Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Any Gas Outboards???

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Any Gas Outboards???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Outboard Jay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Gas Outboards???

This is a thread that needs to be on RCU...for gas tunnel guys in and around the Bay Area. I would like to connect with anyone who is stuck in limbo as I have been for years. We need to make ourselves known to others. I know that there are boaters that have an interest in quarter scale F1 OB's here in Northern CA. There have been many very informational threads from South Africa and other countries who have developed lower legs, hulls and engines
that have been very successful. I'm informed enough to know that there are all sorts of negative arguments throughout the country as to the availability and costs of all the desired components needed to be a competitive racer.I have designed and built tunnel hulls since the late 60's from the Fuji OB through all the K&B's, Nelsons, OS , AMPS, etc. etc. ...I was OB chair for NAMBA; set the 1st speed record, and with the Pottles developed the 1st set of OB rules and set up the 1st outboard race at Spreckles Lake in SF with Mercury as sponser 36 years ago.
Yes, age has caught up with me. I'm 83, but I still believe that the only REAL BOAT IS A TUNNEL WITH AN ENGINE ON THE TRANSOM! That does not set too well with my fellow boaters who like to go around and around as fast as they can. God bless 'em, because they have kept RC boating alive. If you feel as I do, express yourself on RCU....maybe the numbers joining with strong reactions to my message would be enough to involve a number of manufacturers in producing good ole' USA gas tunnel OB's!!!

GO OUTBOARD

Jay Selby, Redwood City,CA

Old 08-28-2012, 02:45 AM
F1madness

Default RE: Any Gas Outboards???

Jay interesting thread 
We have same problem here in the uk theres only 3 gas tunnels that i know of 2 of which are inboard and built by me cos the availability and cost of OB is expensive and 1 OB which is 1 of doms
Im currently working on a couple of projects for OB and in talks with some1 to try and source the OBs for gas engines at mo which hopefully will work out ok and at a reasonable cost to make it more affordable 
We dont have a class for tunnels at moment for either inboard or outboard or even cats actually but hoping that will change in the near future and keep the tunnels alive and on edge 

Old 08-28-2012, 06:37 AM
Outboard Jay

Hello F1/UK!
Thanks for the response...I've given this whole question yrs. of thought. I have both of Dom's inboard and OB legs, plus J. Petros'. Are you aware of the new hulls ( DPI / Venom?) here? I'm going to push as much as my energy will allow to establish some sort of mechanism for gas F1's. I'll keep you in the loop!

Jay
Old 08-28-2012, 06:47 AM
Outboard Jay

F1,
My bad! ...Fred Howes' leg...Zipp kits' Allusion hull ....

Jay
Old 08-28-2012, 07:00 AM
F1madness

Hi Jay
the biggest problem we have here is if we import anything we get charged tax and and handling charges on top so makes items what seem cheap at the time very expensive which is annoying
Iv seen the lawless legs and doms legs but only in the pics LOL iv also seen the new DPI hull and the illusion
I design and build my own hulls at mo for both FE and Gas (inboard) and so far they perform great im looking forward to getting an OB and building a hull round it to suit 
Im just learning how to mould etc , aswell so hoping to produce my own hulls in the future
Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Jackal1983

Nice thread. I have to agree a real boat is an outboard boat!!!
I just doms f1 and leg in the uk. Just in the middle of a revamp to make it abit easyer to get on with!!!
Its got to be my favourite boat and it always seems to get a lot of attention when I have it out.
Im playing on the idea of building another.

Jack
Old 08-28-2012, 11:16 AM
F1TUNNEL

Hi Jay,
Have you seen the ML Boatworks kits also from the US? I will be getting one of these myself in the next few weeks. Ron Shaw is running his often as far as I know and I think there may be a few others as I am pretty sure they have a class in his nick of the woods. There does not seem to be many in the lower part of OZ but they become more popular the further you head north here.
I too only have ob tunnels, have nearly bought a mono, but will probably go a rigger if I step into a new field.
Cheers,
Dion.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Jackal1983

I quite fancy giving one of these ago!!

http://www.modellbaucenterlorenz.de/...roducts_id=796
Old 08-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Outboard Jay

Hey, this is a good start!! how about it good ole' USA?

Topic heading??? THE UNOFFICIAL USA GAS OUTBOARD THREAD ???
JAY
Old 08-28-2012, 12:59 PM
mickieb49

I have been developing an 49" tunnel hull specifically designed for the outboard, mold is done and i should be pulling the first hull out in a few weeks (time permitting) , the reason why i did my own was the prohibiting cost of getting say one of doms hulls out to Australia, and Joe petro at Zippkits refused to send the illusion here because of the length of the kit.
 It seems shipping and the lack of builders is the main contributing factor in the numbers of OB tunnel hulls around, there are a few INBD ones but they are no different to a cat. Well in my eyes anyway.
 If my tunnel goes ok, and testing will not be too far away, i will be selling the hulls here is OZ for around the $250-300 mark, and yes i know it is not scale looking, i have designed it that way.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10865371/tm.htm

Cheers Mick
Old 08-28-2012, 01:13 PM
F1madness

mickie
Dont wanna start arguement on here just because an F1 runs inboard doesnt make it any less of 1 to some its just a more cost effective way to be able to build and run them
Even the full scale guys have got inboard team now does that mean they are not an F1 ????
say no more
I come from a background of been involved with F2 and would much rather see an OB on the back but sometimes its just viable

Sorry Jay
Old 08-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Outboard Jay

That's OK with me... I have a gas inboard tunnel also that I set up in my quarter scale Seebold that has a dummy shroud...I ran it in '02 at the NAMBA NATS with a K&B OB...there's room for all tunnels "in or out"...that would be hard for some to swallow (including me!) ...but we NEED all the tunnel guys we can bring into the fold....the Caudwell is innovative and runs w/ the other full size F1's...our creations are not TOYS but miniature F1's...are we different or more stiff-necked than they???
Old 08-28-2012, 01:45 PM
F1madness

Cool
Agree with you there Tunnels are a class of there own watching it go by with just a couple of inches of hull in the water at full throttle and in full flight really is driving on the edge
But if the full scale guys can evolve to it why cant we,but too put it another way how long has RC inboard F1's been running,long before those guys did LOL so who evolved 1st haha
Not sure if you seen my F1 but i run a dummy OB aswell to hide the exhaust away when on the water several meters away you cant tell the difference hehe
Old 08-28-2012, 03:08 PM
specialk1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Outboard Jay

This is a thread that needs to be on RCU...for gas tunnel guys in and around the Bay Area. I would like to connect with anyone who is stuck in limbo as I have been for years. We need to make ourselves known to others. I know that there are boaters that have an interest in quarter scale F1 OB's here in Northern CA. There have been many very informational threads from South Africa and other countries who have developed lower legs, hulls and engines
that have been very successful. I'm informed enough to know that there are all sorts of negative arguments throughout the country as to the availability and costs of all the desired components needed to be a competitive racer.I have designed and built tunnel hulls since the late 60's from the Fuji OB through all the K&B's, Nelsons, OS , AMPS, etc. etc. ...I was OB chair for NAMBA; set the 1st speed record, and with the Pottles developed the 1st set of OB rules and set up the 1st outboard race at Spreckles Lake in SF with Mercury as sponser 36 years ago.
Yes, age has caught up with me. I'm 83, but I still believe that the only REAL BOAT IS A TUNNEL WITH AN ENGINE ON THE TRANSOM! That does not set too well with my fellow boaters who like to go around and around as fast as they can. God bless 'em, because they have kept RC boating alive. If you feel as I do, express yourself on RCU....maybe the numbers joining with strong reactions to my message would be enough to involve a number of manufacturers in producing good ole' USA gas tunnel OB's!!!

GO OUTBOARD

Jay Selby, Redwood City,CA

I also agree ,a real boat is an outboard boat!!! I love nitro and gas tunnels { i still like to go fast with my other hull's LOL } the sad thing is I am the only one that has 1/4 scale gas outboard tunnel hulls . and i am the secretary of broward model boat club district 3 . and no one in the Miami boat club has any gas outboards now the only guys up north of me in palm beach FL, they have 3 members that have gas outboards , but we only see them once a year for a district race [:'(] i wish more guys got in to them so i could club race between Miami and broward

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61382.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	1796191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58921.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1796192  
Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 PM
mickieb49

ORIGINAL: F1madness

mickie
Dont wanna start arguement on here just because an F1 runs inboard doesnt make it any less of 1 to some its just a more cost effective way to be able to build and run them
Even the full scale guys have got inboard team now does that mean they are not an F1 ????
say no more
I come from a background of been involved with F2 and would much rather see an OB on the back but sometimes its just viable

Sorry Jay
Jay, no arguments here, just my own opinion and probably should have kept my mouth shut!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

As much as I like OB tunnels, there are probably a lot of us that started off RC boating with one with a K&B .21 hanging off it, the price of the gas OB's is getting way up there.
Insane Boats recently came out with an OB lower unit and although not as attractive as the real thing it seems to work really well. They've also had a hull out for a couple of years now that should work very well with it. Look for videos of it on You Tube.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:41 PM
rcguy1411

Would love to run a scale outboard MHZ has averry nice lower leg based on there Z drive the draw back is the ex hange rates and on the shipping i still love to run my K&B outboards one on my tunnel and the other is on a cat i would love to see a lower unit built for a rear exhaust RCMK this would be a great class to come back
Old 08-29-2012, 02:05 AM
Eddy de Vries

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But if the full scale guys can evolve to it why cant we,
Daz,

The main reason the fullscale F1 is "evolving" to inboard is the upcoming ban on two stroke engines, so if you want to do things right you better change to fourstroke as well ?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:57 AM
specialk1

ORIGINAL: Eddy de Vries

But if the full scale guys can evolve to it why cant we,
Daz,

The main reason the fullscale F1 is ''evolving'' to inboard is the upcoming ban on two stroke engines, so if you want to do things right you better change to fourstroke as well ?
ban on two stroke engines ?[:'(] why
Old 08-29-2012, 07:31 AM
specialk1

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

As much as I like OB tunnels, there are probably a lot of us that started off RC boating with one with a K&B .21 hanging off it, the price of the gas OB's is getting way up there.
Insane Boats recently came out with an OB lower unit and although not as attractive as the real thing it seems to work really well. They've also had a hull out for a couple of years now that should work very well with it. Look for videos of it on You Tube.
Ron i think another problem is that you dont see on TV like in the 80's & 90's much or any live tunnel hull racing in the USA anymore , and the newer kids are not inspierd like i was as a many others young kid to get into building a OB tunnel hull . the only thing Im glad for down here is the they are going to reopen the Miami Marine Stadium and it will bring back F1 tunnel hulls / hydro plane . drag / and many more kinds of boat racing back to south Florida
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49303.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1796365  
Old 08-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Outboard Jay

I'm sure (?) that all the interested parties that have replied so far are familiar with the South Africa gas OB guys that are very active ram-roded by Dominic Young. Go to YOU TUBE and type in FORMULAISH....there is a series of races that show the gas OB's at their best running a "dog leg" course that allows for speed ....but the emphasis is on driving not just "go fast and turn right"...there is other info on the RCU thread under GAS SPEED - OUTBOARDS.

LET'S KEEP THE DIALOGUE GOING!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2012, 08:28 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Quarter scale gas outboard?  Sounds like a weedeater with a prop replacing the cutting line and some cool housing to make it look like an outboard.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:03 AM
klord125

I saw on youtube a co. precision machine or marine? made one. Was wondering if it went into production. Really new to all of this. Thanks Ken
Old 08-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Mike2735
My Feedback: (3)

I am like most of you. The OB Tunnel has always been an awesome machine to me. The way it "flies" across the water and turns on a dime. There is just nothing else like it. I have an Aeromarine Cat that is nice but doesn't "do it" for me like my tunnels.

I have a VS-1 With a TT-3.5 and an Illusion Tunnel with a Lawless G-Drive powered by a Bonzi BZ-1. I don't have anyone around here to run with but I still have fun all the same. But it would be more fun to run with some guys.

Good thread Let's keep it going.

Mike
Nashville, NC
Old 08-29-2012, 11:09 AM
F1madness

This is a vid of my F1 inboard and flies just like the real deal,there is some differences in design for inboard
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgBhiieJF3w[/youtube]
The problem i got now since modding the engine is keeping it planted when hitting the throttle hard LOL a but still needs some fine tuning on the setup
1 thing i am thinking about is inboard setup with the new MHZ NXT Z drive so it will turn with the thrust of the prop and not a rudder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.