RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/)
-   -   HobbyKing Tunnel Hull (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/9988638-hobbyking-tunnel-hull.html)

lapistola28 09-08-2010 01:37 PM

HobbyKing Tunnel Hull

What happened to the discussion that was on here about the new Electric Tunnel hull ? I ordered one last night ......... I commented on the postings last night ........ checked my emails this morning and saw a bunch of updates , but when i went to visit these posts i found them to be gone and replaced by a notice saying i wasn't logged in with the correct criteria to see them ? *** is that all about ?

NobodyFamous 09-08-2010 02:06 PM

RE: HobbyKing Tunnel Hull

most likely removed due to abuse of the "swarm sale"  Still a great looking hull though, wish I could afford one.

dmoesch 09-08-2010 02:59 PM

Yes, it was removed....someone thought it was a "pyramid scheme".....LOL too funny.   That person clearly doesn't understand what a pyramid scheme is.
It was removed for good reason though since there are "paid for" banner ads on the site.

Nice looking boat.  If they still have it in a few months and it gets decent reviews I will buy one.

rumdoggie 09-08-2010 05:54 PM

Why would you even want that junk tub toy. Spend your hard earned cash on a real rtr FE tunnel.

lapistola28 09-08-2010 06:29 PM

A "real" RTR FE Tunnel ? Do tell ............ Pro Boat ?...........

dmoesch 09-08-2010 06:53 PM

Junk tub toy?  Lol.....funny......fiberglass hull isn't a tub toy.
For that price its good value.

mickieb49 09-09-2010 07:12 AM

Had one, for a TOY they are ok, as soon as you start trying to put more power behind them , they can't handle the speed. The way i figure it , if you want to get something sort of cheap for your kids then it is great, if you want something that you can add to then put your hard earned moned into a hull that can handle it all.
Just my 2 cents.....

NobodyFamous 09-09-2010 07:26 AM

ORIGINAL: rumdoggie

Why would you even want that junk tub toy. Spend your hard earned cash on a real rtr FE tunnel.
To use in my "junk tub" of course! hahaha too funny. There always has to be a hater.
<br type="_moz" />

lapistola28 09-09-2010 07:38 AM

How is it that you've had one already ? And maybe it's your setup .......... or lack there of that causes it to not handle ! Surely at the end of the day it will be fun !

dmoesch 09-09-2010 08:01 AM

Want to get something for your  kids?  Not sure a kid can handle brushless....
Some of the reactions here are priceless.....its just people that are upset they spent 400 on a pro boat when they could have had a similar boat for $150-$200. 
The reactions to HK are comical.  I just bought the EVO from HK, it runs about 40mph and has a nice fiberglass hull that is very duable and handles very well.  Far from "junk tub toy" material.  Could it use a better esc?  Sure it could....but I am still running my stock one until it burns out (which has made it about 10 runs so far).
<span class="info"></span>If this tunnel hull is similar in quality to the EVO, then its certainly not junk tub toy.

siberianhusky 09-09-2010 12:06 PM

Today on another forum all the guys that tried that "swarm sale" last night are wondering if they bought anything! HK doesn't seem to be confirming the orders for the 98$ or what ever. I couldn't even see the boat not a V.I.P in HK's eyes! Just a lowly standard member! Just crushed I didn't get a chance to send HK more of my money LOL boat is probably as high quality as the 3s lipo they were kind enough to offer to let me return on my own dime and wait however long for a replacement! It was DOA on arrival.
Fool me once with the cheap prices shame on you! Fool me twice shame on me! Just glad I didn't order half a dozen batteries from them!

lapistola28 09-09-2010 12:24 PM

I swear ...... I have never had an issue with HK  ! I have ordered at least 30 batteries from them and as many brushless motors . All seem to have worked properly . This will be my 3rd boat from them and if it's anything like the first 2 it will be great fun ! I say this all whilst knocking on wood ! ;)

dmoesch 09-09-2010 12:26 PM

Don't know anything about that swarm sale?That sounds strange.
If you just go to the HK site, login with your account, you can see the boat etc....
Nothing but good feedback from customer service on my orders with them. I have changed a few orders AFTER placing them and it always worked out well for me.

Anyways, the whole purpose of this forum/thread is to talk about the boat, not bash a legitimate company that some people are after for some reason.......very strange some people's agendas.

siberianhusky 09-09-2010 01:14 PM

My experience was I got junk and a bulls**T return policy that made it not worth wile to return a defective product, That was my experience with them. Compared to my shopping experiences with zippkits and offshore electrics and Hobbyhobby, I think HK sucks! These forums are here to share all experiences good and bad, I'm not going to tell people the company is great when in my opinion it's horrible. I've read about and experienced my own horror stories about trying to deal with returns, I'm glad you have good luck with them, you are just as free to tell people your happy stories about them as I am my sad ones. A company that provides good customer service will get great reviews and promotions from me one that doesn't won't. Simple as that, if their customer policy costs them a customer and that person tells someone and so on that company either has to change their policy of go under! It's not up to me to lie about that company to keep it in business.
I live in a fairly small city, word of mouth travels fast, as a contractor if I start jerking customers around pretty soon I'll have no work and nobody to blame but myself. Why should it be any different for some other business?
I also try to buy as much locally as possible and only order stuff if my LHS can't supply it, I want him to stick around, I really don't want to have to order 2 ball links from china and wait for delivery! I might pay a bit more but that money at least stays in the community, He also shops in local stores and hires local guys to do work on his house etc.
LOL anybody remember the good old days when everybody had jobs? When there was a true middle class? When your T.V, washing machine, toaster, car etc was manufactured in North America?
Maybe I'm too much of a relic, actually expecting customer service and a company to stand behind what it makes or sells in todays market, where all people want is cheap instant satisfaction for 5 minutes and when it breaks I'll just throw it out and buy a new one.

dmoesch 09-09-2010 01:33 PM

You make valid points, but you do realize most of the parts for these boats are made ALL over the world?
I do prefer to buy local, to keep that guy in business.  Unfortunately the globalization of the world, and ecommerce has allowed us to buy DIRECT.  Also, if the postage is more then the product, well, its easier to just toss it out. 
I guess its all about what you want.....its your $$$.....do what you choose with it.</p>

NobodyFamous 09-09-2010 02:16 PM

for me, it's great. I have no LHS at all. I do have to agree with you about chucking stuff out though. I'd rather pay more for something that will work. Unfortunately with electronics these day, most all of it from cheap Chinese ESC to "cheap chinese made" apple lap tops, it's all crap. So unless I know for sure the more expensive item IS going to last, I save my money.<div></div><div>My dad also taught me well, "never throw anything away without at least taking something off it"</div><div></div><div>Right now I have 3 printers ranging from $100.00 to $500.00, they all lasted less then 1 year and are now broken or need new parts, parts that cost as much as a new one (that comes with full ink tanks) So they are waiting to be stripped of motors, glass and lights. . . and I get a new one, again for $150.00. Now if I could fine one that would last for 10 years, even if it was $1000.00 I'd buy it.</div>

JCAustralia 09-09-2010 07:18 PM

The tunnel are made by Beili:

http://www.beilimodel.cn/

I had one of their sailboat and its was ok for the price. Had to do a fair bit of mods but the glass work of the hull was good.

The outboard leg looks like the old outboard that Kyosho used to make. I think its called the "Dolphin"

I am debating whether to get the hull or not...... Its probably not in the same league as the Stiletto but its a good deal for the price. Love the outboard scale look.....

About the Swarm sale it looks more like some cunning marketing trick than a scam.......

Lapistola or any owner

Can you please let us know your opinion of the boat when you receive them?

Thanks

JC

keithbradley 09-09-2010 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: NobodyFamous

for me, it's great. I have no LHS at all. I do have to agree with you about chucking stuff out though. I'd rather pay more for something that will work. Unfortunately with electronics these day, most all of it from cheap Chinese ESC to "cheap chinese made" apple lap tops, it's all crap. So unless I know for sure the more expensive item IS going to last, I save my money.<div></div><div>My dad also taught me well, "never throw anything away without at least taking something off it"</div><div></div><div>Right now I have 3 printers ranging from $100.00 to $500.00, they all lasted less then 1 year and are now broken or need new parts, parts that cost as much as a new one (that comes with full ink tanks) So they are waiting to be stripped of motors, glass and lights. . . and I get a new one, again for $150.00. Now if I could fine one that would last for 10 years, even if it was $1000.00 I'd buy it.</div>
Iagree with you that ALOTof stuff now is made in Chine (or another Asian country). There is still a HUGEdifference in buying a product straight out of China and buying it from someone in the US (relative to the quality of the UScompany).

I work for a company where we have certain items that we may prototype and then send to china to have made. Here's how it works: If you send them something and tell them to make a copy of it, they will makethe cheapest possible piece they can, and overlook 90% of the design of theitem.Telling them exactly what you need and howyou need it, and expalaining that certain partsneed to be exactly a certain way helps, but then westill end up getting samples, calling the manufacturer andexplaining what needs to be changed, and then repeating the process a few times. It is usually a long, grueling process trying to get them to get it right.

If you are a business in China, you are expected to deliver Chineese quality. If you are a business in the US, you are held to a higher standard. Just because your product is made in China does not in any way mean it is of comparablequality to something you would buydirectly from the Chineese.

srt10 09-09-2010 09:51 PM

ORIGINAL: dmoesch

Want to get something for your kids? Not sure a kid can handle brushless....
Some of the reactions here are priceless.....its just people that are upset they spent 400 on a pro boat when they could have had a similar boat for $150-$200.
The reactions to HK are comical. I just bought the EVO from HK, it runs about 40mph and has a nice fiberglass hull that is very duable and handles very well. Far from ''junk tub toy'' material. Could it use a better esc? Sure it could....but I am still running my stock one until it burns out (which has made it about 10 runs so far).
<span class=''info''></span>If this tunnel hull is similar in quality to the EVO, then its certainly not junk tub toy.

To Funny! :D
this F1 is in no way equal to the Proboat F1
if you want a kick around then get the cheaper HC, but if you want to race..
The $330 Proboat is the RTR F1 to have ;)

keithbradley 09-09-2010 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: srt10

Want to get something for your kids? Not sure a kid can handle brushless....
The reactions to HK are comical. I just bought the EVO from HK, it runs about 40mph and has a nice fiberglass hull that is very duable and handles very well. Far from ''junk tub toy'' material. Could it use a better esc? Sure it could....but I am still running my stock one until it burns out (which has made it about 10 runs so far).
If this tunnel hull is similar in quality to the EVO, then its certainly not junk tub toy.

To Funny! :D
this F1 is in no way equal to the Proboat F1
The $330 Proboat is the RTR F1 to have ;)
Agree. If it were a mono it would be one thing, but a tunnel ismuch moresensitive to design. I would have to believe this boat was a very loose copy of something else, not a boat that was specifically designed to race well. I would buy Darin's boat before this one regardless of what the price is. This boat would probably befun to someone who is just starting out and has nothing to compare it to, but if you have boats that perform well, there is no need/want for something like this.

dmoesch 09-09-2010 10:16 PM

To Funny! [img]{akamaiimageforum}/image/s2.gif[/img]
this <font color="#000000">F1</font> is in no way equal to the Proboat F1
The $330 Proboat is the RTR F1 to have [img]{akamaiimageforum}/image/s4.gif[/img] And I am sure you have done a side by side comparison..with both in your hand...I am curious, what exactly makes it 3 times the price better?

mickieb49 09-09-2010 11:03 PM

Geeze, talk about comical.
I also have never had a problem with HK, the brushless motor that is included on this hull equals one the size of a 180 size, they do not like LIPO's, and only run on NIMH 7.2 v battery's.
Always with rc stuff , YOUGETWHATYOUPAYFOR.

srt10 09-09-2010 11:20 PM

To Funny! [img][/img]
this <font color=''#000000''>F1</font> is in no way equal to the Proboat F1
The $330 Proboat is the RTR F1 to have [img][/img] And I am sure you have done a side by side comparison..with both in your hand...I am curious, what exactly makes it 3 times the price better?

Well first get a calculator because the Proboat is not 3x the price, plus the Proboat is a BnD
The fit and finish of the Stiletto is amazing
and second read around at who designed the Stiletto [:-]
I buy lots from HC, and in fact I just placed an order lastnight for some Lipos but for a RTR F1 I would not waste my time and spend the extra cash on the Stiletto
and if someone needs to explain exactly what makes it worth the price to you, then it obvious you are new to FE Tunnels

new2rcboating 09-10-2010 05:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Hi Guy's ,

At the end of the day both boats in this thread are being produced by Chinese & other Asian guest workers , for a wage that you or I would not work for ( $2.00 U.S ) , also the living conditions for guest workers is deplorable . If one has a bit better quality that's because " B " company has a a certain level of reputation to uphold . Please consider this before knocking a boat that has no " Spin " attached , most boats will perform within certain perimteres of one another for the 90% that are not preparing for world champoinships . BG

NobodyFamous 09-10-2010 07:08 AM

1 fact that remains true is hull design.  Regardless of where the boat is made, what makes the difference is the hull.  Things that are actually made in the USA, Canada, or the UK generally have better machining, tooling, etc.  So they are of a higher quality.  You also have to pay the price it takes to have a resident do the work.<div>
</div><div>Now (and I may be wrong) if I buy a LiPo from HK for $40.00, $40.00 go into the Chinese company, but If I got to Walmart and buy a $40.00 pair of pants (the local guy, Satan himself) I think more like $5.00 goes to the Chinese company.</div><div>
</div><div>I am also a firm believer in supporting the small business' because they specialize in what they sell, and sell it because they have a passion for it.  You go to Canadian Tire, Walmart, Futureshop, Home Depot, Target, Home Hardware, Central, Sears, and more, you get some punk ass person just trying to earn a wage so they can buy direct from the Chinese company.  They generally have very little product knowledge. (please don't defend the small 10% of the big box employes who are actually good, I was one of them but still don't believe they exist)</div><div>
</div><div>All in all, firstly support your local small guy if you have one.  Second, buy direct whenever posable. Third, diss walmart at least once a day.</div><div>
</div><div>P.S.</div><div>the HK Genesis Cat seems to kick serious ass, and only cost me $270.00 landed.  Mind you it needs a new speed controller.  What would a comparative "local" made hull with the same motor and hardware cost?</div>