Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Zelos 48" gas boat run away

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Zelos 48" gas boat run away

Old 10-20-2021, 08:06 PM
snake07

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Zelos 48" gas boat run away

Hi all,

I'm not sure if anyone experiencing a run away boat, full throttle ? the experience was terrible, I think I was lucky, didn't hit anyone.
It's the Zelos 48" gas boat and I had it for about a month, bought it used, got the engine stalled a couple times in the middle of the lake, sank 2 weeks ago, got it up, cleaned up, compressed air blow the receiver, all the connectors, got water out of the carb......then got it back up running again.

I ran the boat again today and all the sudden the engine went full throttle, can't stop, I steered in a circle a couple times and no way to stop it, I ran it through the mash in order for it to stop, I shutdown the engine and picked it up, found the throttle servo engaged all the way, I turned off power to the receiver then it returned to neutral position, narrowed it down to the throttle servo malfunction.

I don't think Proboat designed the servo fully waterproof, I'm looking for a better replacement servo for throttle, is there any recommendation ? I'm also planning to install remote engine kill switch I can kill the engine from the remote.

Old 10-21-2021, 03:41 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

I've had and seen something similar with the boats. It is very possible the receiver or the servo could be bad due to being water soaked. Is the radio gear in a water resistant box or just out in the open hull? What we normally do is, like you, go hard right rudder and let it run out of fuel. With a scale hydroplane, it will burn through a 20 ounce tank in a few minutes so it's not a real big deal. A gas boat, with it's lower fuel consumption, would take considerably longer.
In the case of your boat, I would replace all of the in boat radio gear, just to play it safe. If the radio gear isn't in a water resistant box of some sort, I would either build or buy one as radio gear, regardless of whether it's claimed to be water proof or not. My boat has water resistant servos and they are mounted inside a sealed box, along with the battery pack and receiver. This is due to the fact that electricity and water don't mix
Old 10-21-2021, 07:16 PM
snake07

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
I've had and seen something similar with the boats. It is very possible the receiver or the servo could be bad due to being water soaked. Is the radio gear in a water resistant box or just out in the open hull? What we normally do is, like you, go hard right rudder and let it run out of fuel. With a scale hydroplane, it will burn through a 20 ounce tank in a few minutes so it's not a real big deal. A gas boat, with it's lower fuel consumption, would take considerably longer.
In the case of your boat, I would replace all of the in boat radio gear, just to play it safe. If the radio gear isn't in a water resistant box of some sort, I would either build or buy one as radio gear, regardless of whether it's claimed to be water proof or not. My boat has water resistant servos and they are mounted inside a sealed box, along with the battery pack and receiver. This is due to the fact that electricity and water don't mix
Thank you for your suggestion, a sealed box for all the electronics I've never thought of, the Zelos 48" gas boat from Proboat has a box for battery and receiver but it's not sealed, both servos for throttle and steering are in the open hull.
After this incident, I agreed I need to replace all the electronics to be safe.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:08 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

When I first started in this hobby(1982), there was no such thing as water resistant(nothing is water PROOF) servos. My first two boats(both hydroplane kits made by Dumas Products) had a (so called water resistant)radio box integrated into the design. Rookie me screwed it up by not making sure the gaps were all filled so, one of my first runs, the radio box got partially filled and I had the radio die due to shorting out the batteries(standard AA Duracells). I was able to save the radio gear by cleaning it all with isopropyl alcohol but, even then, there was always a glitch in the system. My present boat has been upside down several times and, through all of that, has never had an issue with the radio due to the water resistant radio box

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 10-21-2021 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:11 AM
snake07

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
When I first started in this hobby(1982), there was no such thing as water resistant(nothing is water PROOF) servos. My first two boats(both hydroplane kits made by Dumas Products) had a (so called water resistant)radio box integrated into the design. Rookie me screwed it up by not making sure the gaps were all filled so, one of my first runs, the radio box got partially filled and I had the radio die due to shorting out the batteries(standard AA Duracells). I was able to save the radio gear by cleaning it all with isopropyl alcohol but, even then, there was always a glitch in the system. My present boat has been upside down several times and, through all of that, has never had an issue with the radio due to the water resistant radio box
Wow, started 1982 so almost 40 yrs anniversary for RC boat, congrats ! for sure rookie like myself there're long way to go and I've learned a lot in the last month, pretty much survival skills in the RC world.
I tasked myself to build a new sealed control box for the boat with all new electronics, new Tx/Rx, additional channels for a remote kill switch this coming winter, I'm in the midwest so it's getting cold and I called it a season for me, will work on the boat and ready for next spring.