Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Insane gen2 sport hydro

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Insane gen2 sport hydro

Old 10-16-2016, 06:47 PM
morgan225

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insane gen2 sport hydro

Thinking about getting a insane sport hydro gen 2 , if set up right how good can I get it to run, are they still a good hull ? Thanks for info
Old 10-17-2016, 07:03 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought one this past summer. I built it the way that Insane said to and had nothing but problems with it. I also followed Marc Levac's build article on Model Gas Boats and didn't help at all either. It took 40 acres to turn that thing around with the rudder on the left side so now it's on the right. Also, no weight in the left front sponson.
Getting the motor angle correct was the biggest hassle and there are a few on that boat or almost any other Gas Sport Hydro. Fortunately I had enough carbon fiber tubing to reinforce the 4-40 steering linkage.
The header was a real joy also. I had to buy one from China that swivels from 80-100 degrees to fit properly out the rear opening. It's not the one in the shot but a Chinese Wrap-To-Center pipe that I used until the header showed up.
It's about to be torn down again for paint over the winter.
If you're looking at a new GSH, I'd go with a Blazer Backlash, cheaper and probably better for the money. I got this one new at half of what Insane wants.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	insanegsh2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	2186329   Click image for larger version

Name:	insanegsh1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	2186330  
Old 10-20-2016, 11:44 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

And that, in a nutshell, is why I prefer to build my boats from wood. No need to have to buy custom parts to make something fit that way
Old 10-21-2016, 01:24 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It's not any harder or easier than a wood kit as it seems like no matter what you get you might have to fabricate some parts but just about everything need is off-the-shelf.
I built my Rampage following Marc's instructions and it turned out great so that's why I tried to use his on my Gen II. Insane's weren't any better, actually worse as I used theirs on my F-41 and they were a mile off. Sometimes you have to go with your gut feelings that something isn't right.