Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

1/8 Proboat Budweiser

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

1/8 Proboat Budweiser

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 10:42 PM
J Grav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8 Proboat Budweiser

Hiya guys,

I just couldn't resist the Bud. Too pretty to resist. Anyway, let me degress. I have been out of powerboats longer than I want to remember. I can still remember exhaust throttles and 50% nitro and radio boxes made of wood. No such thing as tuned pipes. Recently, I have been doing airplanes and have a couple of Zenoah powered planes. I do remember that tuning the boat was time consuming with props, prop depth, angle, weight distribution, etc.

After looking over the Bud, I see that there is no way to change the prop height or angle. Those two pickup tubes gotta have a big drag. I have no idea what prop they put on it either. Is there anyone out there that has really messed with the Bud to get the most out of it? I know the stock G23 is a little wimpy, but once I find out what needs doing with the boat, I will probably put a J+G or B+H in it.

I dragged down my old Dumas Deep Vee from the attic and the Green, stock, weedeater air cooled motor is still ini it. Boy was it a dog. I might get this one going again too with a better motor. It all brings back good memories.

Also, I live in the Seattle area which was really heavy with boaters in the 70's but now, there is a void. Nobody wants the boats to run on their lake I guess. Does anyone know of powerboaters, especially gassers, running in the N.W.?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Jim
Old 03-04-2004, 09:29 AM
magyarbacsi

Default RE: 1/8 Proboat Budweiser

Hi Jim
Are we neighbors? I live above Seward Park and run my boat(s) in Andrews bay. Also fly a Citabria on floats, but that's ben a while. I never had a complaint yet, but I go only when there are no boaters or swimers. I have also boated on the south side, depending on which way the wind is blowing. Drop me a line and lets get together. [email protected]
Old 03-13-2004, 10:00 PM
tkoguy
My Feedback: (78)

i own this boat and the stock motor has to go, i installed a b-h high output motor with a tuned pipe and headers, i also installed a proworks prop(threeblade) i also took out all the servos and installed hightech gear metal high torque and all rechargeable batteries, i got this boat up to 68mph before it flipped over. the pickups are not the best but you dont notice it with the high power motor. good luck and watch your speed it might flip on you. i thinck you could get almost 75mph with this set-up.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:24 AM
mvidosh

I built one of these from an empty hull. i started buy removing the original stuffing tube and installing my own. To counter act the bad CG problem I installed a strut assembly off the transom. I also built my own turn fin. The stock turn fin does not line up with the running surface on the bottom of the right sponson. Finnally, with the strut assembly now moving the prop so much farther back, i installed a 4" offset rudder. A close friend of mine recently installed a Marine Specialty clutch in his. dropped right in with no mods, but i think it affects the Cg too much. Good luck building and running. I ran over 15 gallons of fuel through this one last year and was never upside down once. with GPS i am getting low 50's with a stock H-31 prop.

Mark Vidosh
Old 05-03-2004, 06:21 AM
CarolinalPistol

When you changed pipes, did you have to rework the cockpit cover? Any other suggestions now that you've run it for a while?