Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Wet pipes?

Old 11-07-2021, 04:02 PM
CptnCR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet pipes?

What is a wet pipe compared to a tuned pipe?
Old 11-14-2021, 10:33 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

They are both tuned pipes. The difference is in that the early wet pipes like from Warehouse Hobbies ran water from the cooling jacket to a pipe out through the exhaust. Now, some now called wet pipes run water around the base of the pipe to cool that section and have Teflon O-rings in them. You don't see them used much anymore as the "Hot" pipes have pretty much taken over.
The following users liked this post:
CptnCR (11-16-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 01:18 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

By cooling the pipe, in theory, it cools the exhaust in the pipe and that reduces the pressure in the pipe. This, in turn, reduces the back pressure available to push unburned fuel back into the engine cylinder, reducing the power produced by the engine. This can be compensated for by changing the pipe length, IIRC, but why mess with it and make things more complicated than they need to be?
The following 2 users liked this post by Hydro Junkie:
AMXer (02-13-2022), CptnCR (11-16-2021)
Old 02-13-2022, 06:34 PM
AMXer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seeing all the different builds over the last few months has my head spinning. One thing is for sure, I am very lucky to have found the Zipp kits and have always wanted to build a RC shovel-nose hydroplane.
I started about 2 months ago and you all have been instrumental in helping me throughout the build. The engine and exhaust are going to be a Stock 260 Z and matching Zipp Pipe.