Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Gear vs flex-shaft for outboard drive? Which is better?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Gear vs flex-shaft for outboard drive? Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:30 AM
mas3ydds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear vs flex-shaft for outboard drive? Which is better?

I recently purchased one of Dom's 1/4 scale Miller's Legend F1 tunnel hull boats, and I'm looking for an engine/motor mount. I'm not sure how I'll power the boat - I could go electric or go gas. Hence, a mount should ideally accommodate both. Dom mentioned that his YPC Enigma camber mount would, and I suspect that mounting a motor on a Lawless leg wouldn't pose too much of a problem either.Any other leg options out there?

So, here's the big question: do I buy a leg that usesshafts/gears, or do I get one that uses a flex-shaft? Which is the better way to go? Dom obviously knows what he's talking about and he made some good arguments in favor of flex shaft drives - among them the fact that they'd be less prone to breakage if Idecide to go electric. Still though, something about gears seems more reliable and hassle-free to me. Ido not want to be replacingflex-shafts(let alone going swimming in polluted water to retrieve my boat if one breaks). Other than MHZ, are there any other gear-driven outboard legs out there?

Your opinions would be much appreciated.

Dom, if you're reading, hope you don't take offense - Ijust like gathering other opinions!!

Old 06-18-2013, 01:22 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Gear vs flex-shaft for outboard drive? Which is better?

Flexshaft setups are far more reliable than any geared setup .
Mart
Old 06-18-2013, 01:31 PM
mas3ydds

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Flexshaft setups are far more reliable than any geared setup .
Mart
So then why even offer geared legs? For the scale look? They also put the propeller closer to the hull, don't they, which probably has some advantages (less torque on the steering, quicker turns, perhaps?).
Old 06-18-2013, 01:39 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes exactly right scale looks,outdrives are stunning bits of kit but do not hold up to regular hard running.I suppose it depends on what you have planned,if your only an occasional boater and you want scale looks they work fine.
You say you were offered some advice by Dom on what to use on his hull ? well id say listen to it he knows what hes talking about.
Mart
Old 06-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Body Guard

mas3ydds,

Strange, I have not receive your email reply on the older design tunnel you are interested in. No matter.

There are other brands of geared lowers in the market. Arrow Shark and 2brothers. Contact Eddie de Vries for a set of lowers with flexi shaft which has a very stream lined torpedo.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33273.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	1893030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80499.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1893031  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:13 PM
mas3ydds

ORIGINAL: Body Guard

mas3ydds,

Strange, I have not receive your email reply on the older design tunnel you are interested in. No matter.

There are other brands of geared lowers in the market. Arrow Shark and 2brothers. Contact Eddie de Vries for a set of lowers with flexi shaft which has a very stream lined torpedo.

Bodyguard,
Send me an email about how to purchase the hull from you, when you get a chance.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Jackal1983

Geared outboards have come along way since the lawless leg become available. I have one of Dominic's legs on his Hull and it goes really nice. I'm sure if you put a geared leg on Dominic's Hull it brings is to close in.... his hull was designed for a flexishaft outboard which generally have the prop further away from the transom.

has anyone bought a MHz outboard yet? They look a nice bit of kit for the money.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:41 AM
jpelezo

saw a arrow shark outboard drive run this past weekend, ran very well had issue with swivel pin coming loose other than that no pro0blems.

I am running ypc new outboard drive and I like it very well

thanks,

jim pelezo

Odessa,tx