Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

76.5" Miami Vice Scarab KV38

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

76.5" Miami Vice Scarab KV38

Old 11-18-2010, 10:44 AM
01VIPER27
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76.5" Miami Vice Scarab KV38

Guys,
You have to see this boat in person!!! I did and I would have not left Tony's shop if the boat only fit the elevator in my condo or if I at least were living on the 1st floor. This boat is a beauty as it has a unique true cockpit where you can have 1 - 3 full action figures stand or sit in it holding onto the steering wheel or throttle while the 3rd does the NAV.It broke my heart leaving it there only to dream about it.

I have been getting allot of calls about a big boat we manufacture, and many think it is something new, when indeed it is well over 20 years old.
In the late 80's we made many twin (side-by-side) gas boats, and in those days it was easier to ship them. This is a true version of the famous Miami Vice Scarab 38KV. It is 76.5" in length and the beam is 18". We have sold this hull for many years since, but always by word of mouth. We are offering the hull as a base price of: $450.00 with standard 5" stringer spacing. We can install a three rail system for side-by-sides for: $500.00. For colors, Red or Yellow add: $30.00 to cover the additional GelCoat.

This boat is stunning and it doesn't have a conventional hatch cover. The size and design permits the bottom of the cockpit to be cut out as well as the engine hatch area and you can access engines and radio box, and all internal components from these points. The deck gets fastened to the hull with screws so there is no need to permanently fiberglass the deck and hull together. This makes it possible to rig the boat with the deck off then bolt it on when finished. The shoe-box fit is near perfect with a 5/8" flange, and all of the counter sunk screws will be covered by the rub rail when complete. We simply apply a silicon bead under the shoe box and the deck is permanently in place, but can be removed if ever necessary. Use the cut-away fiberglass pieces to make a dual engine cover, and add some upholstery for a scale look.
This boat has become re-popularized with the advent of the inline engine and it runs great with one and is easy to assemble. We make our inline specific for this hull with left and right exhaust headers.

I made a comment after we ran the first one with the M5 inline that it looked like a 46" Team Enforcer when it was a couple hundred feet from shore, it actually danced like the smaller boat. I would say it was every bit doing 45 MPH.

You can build a complete boat with a modified M5 inline for just about $2,000.00, so why would anyone spend $4-5K elsewhere. We will supply all of the components if you like, and we can even perform things like install the engine, hardware, and tuned pipes if you wish, you do the rest.
The only kicker is the shipping, it must be crated and truck shipped, and that can cost as much as the hull.

Give us a call if you are interested. I have two sold being assembled at this time and I am going to ask the customers to share their finishing experience with you guys on this forum.

Here's a couple pictures with Pam modeling for you.

Thanks,
Tony C.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 76.5

Not a bad looking boat. Has some size to it and a good beam. Curious how many he has sold in 20 years - I for one cannot claim to have ever seen one before.

Make a fun sport boat
Old 11-18-2010, 11:07 AM
01VIPER27

I saw Tony when I visited Florida this past September. He had 2 of them just out of the moldand a 3rd in the stove. The original 2 were sold to Miami Vice the TV Series as props. I believe Tony said the top speed was 20 MPH. You can ask him for thefull story on it. You have to add this to your collection buddy. YOUHAVETO!

If only I live on the ground floor, I would have this along my 64F which barely fits my eleveator.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:44 AM
adrianojp

This baby really looks the part!
I'm not so convinced about the hull/deck joining with screws: structurally talking this is not a great idea. On the other hand, the system represents a Great benefit while building it!

Use the stairs,build one and show us more pictures!

Cheers,
AJ
Old 11-18-2010, 12:15 PM
01VIPER27

I would love to but I LIVE ON THE 8TH FLOOR BUDDY!

I dont see it as a structuralproblem, Automotive GOOP will secure the deck along with the screws plus one can tape it up and resin it down if one chooses to.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:16 PM
GETUSUM
My Feedback: (7)

were the sides of the boat smooth, looks in the pictures that they have ribs in it,,,

how wide is it???
Old 11-18-2010, 12:21 PM
01VIPER27

The side as you see it has bends for structural strenghtening of the freeboard. The boat is 18" wide.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:26 PM
martno1fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont like the fact it has no hatch,would make things very awkward for fitting things in the hull no matter how big the boat is.I most def dont like the idea of screwing the deck on either thats a silly idea,all boats need to have the deck join glassed or its going to come apart the first time it gets dunked.Its not a bad looking boat though.
Mart
Old 11-18-2010, 07:54 PM
carprigger38
My Feedback: (6)

For lack of a hatch you'de have to cut the exsisting interior structure out,modify it to your liking,use it for a plug.The sky is the limit and most of its rite there already done.Sounds like there not a big market for it though,...but if the rite guy did the mods to the hull hatch it could be a worthy choice and marketable as a finished kit decked out in scale!

Oh man matt a few RCMK s520's in that baby,....
Old 11-18-2010, 09:11 PM
01VIPER27

It did say it was a 20 year old design. As for the deck being joined with screw and silicone or preferrably AutomtiveGOOP I asure you it would be as strong as if it were resined down.Again it can be resined after the build is completed ifonechooses to do so. I personally think that if I were to build this to scale looks thatit would be more beneficial to have the deck separate from the hull. Imagine ifyou were to put rigging on thedeck,would it not be easier for you to have the deck apart from the hullto do all your riggings on the bow ratherthan have it together then reach fortheholes where you have to secure your riggings.

I can assure you that Automotive GOOP is better than silicone and you will crack both the hull and deckshould you wish to seperate them after it has set and fastened with screw.

As for a hatch,you can do one ofa fewthings to access your engine and radio box as the possibilities are endless;
1. Cut out the entire cockpit area so that it is removeable or hinged to access your engine(s) and radio box
2. Cut the cockpit floor to access the engine bay so that it is removeable or hinged then cut the rear deck so that it is removeable or hinged to access the radio box

No disrespect to anybody nor will i toot for anyone but I personally do not like theAPACHE or SCARABlook but when I saw that cockpit of Tony's Scarab KV 38 it changed my point of view. Check this out, thecockpit floor is high enough to clear the spark plug(s) yet deep enough to fita full action figurepilot rather than half a pilotor worst 3 half pilots.

Picture this, 2 Annihilator engines side by side or 2 inline RCMK's turning the biggest prop you can find doing a 2 mile run flat out. OUUUUUCH......
Old 11-19-2010, 03:06 AM
martno1fan

If you go cutting it up you will have a lot of work to do to make a usable hatch,this is why most manufacturers spend the time to make a seperate hatch that fits the opening so im surprised they didnt do that.To me that deck is unfinished because the person wanting to use it will have some serious work to have a useable hatch,this is just my honest opinion.The price of the actual hull isnt bad at all,maybe its just me but i would be wanting a useable hatch and not have to be making one or have to be cutting holes to get inside the thing.All this work could have been done when the plug was made so it had two seperate parts ,a deck and a hatch.
Mart
Old 11-19-2010, 04:33 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While I am more familiar with the premade hatch concept the fact that I would have to cut one would probably do more to inspire me to get creative with the micro saw. Could be fun and end up basically seamless. The bonded deck is not a big deal to me. Again - can get a little more creative before bonding the hatch down.

Think I will add one of these to the list of boats I will have to get and then add to the pile of unfinished projects that I may never get finished this lifetime. Price is respectable (figure it would be more than double that if it came from Germany) but shipping might be a shock.

01VIPER27 - think the elevator restriction is no excuse Stand it on its nose and it will fit.[link=http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/wramed?p=27&n=1&m=-1&c=2&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=4] Even my big fountain fits[/link]
Old 11-19-2010, 06:28 AM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

While I am more familiar with the premade hatch concept the fact that I would have to cut one would probably do more to inspire me to get creative with the micro saw. Could be fun and end up basically seamless. The bonded deck is not a big deal to me. Again - can get a little more creative before bonding the hatch down.

Think I will add one of these to the list of boats I will have to get and then add to the pile of unfinished projects that I may never get finished this lifetime. Price is respectable (figure it would be more than double that if it came from Germany) but shipping might be a shock.

01VIPER27 - think the elevator restriction is no excuse Stand it on its nose and it will fit.[link=http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/wramed?p=27&n=1&m=-1&c=2&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=4] Even my big fountain fits[/link]
Well good luck with that Matt,think you will find out just how much work is involved if you decide to undertake that project .I really do find it hard to believe that this hull has been in production for 20 years and they havent got round to making a hatch lol.
Mart
Old 11-19-2010, 08:55 AM
01VIPER27

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

If you go cutting it up you will have a lot of work to do to make a usable hatch,this is why most manufacturers spend the time to make a seperate hatch that fits the opening so im surprised they didnt do that.To me that deck is unfinished because the person wanting to use it will have some serious work to have a useable hatch,this is just my honest opinion.The price of the actual hull isnt bad at all,maybe its just me but i would be wanting a useable hatch and not have to be making one or have to be cutting holes to get inside the thing.All this work could have been done when the plug was made so it had two seperate parts ,a deck and a hatch.
Mart
Tony did do his job in my opinion with the modeler in mind as it states that the deck has a 5/8" lip where the deck can sit on, glued down, and screwed down ( and resined if you like). You can seperate /hinge the deck in two in front of the windshield and only fasten the front end. 1 cut then hinge and secure the cockpit's rear lip with two or 1 hold down or pins in place.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:38 AM
martno1fan

We will have to agree to disagree on this im afraid .
Old 11-20-2010, 03:35 AM
martno1fan

I meant to ask if theres any pics of one of these built up showing the mods done to the hatch etc,be good to see some.
Mart
Old 11-20-2010, 10:28 AM
01VIPER27

Tony did say in his post that I copied from his website forum that thereare a couple of customers who he will ask to share their build. As you know, not all will share their build for whatever reason. Maybe Tony himself can chime in or you can call to question Tony directly as to why he did not want to change his 20 year olddesign.