RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/)
-   -   Custom electric boat builders (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/9844830-custom-electric-boat-builders.html)

PEERPSI 07-04-2010 07:41 PM

Custom electric boat builders

Can anyone recommend custom electric boat builders?

eboat 07-04-2010 09:13 PM

RE: Custom electric boat builders

What are you looking for ??

BACKEMF 07-04-2010 09:16 PM

We'll help you :D

Enidz 07-04-2010 09:40 PM

"electric boat builders"? Do you mean the factory or the electric boat designers?

PEERPSI 07-04-2010 09:45 PM

I'm looking for a scale Catamaran or Deep Vee. Too much going on at home to have time to build, just want something to play with. I have a gas boat now but I find it difficult to find a good time to use it at the local lake because of the noise. It would be much easier to get away with a quieter electric.

I really like the HPR hulls and a fair number of the MHZ hulls strike my fancy.

There seems to be a number of companies where you can get a custom gas hull built but I've yet to come across a builder of electric boats.

eboat 07-04-2010 10:59 PM

I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend on boat and lipos and chargers

JawzSS 07-04-2010 11:12 PM

so it sounds like you are looking for an RTR... Proboat makes some good ones, check em' out: www.proboatmodels.com

srt10 07-05-2010 01:32 AM

ORIGINAL: PEERPSI

Can anyone recommend custom electric boat builders?
There are a few I know..
what are you looking for and what is your budget?

PEERPSI 07-05-2010 07:28 AM

$2K should be enough for a decent toy I would think. I have a Proboat now and the experiecne has taught me that I would probably not get another one. Good starter boat for some but not what I'm after.

eboat 07-05-2010 11:25 AM

You know with spending that kind of money on one boat you will still only end up with not much more than 5 minutes of run time
You could get 3 nice smaller (36" size range) cat, mono and hydro and have more play time on the water

srt10 07-05-2010 11:52 AM

and having one sweet killer boat is much more fun than 3 smaller play boats :D

PEERPSI 07-05-2010 12:20 PM

5 minutes would certainly not be what I'm looking for. The smaller ones just don't appeal to me, too small. Plus I'm on Georgian bay so I'd like something that doesn't require glass smooth water.

srt10 07-05-2010 12:44 PM

All you need to do is run 2p
Most have know idea just how much runtime you could have with bigger setup
But electrics do love the Amps!

PEERPSI 07-05-2010 01:09 PM

It would seem the abbreviations used by those in this hobby are specific to the hobby. I'm assuming 6S means 6 batteries in series and 2P means to packs in parallel?

No replies on builders of custom electric boats so I guess my answer is no?

JawzSS 07-05-2010 01:17 PM

here ya go.. if you want one big ass killer boat.. http://www.bonzisports.com/classic_info.html

PEERPSI 07-05-2010 01:43 PM

Not looking for an electric powered canoe. That would be a bit too big. I'm thinking more in the range of 40-50 inches.

srt10 07-05-2010 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: PEERPSI

It would seem the abbreviations used by those in this hobby are specific to the hobby. I'm assuming 6S means 6 batteries in series and 2P means to packs in parallel?

No replies on builders of custom electric boats so I guess my answer is no?
they are private buiders who have emails..
not really a website or anyone company but this guy (Randy) does some cool custom stuff
http://www.bbyracing.com/

BACKEMF 07-05-2010 03:02 PM

Randy is Great and maybe he could get a hull you like and build it up.

I could do it but, it would be my first really big boat over 40"

I'm thinking a DeltaForce 45" Sniper hull would be nice, not sure how scale it is...

I assume sport scale, kinda like a Scarab but in 40-50" range right?

Not too easy but, a Schulze 40-160, $600, a New 2215 $400, hull Sniper 45" $350, Speedmaster hardware $200, thats $1550 already, batteries, hobby city 10S2P worth, maybe another $400, not much left for me or chargers[X(]

BACKEMF 07-05-2010 03:07 PM

You can see my signature right?

I am about to build a Carbon Fiber 40" DF copy hull $285, with a 880Kv $35 HobbyCity Outrunner(Scorpion Knockoff), Monster 2000 HVesc $$200, 8S1P cells from Hobby city $150, Chinese hardware, $150.

Allot cheaper and hopefully almost or as much fun.

The Neu setup will do about 70mph without asweat, mine, dunno yet????

eboat 07-05-2010 05:26 PM

BACKEMF could build you a boat
I have seen his stuff and it works good
If you have never had an electric your run times are going to be way shorter than your gas stuff
Gas you run till you get board
Electric you run watching the clock
Does not take much to loose track of time and make one pass too many and things get too hot and you will find yourself ordering new parts

Might be better in the long run to spend $500 on a smaller boat to get the hang of electric then to burn up a $500 part first time out

srt10 07-06-2010 12:04 AM

Stay with what you are looking for a go big!
electric is fun and bigger the better!
who want's a smaller boat when they are asking for a bigger boat?
better to go with what you want to first time out

eboat 07-06-2010 08:00 AM

Most electric virgins usually end up with smoke sooner than later
Not my money
Just trying to help

srt10 07-06-2010 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: eboat

Not my money
Just trying to help
When a boat is setup by a pro, these issues really won't happen

PEERPSI 07-06-2010 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: eboat

Not my money
Just trying to help
30 years working in the electrical/electronics field. All day everyday. Everything from toasters to missle guidance systems. Not sure I'd call myself a virgin. Actually I have two children so that answers that question.

If you're getting smoke you've taking shortcuts. I see it all the time. All machines are built with a budget in mind, in fact it's usually the driving force behind building it or not. Engineers will do the calculations and specify the appropriate devices to be sure adequate protection is in place in accordance with local regulations. The protection will often meet the regulatory bodies requirements but often it will not be the best protection that could be had. After the equipment is installed and commisioned along comes a technician that feels he knows better then the regulatory agencies and engineers and starts bypassing things. Over the years I've replaced countless electric motors because of overload settings cranked up and fuses too large for the motor.

Where am I going with this? Simple you could build a model boat that would current limit to protect the drive, have overload devices to protect the motor and thermal sensors to protect the batteries. You could not have that boat for less then $500 dollars.

When money is on the line, especially disposable income people are willing to take chances, and manufacturers are always looking for cost saving measures to be more competitive.

If I spend upwards of $2K on a model boat you can rest assured it will be adequately protected.

BACKEMF 07-06-2010 01:28 PM

I am not a pro so I would bow out. Paul Pachmeyer is a pro and has done these but, i don;t know if he still would. Like I said before, the parts alone come in at approx. $2000 .

What speeds were you looking for and what style hull, you did say scale right? If you are looking for scale and don't need 60-70mph the cost drops allot.

For non-racing sport runing it is less expensive and less worry specially @ 50mph and less. The problem is always a reliable speed control that isn't the price of a ounce of gold.