Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Altitude

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 12:03 AM
The Ghost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Altitude

Hi All, If you had a boat tuned at sea level and travelled to a site at 1000ft, would this change the engine tune and what way? My guess is it would run rich. I will be travelling to a meeting next month and would like to know what I may have to do.

Cheers
Old 09-20-2013, 01:12 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

It would run rich due to a thinner air density at the higher elevation. This is where a flow meter comes in handy. It will let you set the needle so that the engine "thinks" the air is the same. Just an FYI, AIR TEMPERATURE does the same thing as density. Warmer air NORMALLY ACTS thinner than colder air, requiring a leaner setting than the colder air would at the same location. This effect is much more pronounced in a nitro powered boat than in a gas so only going up 1000ft may make resetting the carb unneccesary

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 09-20-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:46 AM
The Ghost

Thanks for the reply, I am running gas boats, should have said so. Its just a get together and did not really want to adj the carbys if I did not have to as it took a while to get the pipe and carbys set, as I run at sea level.

Cheers
Old 09-20-2013, 04:17 PM
hendocap

1000 ft not so bad, I would prop down before start messing with the needles or pipe.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:02 PM
BMAD01

A thousand feet??? That's merely a hill! You will only need to lean down a wee bit if that. Maybe a smaller prop. I run at 5120ft. The air is a lot thinner up here. Carb settings are pretty much the same as down there, just a bit leaner. Because the air is thinner, the motors don't make the power they do at sea level. Smaller props are needed up here also. A thousand feet! HA!! Brian
Old 09-20-2013, 09:46 PM
The Ghost

Originally Posted by BMAD01
A thousand feet??? That's merely a hill! You will only need to lean down a wee bit if that. Maybe a smaller prop. I run at 5120ft. The air is a lot thinner up here. Carb settings are pretty much the same as down there, just a bit leaner. Because the air is thinner, the motors don't make the power they do at sea level. Smaller props are needed up here also. A thousand feet! HA!! Brian
Its only a social get together over the weekend, an 8hr drive away, If the engines still run OK I wont change anything and just put up with it, as I run at sea level I wanted to make shore that I would not have any major problems.

Cheers
Old 09-20-2013, 10:19 PM
jvdd

Andrew

I've bought boats from both Sydney and Brisbane and they didn't need any playing with.
I just run half a tank then I check plug color and that's about it for me in Canberra.

jim

ps are you going up on Friday, I'm planning on going up early Saturday as I'm working in Sydney that week
so I won't get home until late Friday night.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:39 PM
The Ghost

Originally Posted by jvdd
Andrew

I've bought boats from both Sydney and Brisbane and they didn't need any playing with.
I just run half a tank then I check plug color and that's about it for me in Canberra.

jim

ps are you going up on Friday, I'm planning on going up early Saturday as I'm working in Sydney that week
so I won't get home until late Friday night.
That's good to know, I am going up on Thursday, that will give me Friday to get over the trip, I will see you there.

Cheers
Old 09-21-2013, 03:34 PM
mickieb49

is this up at temora guys?
Old 09-21-2013, 05:48 PM
The Ghost

Hi Mick,
Yes it is at Temora next month.
Cheers
Old 09-23-2013, 04:07 PM
rcguy1411

1000 feet shouldent make much difference unless your right on the edge with tunning i run at two different spots and the difference is abouta 1000 ft find i need to make bigger changes due to temp than altitude
Old 09-23-2013, 09:52 PM
The Ghost

Originally Posted by rcguy1411
1000 feet shouldent make much difference unless your right on the edge with tunning i run at two different spots and the difference is abouta 1000 ft find i need to make bigger changes due to temp than altitude
Thanks for the info, The reason I asked is that there is a big difference with my gas aircraft with this change in altitude, almost 1/2 turn

Cheers