Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

70" CRC Outerlimits Build

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

70" CRC Outerlimits Build

Old 05-11-2014, 07:04 AM
bgalles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70" CRC Outerlimits Build

Hi all,

Long time lurker,first time poster. So Alex's recent build of the same 70" Outerlimits made me bit the bullet and get one! So, I have about a week and half or so until the hull gets here and I can start the build. Have everything I need minus the engine. I will be setting this up as single drive system ( may upgrade to dual in future). My question is, do I go with an inline twin Zen/RCMK or go for a Single 30CC Zen/RCMK? Please chime in and let me know everyone's thoughts. Also is GIZMO the best place to purchase either?

This will not be a boat I race it will be for fun. I Would like to hit the 50mph range.

Thanks!
-BG
Old 05-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Alexanderd

Bgalles the Outerlimits hull I my opinion the best looking hull scale wise you can't beat its looks
As for powering It you could go anyway you want if I was to get another Outerlimits hull I would use one of the 30.5 motors just to see how it would run with a single cyl motors there are vids of inline and twins on the internet but I haven't seen any single yet that being said if I didn't have another hull coming I would do just that still might just haven't seen any good looking 70 inch plus hulls on the market that I like
Old 05-11-2014, 03:48 PM
SS RC Boats

From what I have seen your best bet will be a single 30.5. With that said you wouldn't have to do any of the mods Alex and Steve (Pro Painter) have had to do for the hull to run better with the additional weight of a twin (side by side or inline). I have seen one run many times with a single and it is definitely in the 50mph range. I had to race against the boat 2 weeks ago at our club race and the boat runs very good without any mods done to bottom.

Alex you may want to come to our next race to see how Mike's 70" CRC Outerlimits with single Gizmo 29.5 hauls mail or you can even ask Gavin how good his boat runs.

Last edited by SS RC Boats; 05-11-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Alexanderd

Originally Posted by SS RC Boats View Post
From what I have seen your best bet will be a single 30.5. With that said you wouldn't have to do any of the mods Alex and Steve (Pro Painter) have had to do for the hull to run better with the additional weight of a twin (side by side or inline). I have seen one run many times with a single and it is definitely in the 50mph range. I had to race against the boat 2 weeks ago at our club race and the boat runs very good without any mods done to bottom.

Alex you may want to come to our next race to see how Mike's 70" CRC Outerlimits with single Gizmo 29.5 hauls mail or you can even ask Gavin how good his boat runs.
Any Vids of Mikes boat Damon
Old 05-11-2014, 06:20 PM
bgalles

Yeah, so I'm going to go with a single 30.5cc Zen from Gizmotor. Any suggestions on a pipe.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:02 AM
SS RC Boats

Originally Posted by Alexanderd View Post
Any Vids of Mikes boat Damon
You will find a few of them on YouTube from last season. But he hasn't downloaded the one from our first race yet,which shows a big improvement from last season. He has been doing his homework. You can see some footage on Fresh TV from our first race though. Check Gavin and he can give you times that they air our first race day footage.

Originally Posted by bgalles View Post
Yeah, so I'm going to go with a single 30.5cc Zen from Gizmotor. Any suggestions on a pipe.
My personal choice is QD hot pipe. CC Racing Beast pipe is one I am going to try next since I hear nothing but good about them.

Last edited by SS RC Boats; 05-12-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:50 AM
KAF

Good day to all, I have a question. Do you think I will have to do bottom mods if I have a single modded 30cc from Gizmo's or a Tiger King motor with Bonzi Sports clutch. I want it to be a play boat that I can run along side a speed boat out to sea, also I would like to be able to swap out to a stock 26 to teach my wife how to run it. She has experience with electric boats and would love to get into gas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks Ken.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:08 AM
SS RC Boats

Hi KAF a single modded motor will work fine. My only advice is keep CG back a little further than normal due to the boat having a hook in the bottom as opposed to a rocker like how the GTX bottoms are. I showed Alex the hook in the bottom of his boat and explained to him how the GTX bottom (which Outerlimits is designed from) has a rocker to allow boat to lift more. That is also something Rick and I talked about when he was first doing the Outerlimits hull. I'm sure s stock motor will work too but may not have power to lift hull the way it needs to be in order to run at its best. But again YES I have raced against a Outerlimits hull with a Gizmo29 and it runs very good considering no mods were made to bottom. I will check Mike and see if he can post some footage for eveyone to see how good they run with a good set-up single.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:20 AM
KAF

Thanks SS RC Boats. I greatly appreciate your advance. I actually been pm ing and Mike last year on Jim RC Boat Dock, as will as watching the BOMBA races and really love how it runs. I just wasn't sure how it would run with the added weight of the Bonzi clutch. Thanks again, Ken.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:29 AM
SS RC Boats

Originally Posted by KAF View Post
Thanks SS RC Boats. I greatly appreciate your advance. I actually been pm ing and Mike last year on Jim RC Boat Dock, as will as watching the BOMBA races and really love how it runs. I just wasn't sure how it would run with the added weight of the Bonzi clutch. Thanks again, Ken.
You should be fine with the clutch since it isn't that much more weight. I must admit Mike has his boat running faster than it was last season….he has been definitely doing his homework during the off season. He also has been working with CG and props to get his set-up better. Im pretty sure he did mention that he move the motor back further than the original placement,i can check for you if you can't get in touch with him since Jim's is down or i can PM you his email address.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:48 AM
KAF

Sure, I would greatly appreciate finding out that info. from Mike for me. I really love the look of Rick's SV40 and I'm glad to be getting good help with it. Thanks again, Ken.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:00 AM
bgalles

Thanks for all the great advice! Not having the hull yet - should I order straight 90 out of the engine or should I do 2" 90?
Old 05-12-2014, 07:41 AM
SS RC Boats

Go with a 2" 90* that way you will be clear of radio box.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:27 PM
bgalles

Everything is on its way. Went with the Gizmotor Zen 30cc mod motor. Now just waiting for it all to arrive and then let the build begin.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:04 AM
bgalles

One more question....What prop do you all recommend with this motor (Zen GZR 30cc) setup and hull?

Thank again for all your help! I've been out of boats playing with planes far too long!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:31 AM
SS RC Boats

That will really depend on your setup. Sometimes you can have 2 of the same boats with same setup that will require 2 different size props. I'm not sure of the power of that motor but a good starting point will be an ABC2814/3 and see how motor likes it.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:34 AM
bgalles

Thanks SS RC! When I spoke with GIZMOTOR they said that motor will pump out 8.25 - 8.5hp and they've seen RPM up to 22k
Old 05-13-2014, 06:43 AM
SS RC Boats

Honestly I will have to see that to believe it knowing that that's why my QD Pioneer motors push out and the engine design is so much better than a Zen. Transfer ports are even much bigger in my QD's. It's been plenty times people claim big HP #'s that are not true. But yeah start with the 2814/3.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:49 AM
SS RC Boats

Not only do the QD's have bigger ports all around...they also have longer stroke cranks and bigger carbs to allow more fuel.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:58 AM
bgalles

I guess I'll find out when it gets here. I just want to run fast and be fun to play with. SS RC you have been a wealth of knowledge! thanks!

Last edited by bgalles; 05-13-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:23 AM
SS RC Boats

Not a problem mate. Don't get me wrong you will still have fun and be able to run in the 50mph range that you would like to,i would say mid to upper 50's with a good setup. The motor will run strong I just don't see it producing over 8hp...I would truthfully say more in the 7hp range which is still good enough to get the speeds you want to achieve. Happy boating��
Old 05-16-2014, 06:10 PM
bgalles

Woohoo all my gear came in! All I need now is a set of hatch locks. What's a good set that hides? Everything I see is ugly.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:59 PM
Alexanderd

These hatch latches on my CT04 are from MHZ
Or you can use rare Earth magnets
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	1995891   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	1995892  
Old 05-16-2014, 07:49 PM
bgalles

Thanks Alex, I saw those on their site. They are an option, I'm thinking I may go the magnetic route. That's how I do all my planes. But I do like the idea of a lock on boat in the event of a flip. Don't want the hatch to pull free.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:36 PM
martno1fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The magnets are best way to go,with locks in a high speed flip the hatch WILL most likely come off breaking away at the fixing points,with magnets this cant happen,just make sure your hatch has floatation.
Mart

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.