Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

NEW Zippkit rigger build

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

NEW Zippkit rigger build

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 04:34 PM
glennb2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW Zippkit rigger build

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Here is my latest setup. the skeg was a small one from http://www.marinespecialties-rc.com/

It's tricky to tell for sure from the picture, but it looks a lot like your drive line is angled down an awful lot, which if it is as much as it looks is most likely having an impact on the models handling.

I'd check it and try to start with it parallel to the bottom of the tub and take it from there.

Glenn
Old 04-24-2012, 05:25 PM
advanced builder

NO Sir
All holes in the tub come pre-drilled. You match the brass to the pre drilled driveline holes. Gotten well over a dozen JAE riggers built. Had 6 going this past winter. be hitting 2 dozen riggers gas and nitro pretty soon built. by me.
Neil
Old 04-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've seen and heard of several ways to work on the handling issues. First I have say that unless you're running a highly pitched prop on this boat you really shouldn't have any problem. I was only using a 6719/3 10 degree prop or it's cousin, an Octura V-967/3. Both don't have a lot of blade area which has to help as one with bigger blades has to give more of a paddlewheel effect.
One boater that I know has worked on a few of these and removed the ski completely and used a flat-bottomed skeg with great results, great results being an extra 8 MPH just by that mod alone. He is also working on a set of rear shoes and tiling or shingling the front sponsons. The fronts already have one shingle on it as the kit comes but feels more will be better.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:17 AM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

I've seen and heard of several ways to work on the handling issues. First I have say that unless you're running a highly pitched prop on this boat you really shouldn't have any problem. I was only using a 6719/3 10 degree prop or it's cousin, an Octura V-967/3. Both don't have a lot of blade area which has to help as one with bigger blades has to give more of a paddlewheel effect.
One boater that I know has worked on a few of these and removed the ski completely and used a flat-bottomed skeg with great results, great results being an extra 8 MPH just by that mod alone. He is also working on a set of rear shoes and tiling or shingling the front sponsons. The fronts already have one shingle on it as the kit comes but feels more will be better.
Thanks Ron
The 10 % servo throw didn't work for me ,I'm up to 25-20 % throw on the rudder. I'll test as is first .If more tinkering is need then I'll go down that road. No ski -yee ha I can get the hull to go left but it don't like it. I've flipped it.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:57 AM
Ron Olson

Mine wouldn't make lefts unless I dropped the speed to down to next to nothing but that's the character of 'riggers.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:27 AM
advanced builder

Yes Ron you need to let off or you will flip ,trying to turn left. I found that out already. Joe has suggested to go with a small extension on the rudder 1 1/2 " The rudder will be ahead of the prop. .up close to the transom. I took off the carb cover and she started right up. I have Joe's internal baffle pipe on. Ive run that pipe before, the American pipe still needs to be tested. I added a larger battery to help with that 1/4 scale servo. My engine servo was real weak, the 1/4 scale servo took all the energy.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Ron Olson

Talk to Joe as he's coming out with a longer rudder for the boat.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Ron Olson

Talk to Joe as he's coming out with a longer rudder for the boat.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 AM
JLB7569
My Feedback: (13)

Hello, I just got a nicely used JAE gas rigger off of a friend and I'm in need of a full cowl for it. Do you know where I can get a custom made cowl for it that covers the carb from water splashing? Please let me know. Thanks, Jamie.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:20 AM
advanced builder

Over on Jim's boat dock Manufacturing/ for/sale section http://www.jrcbd.com/showthread.php?t=62059
Old 05-02-2012, 12:20 PM
advanced builder

I will have a video out this weekend ,Sat I will be adding a plexiglass sheet to the right side near the trunfin to help with any water going into the carb. I have the closeup rudder extension. 1 1/2 " away from the transom. Pic to follow Thanks Ron for the help. No cowl but its painted. I may cut 1 " off the front of the cowl to help in the covering of the engine. If I mounted the engine closer to the radio box I'd been OK with the cowl but I mounted my engine forward some. Too late now. I took the American pipe and benched it. I have Joe's Victory pipe on. The engine sound real strong after I took off the carb cover.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:13 AM
advanced builder

We were kinda ready the fuel bag got a hole. The fuel didn't want to go up the line. So no running stay tune. All mods are done and we just need to test. She is ready ,This weekend. I don't like to cover the carb ,I don't want to loose a expensive engine. I'm out of fuel bags so we will hard case the fuel.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:31 AM
Ron Olson

Get ahold of Joe as he's now selling 250 and 500ml IV bags plus the plumbing if you need it.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:13 AM
advanced builder

Yes Ron thanks I didn't know that as I'm not on the mailing list anymore. I never get any updates. Someone deleted me
Old 05-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Ron Olson

I don't get any updates either, I just keep on checking his site for new items. He does carry a few other items not on his site that may not be on there yet but he's also looking for more things to sell so Joe is taking suggestions. He was talking about carrying a cable lube like the Prather grease and I wish that e would as I love the stuff and am getting to the bottom of my container of it.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:40 PM
advanced builder

I got her out today. Wow what a thrill. My skeg from Marinespecialties got ripped off. I had {4} 2 -56 screws holding down the sheg. Not nearly enough. Joe gave me a Zippkit skeg made for the JAE rigger. Moving the rudder up really helped. Joe ran a new version the JAE G2 I think he called it, as my hearing isn't good. I don't even know if it's released yet. He had a test hull. Everyone ran good as we has a full crew running. I left when Tom has a signal loss and a runaway boat. Yes he hit a mud bank and hopefully no damage. My .12NR JAE rigger ran good my .21CMB ran the best this season. My .45CMB purple head did one lap and a stuck carb again,and a blown servo. The carb is new and I took it apart and 1200 grit ,it still got stuck. [:@]
I'm looking for some 90 degree water outlets for the gas engine head I need 3
Old 05-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Ron Olson

Joe raced a revised version at the Hobart Indy Masters race last September but it's still a work in progress. You can probably pick out the subtle differences between them. The last I knew he was finding out what is and isn't working out.

Having problems trying to upload pix right now.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:44 PM
advanced builder

I added a right rudder servo setting. Not parallel,not much but some. We are close I'm learning to go left , but you need to back off the throttle. I getting to be a good RIGGER driver. I know how to come off pipe and get back on. On ALL of them. I can't say that last season. I can make a start. and go 6 laps. We race next weekend. So we will see. I like my setup. Joe's Zipp pipe ran well on both hulls . I can go shorter on my pipe.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Ron Olson

Did you give the right sponson 1/16" of toe-in? That helps a lot.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:52 AM
advanced builder

I didn't look but I will .Joe has 2 different sponsons on his gas JAE. The riding AoA has been changed. How much is still a secret. As I don't need to let the cat out of the bag. Until the release.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Ron Olson

I know that he's tried different things, some work, other haven't. He tried narrowing the ski which didn't seem to work and offsetting the tub (or sponsons depending on how you want to look at it). Others are more structural in nature.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82545.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1762236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38643.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1762237  
Old 05-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Joe Petro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of things:

I am running our JAE Gas V2 outrigger. In production for a few months now and available on our site.
This one has lots of changes and it handles really well (no rear skeg needed).
This new kit even includes boom tube collars and a carb shield...

The AOA on the sponsons is 4 degrees on the right and 3 on the left...

Our pipe is called the Zipp Super Tuned Pipe. Victory is another brand of pipe.
I don't want to get any threatening emails from the maker of those pipes...[>:]

Joe
Old 05-13-2012, 08:05 PM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Joe Petro

A couple of things:

I am running our JAE Gas V2 outrigger. In production for a few months now and available on our site.
This one has lots of changes and it handles really well (no rear skeg needed).
This new kit even includes boom tube collars and a carb shield...

The AOA on the sponsons is 4 degrees on the right and 3 on the left...

Our pipe is called the Zipp Super Tuned Pipe. Victory is another brand of pipe.
I don't want to get any threatening emails from the maker of those pipes...[>:]

Joe
Joe do you sell the left sponson as a extra with the cover plate. Did you change both sponson AoA?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 AM
Joe Petro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neil, I wouldn't change anything on your rigger. It is running just fine as is. Just work on more speed (pipe and prop).

Joe
Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 AM
Ron Olson

I saw on Joe's site that he's using the ABC 2818 prop. I just got one in last week from Bob English at G-Force but Chris "Dasboata" Hoffmann also has them in stock. This may be THE prop to run this year on gas 'riggers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.