Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Boat out of water

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Boat out of water

Old 02-01-2022, 06:34 AM
geoarg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat out of water

Hi boys, can i run my boat on land if i dip the rudders in a bucket of water? it'll be run in salt water, so i want to clean her out good
thx,
geo
Old 02-01-2022, 08:50 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

It's more than just the rudders being dipped in fresh after running in salt. Salt water will corrode aluminum very quickly so you need to do a thorough cleaning of all hardware after running for the day. This would include the rudders, exposed linkages, drive shafts and related hardware, engine cooling jackets and mounts, etc.
Some use LPS(a light oil) or WD-40 for post run protection while others have used Corrosion X. There are several ways to protect your boat's hardware, just depends on what the hardware is made from
Old 02-01-2022, 03:43 PM
dwr9

Do you have a water pump in the boat? If not putting the rudder in a bucket of water won't do anything. Doug
Old 02-01-2022, 04:18 PM
geoarg

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
It's more than just the rudders being dipped in fresh after running in salt. Salt water will corrode aluminum very quickly so you need to do a thorough cleaning of all hardware after running for the day. This would include the rudders, exposed linkages, drive shafts and related hardware, engine cooling jackets and mounts, etc.
Some use LPS(a light oil) or WD-40 for post run protection while others have used Corrosion X. There are several ways to protect your boat's hardware, just depends on what the hardware is made from
Thanks, I realize all the other cleaning just wanted to know if that's something i could do as apposed to blowing water thu
Old 02-01-2022, 04:20 PM
geoarg

yes i have pumps