Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Old Dumas Gas Scarab help needed.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Old Dumas Gas Scarab help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 11:47 PM
gbeckwith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Dumas Gas Scarab help needed.

I bought a Dumas 55" gas scarab in 1993 with the intent of building and running after I retired from the Navy. Well, it's out of the box and the planning has started. The 22cc McCulloch engine could use a pipe and intake mods and I'm sure the supplied prop could be upgraded, although no size information is provided. I can find no information on the web concerning this boat, pipes/carbs for the engine, etc. I don't want to reinvent the wheel so any of you who've had experience with this beauty I'd appreciate hearing from with suggestions for souping the stock parts.

One more thing: this appears to be a modified version of the current Deep Vee 55 Dumas has without all of the hardware provided in the kit I have.

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:05 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There aren't too many mods available for the Mac. Marine Specialties is the only place that I know of that has motor mounts, carb linkage and some other parts for it.
your going to want the link right? I think that it's www.marinespecialties-rc.us but not sure.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:47 AM
hifonixs

Default motor

get a zenoah 260 pum
Old 08-27-2003, 10:01 AM
RcBoatLover
My Feedback: (1)

Ask any one with a Zenoah engine and they will tell you the same thing. Nothing is better for the price. I see the 260 all the time on E-Bay for around $240.00 New in the box. There are several companys out there that make pipes, mounts, clutches, and so much more. It is very easy to get parts and advice with this engine. Unfortunatly the Mac is not very popular, so parts are not easy to come by. If you want to stick with a cheap "weed eater" engine I would suggest that you buy a Homelight because they are very popular too. Once again pipes, motor mounts, and more can be found very easily. I know you have the Mac engine in your hands and want to try it, but I think you will end up spending alot more than it's worth to get is going. If you still want to use it, I would try it with the stock muffler first to see how you like it. Then go with the tuned pipe if you like it.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:37 PM
zenoahhead28

Default RE: Old Dumas Gas Scarab help needed.

I have to agree with buying a zenoah. However, I would go with with a 260PUM. Im saying this because I've got a 44'' scarab with a 260 and it flies! so if you want to go for a faster boat, spend about 10 bux more and go with the 260Pum instead of the 230. Also think about a surface drive like the SPDIII from whobbies.com. It's a very nice drive for scarabs and especially with the 260PUM
Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2005, 11:41 PM
lzvagias

i concur with the zenoah verdict. i used to run a modified homelite 25cc and switched to a zenoah g260 pum and was blown away by the difference. much smaller and compact, and twice the power (literally)! i spent far more money trying to modify my homie than it would have cost me to just buy a zen from the start and still fell way short of the power.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:13 PM
skoda450

Stick with the McCulloch for fun with less hastle an noise. If you need speed, then jump on the Zenoah PUM 260 bandwagon. I started with a Dumas Scarab as well. Put an Echo 21cc stock and had a ball at 22 mph. Thought it was fast, until I wanted to race. As I remember the plans, the suggested motor is a nitro 60 (?) size. There are lots of changes to accomodate a weedwhacker motor but it can be done an works well in that hull. The only major change I would suggest is to bring the drive out the bottom of the transom verses the keel. The hull works very well in a surface drive setup and performance is boosted over the subsurface drive on the plans.