Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Zenoah 2

Old 02-22-2004, 04:35 PM
gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah 2

Hi sorry guys another stupid question what size ID tube would you recommend for water cooling the zenoah running with aeromarine hardware and boat? pref in mm? thanks again people[X(]
Old 02-22-2004, 04:52 PM
ibuildstuff

Default RE: Zenoah 2

1/8inch ID is suffciantly enough to cool it, stick a hose on the barb and goto town..
Old 02-23-2004, 05:52 AM
bill heacock

If you have a water cooled exhaust header, we run two water lines independent of each other one for the head one for the header, rather than one line to head then exhaust then out. Much better cooling. Can also run bigger head water jacket., Aeromarine makes a good one, couple of us guys use it, still use two lines. John runs G230 mod Pun, I run G 260 mod Pun, works great for us. By the way, nothing in boating is a stupid question, that's how we learn, never be afraid to ask. [8D]

Bill Heacock
Old 02-23-2004, 09:00 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Without sounding like I am contradicting anyone , keep in mind ....
Any engine runs optimum when up to running temp . TOO much water cooling will not allow the motor to possibly reach this temp .
Although , I know that there a LOT of more experienced guys here , I will tell you what I do and this is just my experience ... ( and please note , I do not race . I am a PLAY BOATER 100 per cent and will stay that way ! )
I run my water line first to the exhaust header , THEN up to the water jacket for the jug . Have not overheated , or got too hot . Runs good and strong on all 3 of my modded 230PUMS .
AND there is a plus to this also ... Saves a LOT on my Vinton's .... Oh yeah ... also haven't had a QD break or crack yet ...
Old 02-26-2004, 08:05 AM
bill heacock

Gazer,

The following is from tech notes in rc boat:

There must be at least an amount of water run thru the engine to equal the incresing amount of heat generated by the work the engine is doing.
First set the mixture control so it is perfect on the straightaway. If the engine picks up speed in the turns, this indicates it is getting hotter and becoming lean in the turns. Too much cooling. When the boat straightens out for the straightaway and the load decreases, the engine cools off and it goes rich. You have to keep the needle rich enough not to "sag" the engine on the turns and it will bve too rich in the straightaway. If you restrict the cooling, and richen the needle a little, it will run thru the turns hard, and will run the same lean/rich setting on the SAW. Keep changing the water flow untill you get consistent running on the course. It is most important to keep the needle rich enough to run through the turns hard and come out of the turns hard.

Hope this helps.

Bill Heacock
Old 02-26-2004, 04:01 PM
tsunami

does anyt one make a valve that you can set to chage the flow
example more cooling when the trottle is on or even off of a temp senser
Old 02-26-2004, 05:17 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Not that I know of , but a "cheap" , and possibly , easy way would be to use a solenoid hooked to a temperature diode ( like the ones in household coffee brewers .. perfect temp too . )
They come in a variaty of temps and can be done using your existing battery pack .
Old 02-26-2004, 10:02 PM
tsunami

hmmm.....never thought of that.....but what type of parts besides the coffee brewer would i need, and a possible layout.
sorry if im getting into areas uknown but if you got an idea it would help sport runners tremendously
thanx
Old 02-27-2004, 09:30 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

usually when the engine picks up rpm in the turn its cuz the prop is ventilating and not because its leaning out. adding a bunch of gee gaws and stuff to your boat only complicates things and in my opinion isnt needed. run a standard silicon 1/8" line to the engine or two to include the exhaust manifold. after a run my engines come in hot to the touch which is just about right. on my test bench i use a suspended iv bag and i was surprised just how little flow it takes to cool these engines during extended run times.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:19 PM
gazer

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP IM JUST A PLAY BOATER AT MOMMENT AS THERE ARE NO CLUBS HERE AND AM LOOKING TO STARTING UP ONE SO I WILL THEN BE WANTING TOP PERFORMANCE....THANX AGAIN FOR YOUR INPUT.