Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Don’t know what this is

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Don’t know what this is

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 08:10 AM
Seanthemechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don’t know what this is

Hey guys! I’ve owned a few gas boats over the years and looking to get another one to play around with in our getaway lake. I found this boat local and for a pretty good deal it seems at $200. Can you guys give me some info on what it is and what motor this is? Thank you!

-Sean
Old 08-20-2018, 06:00 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the hull is around 54" long it looks like a Dumas Scarab 38 KV. The engine may be a Homelite,either 25cc or 30cc.Looks simular to one I had.Mine didn't have an arch on it. It broke.Do you have any idea of the manufacturer of the outdrive ? It may be worth more than the boat.

Last edited by Tidnab; 08-20-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:37 AM
Tidnab

I see you have a stick radio under the boat. If it isn't one made for surface (75 mhz or 2.4ghz ) put it away and get a pistol radio.The old AM radios are not desirable for use these days.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:17 AM
Seanthemechanic

Man it does look very similar to the scarab. I’m supposed to go pick this thing up today and I’ll measure it. I love that outdrive. I’ll see if I can find the manufacturer on it. Also yes I don’t want the old am stuff haha. Going to throw a pistol grip 2.4 in her! I’ll keep you guys posted! Thank you for your help so far
Old 08-21-2018, 01:49 PM
Seanthemechanic

Old 08-21-2018, 01:51 PM
Seanthemechanic

Old 08-21-2018, 01:54 PM
Seanthemechanic

Picked her up! It is a Dumas scarab. The guy gave me paperwork and all. Looks like a solid buy for 200 bucks! Going to upgrade the servos, put a 2.4 radio in it and see what she does! Going to give it a pool float test first to find any leaks if there are any haha! What do you guys think? Oh and not the best in the world but a Mitsubishi motor which is Japanese built! Should be reliable. Future things will be trim tabs and a paint job! Wish I had a hatch for it though
Old 08-21-2018, 03:10 PM
Tidnab

Originally Posted by Seanthemechanic
Picked her up! It is a Dumas scarab. The guy gave me paperwork and all. Looks like a solid buy for 200 bucks! Going to upgrade the servos, put a 2.4 radio in it and see what she does! Going to give it a pool float test first to find any leaks if there are any haha! What do you guys think? Oh and not the best in the world but a Mitsubishi motor which is Japanese built! Should be reliable. Future things will be trim tabs and a paint job! Wish I had a hatch for it though
A hatch would be hard to find,but Warehouse Hobbies used to have a hatch mold for the Scarab.Warehouse is https://enforcerrcboats.com/index.php?route=common/home and is owned by Bonzi Sports https://www.bonzisports.com/
Give them a call or email and see if they still have the hatch mold. I believe it was made so you wouldn't have to cut a hole in the hatch floor to use a gas engine. Here's a pic of the original hatch on the one I sold.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:35 PM
Tidnab

Someday when you're ready to upgrade it and do some real work,here's a build thread on one on Jim's r/c boat dock. Jim's R/C Boat Dock
Old 08-27-2018, 10:31 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidnab
Someday when you're ready to upgrade it and do some real work,here's a build thread on one on Jim's r/c boat dock. Jim's R/C Boat Dock
The only problem with that link is it won't get you into the site unless you're a member
Old 08-27-2018, 10:56 AM
Tidnab

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
The only problem with that link is it won't get you into the site unless you're a member
It's free to join and they have a good sales or wanted section,plus other sections that may be useful in building gassers or just wanting advice.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:17 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I understand that, but you have to remember that some don't want to join a forum just to see a picture. When you consider that I already belong to two forums, why should I be forced to join a third?
Old 08-28-2018, 04:50 AM
Tidnab

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I understand that, but you have to remember that some don't want to join a forum just to see a picture. When you consider that I already belong to two forums, why should I be forced to join a third?
I belong to nine r/c boating sites and several r/c airplane sites. Several are electric and nitro,but also offer a place to post about gas power.I was never forced to join any of them and each has given me info that I needed and with great pictures. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.The link I provided to Jims is not just pics ,it is a build thread to show how to improve the Dumas Scarab 38 KV and push it to it's limits. Another valuable site is Model Gas Boats www.modelgasboats.com which has how to articles and tech on just about anything boat related.Some sites you can get on without registering,but you can't post or ask questions and basicly you're just a lurker.I'm 70 yrs old and like pictures. I can understand written words better if there's pictures with them.