Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Big gas 4 cycle

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Big gas 4 cycle

Old 02-05-2004, 03:39 PM
fordman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big gas 4 cycle

Hey guys/girls first time trying this be patient please.I'm almost done with my current project 60" 25cc gas deep vee custom made wood hull, made all hardware ect. will post pics when figure out how!? Looking for info on next project,unsure of hull yet, deep vee or cat? But I was wondering if anyone had info on a afforable source of small 4 cycle gas engines? 25 to 31cc? Want to use single engine with dual geared drives,take advantage of the torque! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PS; anyone here in connecticut,northwest into boats?I can't find anyone in this area that shares this interest?
Old 02-05-2004, 07:54 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

Default RE: Big gas 4 cycle

the honda 31cc ohv 4 stroke is a great bargain at about $225. you could run a toothed gilmer belt with idler tensioners. a simple two plate design over drive is very feasible just keep the revs under 10,000. and hull suggestion would ba a big deep vee hull like a 60" Cigarette.
you wouldnt have a speed demon but more like a very scale 30 mph.
good luck
Old 02-05-2004, 07:58 PM
magyarbacsi

I have not seen dual out put from single power source in gas. I have seen on the web, I think a 38 cc Kawasaki with a gear up set up where 1200 rpm was almost doubled. But it wa a 2 cycle not 4. Sounds like an interesting project. What speed do you get with the curent 60" hull and what 25cc motor you are using?
Old 02-05-2004, 08:06 PM
fordman

Well thanks for input guys! I'm kinda paticular of deep vee's anyway. As far as the drive system i have a machine shop w/c.n.c equipment at my disposal (old man owns it) looking for ideas. Like the belt drive idea,didn't think of that.But what about counter rotation? As far as my other project goes,I just finished it(well without testing) the water is too hard in ct right now! by the way it's a mod 25cc homelight.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:18 PM
fordman

Do you have any idea where to buy the honda?just the engine?30-40 mph fast enough for me! As long it gets up on step i'll be happy.Any other sources for 4 strokes you know of? By the way I am in the us! screwed up form gotta try to fix that
Old 02-06-2004, 07:54 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

dont bother with counter rotating props prop selection is limited and findind counter wound flex shaft is a pain at best. run the warehouse hobbies twin rudder setup. just go to tha local honda dealer and ask him ....honda now has an over head cam engine
Old 02-06-2004, 02:53 PM
fordman

Hey fastrat,found the engine! www.tulsawarehouse or something like that.$199.95 free shipping! no clutch bell though i'll work around that, it's a gx31 mini 4 stroke 1.5 hp OHC!! Little concerned about weight 10lbs? (shipping weight). Now that engines taken care of anyone have a 50-60" glass deepvee hull they wanna get rid of? Pockets are getting a little shallow for a new one! Unfinished projects?crashed?gave up on? will look at anything! Gonna order engine soon, need hull to start on double drive design. One more qustion? my other project,60" shallow vee with 25cc weedy motor w/pipe, carb,waterjacket,clutch, I bought a prather 270 bronze alloy prop to start with? good choice? Thanks again for your help!
Matt
Old 02-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Aaronie

Hello fordman! I live in Plainville, CT, about 20 minutes from Plymouth. I'm curious what lake(s) you run your boat(s) at.

AARON
Old 02-07-2004, 12:19 AM
ibuildstuff

got any pictures of your project fordman? Im curious to see what ya got goin

Jesse
Old 02-07-2004, 03:58 AM
fordman

Hey whats up? ibuildstuff?<hope I got that right,Unfortunatly I don't have a digital camera pockets are shallow these days, but i'm gonna try to borrow one, wanna show off my pride and joy(lol) Hey its my first attempt at designing and building my own hull .When I get the pics up I would really like your input! can use all the help I can get! I know full size boats,...... well this has turned out to be a bit different.

Thanks Matt
Old 02-27-2004, 05:08 PM
Aaronie

Hey Matt! You have two new e-mails!

AARON