Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Zipp Kits Rockett rudder location

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Zipp Kits Rockett rudder location

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 06:59 PM
grant118
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zipp Kits Rockett rudder location

Hi all. In the process of building the Zip Kits Rockett. I am using the recommended hardware purchased from Zipp Kits. The instruction calls for the rudder to be offset 2 3/4" to the left of the strut (when standing behind the boat). This leaves very little room for the exhaust to exit the transom to the left of the rudder mounting bracket. See photo. Did anyone else find this to be a problem? It looks like it will just fit, but did not know if this would cause a problem.[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41679.gif
Views:	70
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	1648486  
Old 08-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Zipp Kits Rockett rudder location

You're going to have to flip the rudder bracket over which may need some doing to get it to work properly.
Page 37 kind of shows you how to do it but with another rudder. Now comes the next problem. I just went down and looked at the rudder on my JAE gas 'rigger which is similar, just a shorter bracket. The hinge pin must come out to get the rudder arm swapped over to the other side. I see no easy way to do that but I'm not puling my rudder apart to see if there could be a hidden set screw inside of the hinge ahead of the rudder.
Option 2 is to place it on the right side instead of the left.
Usually if I have a question about something like this I'd just give Joe a call.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:43 PM
jvdd

Yeh I found that also and checked out someother build on another dock and found that people were putting the rudder on the otherside.
this is what I did and she runs great. it was a fun build and I hope you are enjoying it too.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23101.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	1648556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12887.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1648557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19675.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1648558  
Old 08-14-2011, 12:20 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its a problem switch the rudder to the right it works just as well,quite a few tested this and found no problems,i installed the rudder on the right on my own T boat the comet and she handles awesome so if i were you id just switch sides .I also had a rocket and loved it she ran over 60 with ease with a full mod zen"Awesome boats".
Mart
Old 08-14-2011, 03:23 AM
grant118

Hi Mart. Thanks for the reply. I remember your Rockett from the videos. I think I will mount it to the right side. Thanks all for the quick reply.
chris
Old 08-14-2011, 04:00 AM
martno1fan

All i would suggest is try and keep the rudder so the linkage is pulling in a right turn this means no problems with the linkage wanting to flex,i had my pushrod inside an old popup tent glass tube to eliminmate flexing,my linkage was just piano wire as it was easier to find in the length i needed.
Mart
ps i still miss my old Rockett
Old 08-14-2011, 09:00 AM
grant118

What happened to your Rockett, Are you going to build another one?
chris
Old 08-14-2011, 09:22 AM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: grant118

What happened to your Rockett, Are you going to build another one?
chris
I sold it mate as i didnt have time to run her much and as i now have moulds for the Comet which as most on here know was developed using the Rockett as inspiration with Joe,s permision.The comet is 50" long and was scratch built from plywood and balsa using some aspects of the Roketts design,mainly the angles of the sponsons and ridepad design,ive yet to actually build one for me lol.At this moment i dont even have a boat i can run as i sold them as im too busy building for others but such is life i supose.My next project will be a fast electric twin mono using my Arrow hull,should be fairly quick i hope.Ill probably build it run it a few times and sell it again lol.
Mart
Old 08-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Joe Petro

If you are racing your Rockett, put the rudder on the left side.
This allows you to use less left trim to go straight, adding an mph or 2.
The other advantage to this is that you are "pulling" the pushrod for a right turn. Any pushrod flex is cancelled out.
If you are concerned about room for an exhaust outlet, use our outlet. It's small diameter bezel works well in this application.
This outlet is also available in our pipe extension kits (6 and 12 inch available).

Our rudders can be used either way by simply drilling the small bolt hole larger and using a larger screw.
The hinge pin is held in with a set screw. You can see this when you unbolt the rudder blade. You should check this when you get the rudder, and tighten if needed.

Above all else, enjoy yourself!

Joe
Old 08-15-2011, 04:15 AM
grant118

10-4 Joe. Will do. I bought all the hardware from you (real nice quality!!) and have the proper exhaust extensions. Do you think I should still use a brass screw for the hole that I drill out? I assume that this is a feature that if you hit something in the water, the rudder will kick up instead of tearing out the transom???

Thanks,
chris
Old 08-15-2011, 05:44 AM
danielplace

ORIGINAL: grant118

10-4 Joe. Will do. I bought all the hardware from you (real nice quality!!) and have the proper exhaust extensions. Do you think I should still use a brass screw for the hole that I drill out? I assume that this is a feature that if you hit something in the water, the rudder will kick up instead of tearing out the transom???

Thanks,
chris
Yes if you drill out the rudder shear bolt hole for a 8-32 then it should be brass which in 8-32 is almost to much strength when it is installed in a double shear situation like a rudder bracket has. If you don't want your transom torn outa the hull you might even consider a nylon bolt. You might be able to put two slivers of brass tubing red locktited in place to sleeve down the holes and retain the small 4-40 brass bolt through the bottom hole. Actually it might be metric sized fasteners on Zippkits hardware but same idea. ???
Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Joe Petro

I use an 8-32 stainless screw. I eliminate the "safety shear" feature.
I have never seen a torn out transom, even with boats running over other boats...

Joe