Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Put Your Engine Back Together Right :)

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Put Your Engine Back Together Right :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 12:20 PM
fryfrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put Your Engine Back Together Right :)

I got my boat on these forums a while ago and did some engine maintainance on it last year. It ran great for a few weekends, but then on its last run it just stopped. Well, finally after sitting for about 6 months over the winter I hauled it out and figured out what the problem was. The small wire "clips" that hold the rod which connects the piston to the piston rod had come out and was flying around in the combustion chamber... and eventually it did enough damage to lose compression. It looks like a small animal clawed at the piston and cylinder head.

Be careful when you put your engine back together!

[link=http://fryfrog.com/gallery/Apache/abm][/link] [link=http://fryfrog.com/gallery/Apache/abk][/link]
Old 03-05-2004, 03:32 PM
Aaronie

Default RE: Put Your Engine Back Together Right :)

DUH!

Good advise!
Old 03-06-2004, 06:04 PM
magyarbacsi

one way to check to see if the clips are seated is to push the wrist pin back and forth, and if you have seasoned eyes, notice I didn't say old, use a magnifier glass to get a better look. When I pull the wrist pin, I heat the piston a little, that way the wrist pin slides in or out with little effort. Now where did I leave that darned magnifying glass...
Now you have an excuse to put a 4 port jug on the block.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:37 PM
fryfrog

I did use it as an excuse to get a modified cylinder head and piston from B H Hanson

Thanks for the tip, I will be sure to check them this time. I also happened to have a rare earth magnet laying around from a computer hard drive I took apart and though I may as well rub it around the outside hoping to catch any metal fragments... and it got the other half of the wrist pin clip that I did not know was missing.

On the bright side, I still do have a spare cylinder head and piston that just needs a piston ring (the original that the engine came with) so while it sucks to destory it... not only did I learn something, but I have a few more spare parts AND I got to get a better replacement
Old 03-07-2004, 09:46 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Suggestion - check those bearings and crank . With those metal frags flying around in there , you never know ...
Old 03-07-2004, 01:30 PM
fryfrog

Should I totally break down the engine to get to the bearings? The most I have done so far is remove the cylinder head, piston from the piston rod and removed the clutch drum and shoes. I have not yet ever broken the engine in half to get to the ... the name alludes me

Would a through rinsing with gasoline be enough to wash out the fragments (while rotating the parts?) and perhaps some forced air to blow it out? Or should I just go ahead and break it down totally?

How about the gasketts? If I'm careful, should I reuse them or just replace them out of hand?
Old 03-07-2004, 01:38 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Gaskets , although you "might" be able to re-use them , it would of course , always be suggested to replace . ( even homemade ones from gasketing paper would be good , just watch the thickness - especially for the one for the jug . Thinner and you get higher comp , thicker and you loose comp )
And as far as rinsing with gs or something like carb cleaner . Yes , you could do this , but , if you want the motor for any duration of time , I , personally , would do a total break done and then rinse . And check your bearings for frags of metal also .