Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

1/6 gas unlimited hydro questions.

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

1/6 gas unlimited hydro questions.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:58 PM
Gasngo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/6 gas unlimited hydro questions.

Hi
My name us Mark and I'm starting my first r/c boat build from a laser cut kit. Its a1/6 scale model of an unlimited hydro ( piston powered) . I realize that this is probably not the correct first boat to build but I have over 30 years in the r/c hobby building and tuning ( 40% planes, 1/5 scale vehicles ect). Im trying to gather whatever knowledge you all have. I have a few questions to start. Whats the preferred mod motor for a fast boat? Is a clutch worth the extra weight? How about electric or pull start? More than likely, this boat will never race but I would like to make this a fast, good handling boat. I'm sure I'll be asking many more questions in the near future. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:58 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can try www.gizmomotors.com for modded motors in 26 or 29.5 cc's.
Forget the clutch, it's just more weight for a boat that's going to be heavy as it is unless you're running alone then you might want it for starting while it's floating.
Get an Easy-Start from Zenoah, Gizmo has those also and make starting an Zenoah a LOT easier.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:38 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Let me change tacks here(just love using sailing lingo in a non-sail thread) for a bit. You say you're building a scale hydro, so which hull are you building? The reason I ask is some boats are easier to install a gas drive than others. I learned that when I started working on a gas scale 1973 Pay'N Pak. To make it look scale, I found the only motor that would fit is a $1200 CMB 27 and that, even with a belly pan, the spark plug would still be sticking up through the dummy engine or the cowling. This meant that I had to change over to the 1978 Madison. This is the same boat but has a twin turbo Allison. The benefit to the having the Allison is that it has an intake system that will hide the spark plug as it's much taller than what is used on the Merlin the boat used when running at the Pak or the Atlas(in 1976). You also need to figure out where you will run the tuned pipe so that it's not enclosed or it can overheat and that can cause a multitude of issues. Access to your fuel and radio systems are also something that you have to work out
Old 03-01-2021, 07:41 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Gasngo, do you have any updates for us? I'd love to see how far you've gotten on your boat