Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 Lets say you Boat flips over, and the only >

Lets say you Boat flips over, and the only

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Lets say you Boat flips over, and the only

Old 02-16-2004, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets say you Boat flips over, and the only

thing above the water is the bow of the boat, for about 15 minutes.

When you finaly recover your boat, what do you do step by step....

You answers would be ohhhhh so helpfull.

P.s. not that it happened to me but this is what i would do....take out all electrics take apart and dry....leave apart overnight. then empty out fuel from tank, then remove spark plug, then turn upside down and get water out....while upside down pull the pull starter many times.....press the prime bulb upsidedown and pull starter........refil tank, place sparkplug on loose, and start...let run 1 minute......take out plug clean and replace loose and start again for 1 minute....take out and clean...place plug normal and let run for 10-14 min on idle........clean hull inside and out with simple green.....lube entire engine with spray lube wd-40 type..... remove prob and flex cable dry and re-grease.....pump some grease into the nose

did i forget something..... please help...i dont want longenvity to be affected because of accident...
Old 02-16-2004, 02:04 PM

Default RE: Lets say you Boat flips over, and the only

well, if its built right, you shouldnt have to do all of that... your radio box shouldnt leak, and your fuel tank shouldnt allow water into it.. pull plug, turn upside down, pull a few times to evac water, adjust strut (usually the reason it blew over in the first place) wipe water off of plug, re install, pull till starts, throw in water, have fun. you shoudl never run a motor out of the water for 10-14 minutes (if watercooled) thatll end your day for sure.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:34 PM

what is the strut......sorry if this is a stupid question, but i am a newb.....by the way it is air cooled (super-g)
Old 02-16-2004, 05:39 PM

The strut is the drive of the boat. It's the part that bolts to the transom and the prop comes out of.

What happends if you are at a race and your boat flips over? You can't let the electronics dry over night. But it also isn't good to run your boat with glitchy electronics, if there is water in them. Ibuildstuff had a good point, your radio box and gas tank should be water tight - and you won't have any problems.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:15 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Haven't seen a radio box that is waterproofed ( defined as NO water leakage/sepage AT ALL ) for 15 minutes under water yet ... ( which is probably why I no longer use them and go with open servo's soaked with CORROSION X ( which works for me ... [8D] , not that any of my boats have ever been submerged for 15 minutes .. , but the Rx and servos DO get wet ( on the outside that is ) . ( Oh ... and I also do NOT race ... just a FUN boater here . [8D] )
You can also run the engine out of the water since its air-cooled , just make sure the flex is removed . Otherwise , it could be hell on your liner and strut bearings/bushings.
And also , you might want to make sure that you have a bit more floatation in her if the only thing above the water is the bow . Try some pool noodles on the outside section of the rails all the way to the transom ( as long as you have the room )
Old 02-18-2004, 12:24 AM

Pure clean water does not condusct electricity. The polutants, no matter how miniscule, is what causes water to short thing out or give you a shock. Water we play in is anything but pure. This method was told to me by my father-in-law, a retired Boeing engineer. Take apart all that you can, rinse with distilled water then soak in alcohol. Not the same kind we drink. Let it soak for several hours then blow dry with compressor and let dry for a day.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:42 AM

All water conducts electricity as for it all has carbon. Ask weather or not electricity travels from positive to negative or visa versa .
Old 02-21-2004, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh no a water fight (LOL) Mag is correct and Safe would be also, if he would have stated "All, except for pure". Bottom line keep the radio system dry. Less than a drop of water inside of the Rx or a servo can cost you a boat. Something else to watch for, its early in the morning, you are out running your boat, the box is tape off and sealed. As the day warms up, if you do not open your box, the moister from earler that was in the air, will form water droplets in the radio box.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:36 AM
My Feedback: (2)

here in Hawaii we don't have fresh water to run our boats....only the ocean so its all about salt water.....but after were done..its all about the cleanup and disassembly for the cleanup to be good....gotta get rid of that salt water.......