Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Hand Held electric starter

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Hand Held electric starter

Old 07-31-2020, 01:04 PM
Air_Cav_Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand Held electric starter

I just bought a Pro Boat 48" RockStar RTR and the recoil starter is a plastic hunk of junk! The guy I bought it from also gave me one of those hand held electric starters and a few pulleys. I rigged it up to a motorcycle battery and promptly fried the wires! SO, I need some guidance on either 1) a better pull starter or 2) whats the proper way to set up the hand held electric start? There are no specs on the motor but I'm assuming the mc battery is a bit hot?

Thanks for any advice or help!

Dave

Old 08-02-2020, 07:01 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Buy a good one like a Sullivan Model 4 or Dynatron as both can run off 24-volts and crank it over easily.
A Zenoah Easy-Start pull-starter is a lot better than the stock one. Even an old guy like me with bad shoulders can use one with no sweat.
The following users liked this post:
Sass78 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 06:04 AM
Sass78

Hi,

I am like Dave and I also bought a Proboat Rockstar 48 inch gas boat and I had the same problems. I have been running it for the last two months and everytime it was really hard to start and the last time i broke the pull starter. I was looking at the electric pull starter but I couldn't find where to put the belt to start the engine ...I unscrewed the broken pull starter but I didn't see where I could put the belt.

But I look up the starters that Ron recommended and it looks like they don't work with belts ...am I right ?

I like the Rockstar but I think I will buy something else because it has a lot of problems, especially cooling problems (and I already did what the other users recommended like drilling a bigger hole in the rudder and enlarging the hole in the hull for better cooling but I already fried the carb gaskets etc...). I was looking at other RC gas boat brands on the internet and I found Dragon Hobby but it looks like that they do rc boats anymore.
If you could give me any advice for a future gas rc boat ...
Thanks a lot,
Sassan
Old 08-24-2020, 08:26 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You can get pulleys for either end of the engine. I tried one on the back replacing the pull-starter but it kept popping off slapping me hard on the wrist. You start trying to invent new swear words after a few times. There are some that also combine the flex cable collet with the pulley which might be a better way to go. https://zippkits.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=225

Last edited by Ron Olson; 08-24-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:55 AM
Sass78

Thank you Ron