Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

flex drives

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 08:23 PM
xplayer930

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flex drives

Do you need a liner in the brass stuffing tube for the flex drive??? Im not sure an im new to boats. Im asking this because i picked up a 45 inch boat at a garage sale for 20 bucks. Im alos not sure if i even wanna begin working on this boat becuase i dont wanna spend big bucks cuz i need a new snowboard. Does anybody know the cheapest way to get an out out wihtout haveing to buy a used one. I any one has any pictures or diagrams please send then to me I would be more than willing to fabricate the outdrive my self that would be no problem.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:44 PM
BajaBob-delete

Default RE: flex drives

If ya don't want to spend big bucks,boats are the wrong thing,because they are the worst money pit you could get into.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:14 PM
xplayer930

Wuts weird is that i can piss away 1,000 bucks on a plane but i cant spend a few bucks on a boat. I live on long island and i dont know any boat clubs that are around hear. An i dont wanna run in salt water. My last gas boat got eatin by the salt water. I f u no any body from the island ask them if there any clubs around.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:21 AM
ibuildstuff

your last gasboat got eaten by saltwater, because you didnt maintain it properly... i run in salt water, and my hardware, hull, and everything in it, looks as good as the day i installed it.... people saltwater is not bad, you just gotta go the extra step in cleaning, and prepping your boat for the next run.

Jesse
Old 02-26-2004, 08:40 PM
xplayer930

i maintaind my boat just fine i took it apart every time i ran it. The engine heat would heat the salt in the cooling head and clog the head , this made the engine ove rheat. And the engine was set just write and didnt over heat. I take ver good care of my toys.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:56 PM
PondSkimmer

where on the island do you live? i am in the mineola area, there is a club on the island with good guys too! drop me an email we can talk
Old 02-26-2004, 08:58 PM
PondSkimmer

sorry that was intended for xplayer930
Old 02-27-2004, 05:04 PM
xplayer930

Yea were is this club located. I havent bought a boat yet because i dumped maega pucks on a plane. But when i do get a boat i wanna get the dumas little rascal. It says it need a .10 engine, but can i put a .15 in it because the out drive can handle a .15. I f you wanna checl out the boat go to dumasproducts.com and then clickon boats, then click on specialty priced items and the boat should come up.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:01 PM
PondSkimmer

these guys race, and the smallest class is 21. with the boat that you are looking at and the size you would not be able to keep up but there are several ponds that you can fun run at!
they race in Hempstead lake park mostly (need a permit $15, and you must be a member of NAMBA) if you are going to run a boat getting a NAMBA membership is a good idea!
are you in nassau county?
even if you go just to watch a race on sunday it is a good time
check out http://www.namba-1.com/
Old 02-27-2004, 08:42 PM
xplayer930

thanks. But my question for you is that can i put a .15 instead of a .10 in that boat cuz i dont think that make a .10 marine engine.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:22 PM
PondSkimmer

i dont see why not, you might have to beef up the transom a bit and that should be that.
in your 1st post you said "i picked up a 45 inch boat at a garage sale for 20 bucks." , and then you mentioned "I havent bought a boat yet because i dumped maega pucks on a plane. But when i do get a boat i wanna get the dumas little rascal. "
so which one is it?
Old 02-29-2004, 07:16 PM
xplayer930

Well it does make sense because i gave the boat i got at the yard sale to a friend. That why i asked about the dumas boat.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:46 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Boats can be done for as cheap as you want , to as expensive as you want . Depends on what you are after . If its a club thing , then hope you have some moo-la . ( ya know they gots them RULES ya gotta follow - LOL ) If its fun , then you could always go with making an airboat , which does not require a lot of the higher dollar hardware that a water driven propped boat does . ( and you said you had planes , well , there you go , got the engines and props already , or you could use a weedeater motor also [8D] )
THere is a forum here on RCU for airboating also .
( you'd be amazed at how cheap you CAN get one RTR for the water .... AND you can even build them yourself ! )
Old 03-01-2004, 05:19 PM
xplayer930

thaks any way but i have alreay choosen a boat, and have purchased it already. I had been deciding between like three diffrent boats, and when it came down to it it was a Dumas hydro hawk .21.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:09 PM
virginia6634
My Feedback: (1)

Does anyone else find it funny, that of all the posts that followed the original question, not a single person answered the question?? Do you need a liner in the brass tube for a flex drive? Wow. Talk about getting off topic.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:55 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

No , you do NOT need a teflon liner , or a liner period . Just the brass or steel stuffing tube is fine, although , I myself , DO use a liner ..[8D]