Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Any experience running a gas boat from a real boat?

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Any experience running a gas boat from a real boat?

Old 09-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any experience running a gas boat from a real boat?

I've been looking at one of these gas boat for a toy to take to the cove when we anchor up, but just wondering how the logistics work out. I have no experience with these larger boats. I'm mainly concerned with not spilling fuel onboard, and safely securing the boat in the cuddy. (Even the best weedwacker gas cans manage to leak when tipped over in my pickup bed.) My only other option would be brushless electric. Also, with stock mufflers are they relatively unannoying, or incredibly loud no matter what? Thanks.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:55 AM
martno1fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any experience running a gas boat from a real boat?

There are quiet pipes arround,try the jeroentune pipes or the china equivalent,theyre under 82 db,way quiter than any american pipe i know.
Mart
lots of guys this side use this one ive got one on order as we speak
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/stainless-stee...item414a897ff3
Old 09-26-2010, 05:14 PM
bermy100plus

Depending on the size of your real boat,will also determine what size boat your looking for so that you can safely transport. A friend of mine used to take his 50" apache and another friends 48" challenger out in a 22ft center console without problems. You wouldn't have any noise problems using a silencer or even a quiet pipe.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:17 PM
02f350psd
My Feedback: (3)

From experience, it can be tough running in a cove with other boats around. You have the risk of losing control of the boat and hitting other boats (or your own) or people in the water. The larger boats can be very dangerous. It is very tough keeping everything secure in a cuddy especially with carpet and what not (spilling fuel). They can be loud and quickly annoy other boaters in the area.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Tommygun

Good to know, brushless it is, thanks.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:40 AM
siberianhusky

If I saw one jet ski on the water I wouldn't feel any worries about noise firing up a boat. A pack of those things is way noisier and annoying than a single rc boat with a muffled pipe on it!
Spilled fuel and exhaust spooge would be the only issues running off a boat, as long as your full sized boat has enough room to safely move a running model. Would really suck carrying the moving a running boat and dropping a spinning prop on the seats!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:08 AM
blizard05

When I first started to run gas"1991"I went to a race in Webster MA. We ran a 3 mile course. We ran our boats from a real boat. In those days 40-45 mph was fast,30 -35 was average.(Zen 23 2 port converted to water cooled, and homilite 25-30) We ran 4 classes 1up to 21.9cc up to 23 mph 2 22-33cc 24-27 mph 3up to 33cc 28-33mph 4 over 33cc and twins Larry
Old 09-27-2010, 11:56 AM
team esp

I've personally never had any issues running from my boat and actually prefer it most times. I sometimes take them with me when we troll for trout/salmon in Lake Ontario. It helps pass the time when the fishing is slow and it has no chance of annoying anybody 8-10mi. offshore, even if we run them for hours.

Near other boat traffic, nobody seems to really care. Just realize that they will draw the interest of other boaters like magnets for obvious reasons. And, like mentioned above, the noise is minimal at least in my area. A 260 with a decent pipe or even a canister exhaust is nothing compared to the Fountains, Scarabs, and Hustlers running up and down the river.

In very rough water I'll secure them towards the transom area as it gets less violent back there. Same with the fuel. In regular conditions they're safe in the cabin area. The reason I prefer gas to electric out there is the fact I can run all day with a gallon of fuel and not need $200 in batteries or an hour of downtime to recharge.

Oh, and invest the $40 in a good fuel can and pump. Most of your spilling will be during refueling. The can will let you refuel and de-fuel without spilling 1 drop.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Tommygun

This is all good info. You mentioned exhaust spooge, but I thought the gasoline boats didn't leave the oily residue like their cantankerous glow powered counterparts. At least my weedwacker doesn't seem to leave any oil slick anywhere. Also, I though the prop remained stationary with engine at idle on the newer clutch-equipped boats. I bet it would draw a crowd; whenever I fly my electric seaplane boats/jetskis come out of the woodwork to watch.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:37 PM
JaredW
My Feedback: (1)

Back in like 02, 03 all we had was my dad's old 79' Sea Ray.  It always took at least 2 people.  We would put the R/C boat in the floor or launch it off the dock and jump in the big boat and idle out.  One person driving the real boat and one for the R/C.  Needless to say the R/C I had at that time was faster.  We never went into coves,  just ran long open streatches of the lake for long periods of time.  We liked to run the boat that way and then run close to shore so people would see it go by and they always got a kick out of it.  I now have my own boat but have not ever put an R/C in it.  I plan on moving up to a 35' Fountain and there is room in the engine bay to have a rack to store my Apache.  May be a while before I get all the done but that is the plan.