placement of linkages.

As far as motor system goes, I would get two high torque low current 550's or 600 and run them off of 12v. For batteries you can use dual 6v Pb's and wire them in series, or go with a single 12v Pb. The disadvantage of using lead acid batteries is size and weight.

The ESC (or radio) must be capable of mixing in order to use the aileron stick as a rudder. If not, you may be able to get rid of the spring in the right stick and install the ratchet lever. The SKYSPORT I have sitting here has the right stick set up for ratchet, the only thing needed to get it to work is to cut a piece of sheet metal with a v groove to create the ratchet action against the wheel inside the transmitter.

A solar panel can be used to slowly trickle charge the battery. The limit is the size of your boat as it takes a lot of area to create a high enough current for a decent charge. I don’t know exactly where you would find them but here in Canada, Canadian tire sells a large range of 12v solar panels made by Eliminator used to charge small lead acid type batteries or larger deep cycle batteries. It appears most of the smaller panels charge at rates between 100-500mA.

Good Luck
Ryan

Big Buffalo 06-19-2007 01:11 PM

i really can't spend that much on a transmitter... guess i won't be getting the distance i would like, if i could get 200 yards id be happy.

when you get TX, or in this case the futaba skyport, do you have to get them in a specifc band... or are they universal to use on whatever band you put them on... im a bit confused about that. Like, i would need 75 MHz... do I have to get that particular band of transmitter?

LtDoc 06-19-2007 01:48 PM

Big Buffalo,
There are two general classifications for R/C radio systems, 'air' and 'surface'. It's not a very good idea to 'mix' the two, the flying thingys tend to have bad tendencies to destroy themselves when they aren't told what to do (when someone interferes). So, if it rolls, crawls, floats or dives, get a surface type radio, not an 'air' radio.
There are several models that cn be switched from 'air' to 'surface' stuff but the only 'problem' with those is that they are not cheap at all. The 27 Mhz and 2.4 Ghz radio systems can be used on both 'air' and 'surface'. The 2.4 Ghz radios also fall in that "ain't cheap" category. The 27 Mhz radios are usually 'cheaper', but since they are more common, they can also have problems with interference from other R/C radios or elsewhere.
So the quick-n-dirty answer to that question is, Yes, the multi-band radios are available.
- 'Doc

PS - If you happen to run across two of them, really really cheap, get both and I'll take the other one!

Big Buffalo 06-19-2007 02:17 PM

thanks for explaining that Doc... so basically I have to get the TX on the right channel (75 MHz).

Ryan, to answer your question about the hoppers... I really don't know for sure as I don't have the hull yet... but im guessing the hoppers work like a trap door... they have something that holds the doors up and when you release them (servos) they remove the pin, or whatever... and the doors will drop... letting the bait drop into the water.

here is another photo, this might explain it better.
[link=http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2716/hull2sl8.jpg]PIC3[/link]

ryan_t888 06-19-2007 03:56 PM

when you get TX, or in this case the futaba skyport, do you have to get them in a specifc band... or are they universal to use on whatever band you put them on... im a bit confused about that. Like, i would need 75 MHz... do I have to get that particular band of transmitter?
I use to like stick radio's for surface, and still do, that's why I ended up getting the 4 channel air radio on 75Mhz. I could swap my 72Mhz crystal and 75Mhz crystal in the SKYSPORT TX without any issue. I'm not too sure if it works for the receivers as I just leave the receiver on the appropriate frequency in the vehicle. This way I could fly my plane and drive my car/boat with the same TX.

I would recommend buying the SKYSPORT on the band you intend to run on, in this case 75MHz.

Let me know how it works when you get it.

Ryan

Big Buffalo 06-19-2007 11:47 PM

i don't have to get the SKYSPORT, i just need a reliable 4 channel FM 75 MHz TX, receiver, and 2 servos... but ive heard good things about the SKYSPORT so that's why i was looking at that one. i need to figure where i can get 2x litespeed 600 motors, 3/4 blade brass propellers, etc, etc.. i still don't know how im going to setup the battery... not sure if the 6volt 12amp SLA rechargeable batteries would fit... and if they do fit... how am i going to charge them from inside the boat, need some kind of plug, etc... i want to get those toggle switches for turning on the motors, and LED lights for night time, etc... i just don't know how i would wire all that together... also a low battery warning light on the boat would be nice... so i know when to recharge it, etc... so many things im not sure about yet.

Big Buffalo 06-22-2007 06:23 PM

alright so far ive got... or plan on getting...

Futaba SKYSPORT 4CH FM RADIO SYS 75MHz (+RECEIVER & 4x S3004 SERVOS)
2x GRAUPNER SPEED 600 ECO 7.2v MOTORS
2x Mtroniks Viper Marine15 ESC
2x 4-6" x 4mm METAL PROPSHAFTS (direct drive)
2x 40mm BRASS 3-BLADE PROPELLERS (not sure if 40mm is too big yet or not)
2x 6v 4.5Ah SLA rechargeable batteries (w/ solar panel charger, main charger & car charger)

I was thinking about getting 6v 7Ah SLA batteries at first, but they might be too heavy/big... so thot maybe 4.5Ah would fit better, but not sure what kind of run time im expecting with these. i want to connect them together... to form 6v 9Ah if possible... and have a phono socket/plug on boat to charge both together, etc.

also im going to need to figure out how to wire the LEDs... one toggle switch for the two motors, and then another switch for the LEDs... and a low voltage/battery LED would be nice but not sure how i would wire that up either. i'll like to power the LEDs by the SLA batteries... don't want to have to add anymore batteries.

Big Buffalo 06-25-2007 12:33 PM

anybody know where can i find 6" x 4mm propshafts online?

ryan_t888 06-25-2007 01:12 PM

Try here

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=70

Buy large and then cut to the length needed.

Ryan

Big Buffalo 06-25-2007 03:00 PM

oh you can cut them and they will still work? Do they not make 6" shafts?

ryan_t888 06-25-2007 03:09 PM

I've never looked for a specific size before. I always buy large and cut to size. You can also do this with a flex cable.

After the shaft is cut (non threaded side;)), buff out any rough spots and it will work just great.

Ryan

Big Buffalo 06-27-2007 03:27 PM

bad news, won't be using that hull that i had in mind... it's too expensive and rude seller. i need to find somebody who knows how to build hulls and would build one for me to my idea... anyone know? i was told the best wood to use is marine plywood 6mm... if that's the route I have to take.

ryan_t888 06-27-2007 03:44 PM

6mm is nearly 1/4" That would be one heavy hull if you were to build from that material.

Ryan