Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

first boat?

Old 01-25-2012, 06:22 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first boat?

Hey i'm new to boats and i have a 34cc chainsaw engine that I've been trying to figure out what to do with, I've considered a plane but i'm kinda leaning towards a boat. Like i said i'm new to boats so what would be a good easy to build or cheap to buy idiot proof boat? thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: first boat?

A chainsaw engine is not the way to go in a boat. First, they're really heavy. Secondly and most importantly, the rotation of the engine is backwards for boat use.
As far as good and cheap boat kits, check out www.zippkits.com . Easy to build, very reasonably priced and a very helpful detailed manual.

Really, forget the chainsaw motor. If you have to go cheap, look for a Homelite weedeater motor.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:40 AM
t-max97

Ive seen videos on youtube of boats with chainsaw engines so it can be done, As far as it being heavy im not looking for a speed demon just something to play around with at the lake and the engine is actually fairly small to be a 34cc. For the engine rotation couldn't you buy a prop thats backwards? thanks
Old 01-26-2012, 05:25 AM
amrharrymac
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been covered before, I personally don't know about any idiot-proof boats but there are a few RTR kits that can be modified into a reliable boat to have fun with. I think you got the most clear and consise answer from Ron. If you search the site there was a good article about 9 months ago where someone showed us how they cut the fins off of a chainsaw motor and modified the housing so it could be mounted. They may have taken the drive off of the pull-start end and used a geezer-wheel to start it; so the rotation would match the available props. No offence intended but the level of difficulty you are facing is beyond getting step-by-step advice you will get by asking questions; you would have to me a mister-gadget type of person who would get a charge out of showing us how you figured it all out.
The motors and hulls are so refined now with high quality and relatively low prices that It would, IMO, be best to follow one of the build threads and go with tried and proven results. Just my 2 cents. I have seen some cool stuff on youtube so that would also be a cool place to get an idea as well for the radical.
I have built heavy boats, and they are a real dissapointment. I would hate to see you get turned off from this really fun hobby. The idea of a chainsaw engine design is low RPMs with high tougue with a load that varies whereas a modern boat motor is designed for modorate to high RPMs at a constant load.
///Hope this Helps///
Old 01-26-2012, 08:50 AM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with every thing else thats needed, the price of the motor is not worth building around, its the heart of any boat, with zenohas going for 210.00 new and im sure you can find a used one very cheap, there just is no reason to go with what you have just because you have it, i agree with the one post saying it would be a shame if you did not go forward with model boating because you did not give it a fair chance,
Old 01-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Body Guard

Hi,
34cc chainsaw engine is a good engine to put in a boat. Mine was a 50cc and a 52cc chainsaws. Much too heavy for fun run, never mind racing. But if you want to do it, it CAN be done.
Attached some pics for your inspiration. Click on the links to see for yourself what you can believe in. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPH5XVZdZhw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cySid...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5pgOKIlBLQ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20081.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1719355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31211.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1719356  
Old 01-26-2012, 12:50 PM
t-max97

All i need is for it to be possible, i think i can figure out the rest. We have a fairly nice lathe so I can make alot of parts also. As far as the boat not being the best and turning me away from the hobby that wont happen, I might be new to boats but not new to rc at all so I know how fun it is even if the boat turns out terrible if i decide to make it. thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-26-2012, 01:11 PM
t-max97

I just watched the videos, nice boat! did you custom make it or a kit or what?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Body Guard

Thanks. Built from scratch. All of my F1 look alike tunnel boats are built from scratch to suit the category of engine I want to put in, for the different categories of locally mod engines.
Have you check out the other videos showing Zen powered tunnel Inboard set up. I'll get some pics to show you the conversion of chainsaw engine to left hand turn. Currently replacing new parts to my old ones and getting them ready for races.
My Pioneer 29 will either go into current tunnel or I'll build a new one.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:53 PM
t-max97

Nice, I just remembered I had an old ryobi weed eater a few years ago and i cant remember if i threw it away, ill look threw the shed tomorrow and see. cross your fingers lol
Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Body Guard

Here is a couple of pics that maybe of some help to you.

Name:	Ca81542.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1719713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98142.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1719714  
Old 01-27-2012, 12:51 AM
Body Guard

And a couple more.

Name:	Ax72820.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1719715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38782.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1719716  
Old 01-27-2012, 07:28 AM
t-max97

Thanks for the pics, I was looking around and people say that you can run older 2 strokes backwards and this engine is a 1974 model lol but it runs great so ill try to run it backwards when I get over this cold.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:51 AM
RCGasBoat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are bend on chain saw motors. Latif (Body Guard) is the man to talk to. He has some mean running tunnels on chain saw. He is the Axe man from the East.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:15 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: RCGasBoat

If you are bend on chain saw motors. Latif (Body Guard) is the man to talk to. He has some mean running tunnels on chain saw. He is the Axe man from the East.

The only reason I want to use the chainsaw engine is because I already have it, I dont have money to go buy some $200 zenoah. I might stop by the dump today and see if anyone is throwing away a weed eater that I can use.
ORIGINAL: RCGasBoat

Old 01-27-2012, 09:17 AM
t-max97

I don't know why it quoted that twice lol.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:35 PM
t-max97

Okay well I tookthe saw apart today and there is no way I can use it, this engine is specificly made for this saw there's nowhere to mount the carb on the engine it mounts to part of the saw body and also many other problems. But I called my grandad and he said he had two old weed eaters I could have so I'm getting them sunday and that will be better anyway.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:05 AM
advanced builder

I found this site http://www.macdizzy.com/index.htm
Old 01-31-2012, 06:51 PM
t-max97

I got the weed eaters and one Is an idc 500 in really good shape and really clean. Its just a ryobi 31cc, some company bought out idc that I dont remember the name and then they got bought out by ryobi and its the same thing. the other one is a old mcculloch and its tiny im not sure on the cc rating but its small thats for sure, I think ill use it for a plane. Both run good and start easy. I've already striped down the ryobi so the engine is ready to go besides having to make a mount for it. My dad has some small aluminium? tubing at work were gonna weld to make the frame and then cover it in fiber glass, what would be the best style boat for this engine? For the best chance at decent speed, a v-hull? or a flattish hull so it will plane or what?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Jackercsweden

This is my first boat : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bV9...66jo9k2i9END-K

and do not forgetto check outmychannel for moreboatclips : https://www.youtube.com/user/TheJacke08

MVH Jackercsweden
Old 05-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Jackercsweden

My first boat was a faluga who is a Swedish model and it was 120 cm long, but now I have the same model, though it is 140 cm long and it works even better than the first boat!

so please look at my youtube clips! for when I am encouraged and happy!

Jackercsweden

Old 05-05-2012, 06:58 AM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can make a mean airboat with a 50cc chainsaw motor, and they spin they right way for that application.