Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

How to finish my easy vee

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

How to finish my easy vee

Old 06-11-2012, 05:34 PM
xplayer930

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to finish my easy vee

Just finished building up my easy vee but im unsure how to finish it. I purchased Z-finishing resin so far. But should I used bondo before or after I epoxy the hull?? I dont wanna mess my hull up.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: How to finish my easy vee

I don't think that I'd use bondo anywhere on a wood hull. If you need a filler then mix up some epoxy with micro-balloons.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I have to agree with Ron, epoxy and microballoons. Seal the hull first with epoxy(I personnally prefer West Systems but it's spendy), spray on a coat of primer and sand. Fill any low spots with th epoxy/balloon mix and let cure. Next, sand as needed and then repeat the primer application and sanding. Do this until the hull meets your approval and then paint as desired. Be sure to clear coat the paint so fuel doesn't ruin your finish
Old 06-11-2012, 11:13 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bondo works fine,do it before sealing with epoxy ,done it loads of times works for me,be sure when you seal with epoxy you use an old credit card to scrape most of it off ,wipe with a paper towel also helps do this 3 times this way very little sanding to do before you paint.
Mart
Old 06-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, body filler works well in the finishing stage. I would not use it for any structural filling, but we use it in the very thin form, sometimes called Icing.
This stuff is polyester body filler but very thin. We appply a thin coat to the entire hull and sand most of it back off for a perfect surface.

Joe
Old 06-12-2012, 12:11 PM
xplayer930

Joe we spoke a couple weeks ago when i ordered my kit from you. I couldnt find that icing stuff, but was able to purchase this pink bondo that is super thin an comes in a tube. As for the finish I want a super smooth finish with no sign of wood grain. My friend is paining it for me an so far im doing a playboy trime. White bottom, with white flake sides with some grey flaking on the bow an stern ends. The top deck with be black with a big white bunny logo on it. I really dont see this boat getting on the water till august.

Also i discussed with you about wanting right an left turn steering. Can I just add a left turn fin?
Old 06-12-2012, 01:59 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want equal L&R steering ... set the rudder INLINE with the propshaft.

But shift your strut 6mm / 15/64" to the right.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:55 AM
xplayer930

I found the octora dual rudder setup with the surface drive. But I am unable to find the rmck surface drive which turns as a unit. Anyone know were I can get one?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:16 PM
advanced builder

I used Zpoxy resin on my hulls the stuff will color with Nitro ,turns brown But it hold up to gas OK After a season of heat racing,the hull got beat up some. But still can run with the best of -em A fancy painting no-way, if racing.