Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

need advice 4 first large gas boat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

need advice 4 first large gas boat

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 03:47 PM
poik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice 4 first large gas boat

ive got a 166 cc engine and old radio gear and the use of a school woodwork room.
will cheapo 7mm ply be too heavy 4 the hull? how long/wide should it be? should it be straight with the nose coming together in q point or should it be tapered the whole length? any help appreciated
Old 03-05-2004, 04:30 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

Default RE: need advice 4 first large gas boat

The perfect recipe for disaster.......
first and foremost an....."OLD" radio shouldnt even be considered......
secondly......with 166cc's you could ride in it save this engine for your 3rd boat

so lets walk here be fore we take off a runnin.

a boat this size is not insureable by any of the sanctioning bodies ....NAMBA/IMPBA .... etc.
it take years of experience to sucessfully build and operate a craft of this size and complexity.....or a very deep play money pocket to have one custom built for you.

find some one in your area that runs boats see what he is doin. then get a boat that you can actually run and maintain theres a lot to be said for just throwin a boat in the popnd .....instead of launchin the "QUEEN MARY"

Hey keep askin the Q's and we'll try to get ya the "A"'s
Old 03-07-2004, 02:54 PM
poik

by old i didn't mean ancient. i just meant that i already have it and its well used. more importantly the 166cc is a typo. its supposed to be 16cc.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:35 PM
pompebled

If you like woodwork, you could build the Srewdriver, a 48" deep vee.

Drawing is available through the ModelMaker planservice, the plan is by P.Simmons.

I am currently building a 52"" version for a 25cc Homelite and surface drive.

Good luck!

Jan.

P.S.: If you like me to send you some pictures, let me know.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:23 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

AAAAHHHHH...... ok 16cc's (1cubic inch) sounds a lot better. check the club web sites or ebay for a used hull about 36 to 40 inches would give ya a head start on the mechanicals and get you running sooner
Old 03-08-2004, 10:01 AM
poik

to new member please post some pics.
to junior member thanx but i love woodwork and myself and my mate get on really well with our woodwork
/technical graphics teacher so i would rather draw it up and build it with my mate. our teacher has said we can use the school woodwork room after hours so thats a great help.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:02 PM
pompebled

Some pictures for the Young lad.

I put them in the gallery. Screwdriver.

Mail me if there are any questions.

Best regards, Jan.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:34 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

Heres a barrel back runabout for ya
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37337.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	109299  
Old 03-09-2004, 05:52 AM
pompebled

Default Another question.

Just a (stupid?) question: how do I add a picture to my posting?

I'm only able to put them in my gallery, what am I doing wrong?

Jan.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:09 AM
poik

to pombebled
thats exactly what i want to build. what are you covering it with? i was thinking of covering
it tightly in poly thene sheet and then f.ging over the sheet and the because of the polythene
i would be able to work on the f.g. seperatly from the frame. i could also make more than one
hull in case of bad crashes. how long is tours and what capacity engine will you use?
Old 03-10-2004, 06:23 PM
pompebled

Hi !

If you scroll up a few postings, you can see that I already mentioned the length of 52" and a 25cc Homelite as a powersource.

The frames are 4mm ply and the sheeting is 3mm poplar ply (very light, but soft), the stringers are 7 x 7 mm softwood.

When the hull is finished, I am going to cover it with a thin layer of glass and epoxy resin, squeegee off the access resin, and apply another coat of resin after the first has cured, repeating this untill the surface is smooth.
The interior only gets a coat of epoxy resin to seal the wood from moisture and oil / petrol from the engine.

The Homelite is not a high revving engine, but has reasonable torque, that's the reason I enlarged the plan by 10%.

What do you mean by f.ging? Fiberglassing?

The Screwdriver plans are drawn after a polyester original, so if you built it properly, making a mould of it is possible.
However, the plug, as the hull would be called then, has to be built infinately stronger than I have done now for a sailing model, because the shrinking of the polyester, of which the mould would be made (epoxy is far too expensive), would destroy the hull, leaving you with a pricy failure and no boat...

Let me know if you have anymore questions

Greetz, Jan.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:39 AM
poik

thanx pombebled
yes i do mean fiberglassing by f.ging.
i live in the west of a small ****hole called ireland and theidea of any sort of modelling store is just a joke. i was thinking of having a straight prop shaft with a small universal connector(you know, one of those things that bend any way like used in the drive train of a front wheel drive car.) at the engine end.
bearing in mind i will have to source all equipment from any thing the usual sources do you think this is ok and if so do you know where i could find a suitably small connector.
i was going to have a sheet rudder hinged on the transom.
how do you epoxy the inside of the hull or can you buy it in a can?
Old 03-12-2004, 12:28 PM
pompebled

Hi!

You don't have to live in Ireland to be miles away from a decent modeling store...
I get anything I can't make myself by mail too, or drive at least an hour to the nearest store, who I telephone in advance, so they can order the parts I need.

A straight propshaft will give you problems connecting it to the engine because of the vibrations.
The engine will be mounted in shock absorbers to reduce the vibrations, the straight shaft will be fixed in the hull.
Something will have to give and I think that the coupling will be destroyed by the torque of the engine.
Pray that it happens in shallow water, because the flying parts will probably puncture your hull.

A flex shaft will absorb the vibrations and is the way to go in order to get the angle right (parallel to the keel line)

A sheet rudder will do for a start, it has more drag than a wedgeshaped rudder, and above a certain speed the current will break off when you want to make a turn, effectively leaving you without steering, untill you reduce the speed. (this can be very scary when the boat runs toward you....)It happened to my 75 cm electric (over)powered MTB who slammed into a brick wall at nearly full speed, fortunally the hull itself was made of polyester, only minor damage to it, but the deck came loose and everything but the motor was launched into the front of the boat...

Epoxy is available as a two components (resin and hardener), once mixed in the right proportions, you can apply it with a brush.
There are several types, which cure slow 24h or fast(er) 1h to 5min. You'll want the slow curing type.
Heating the epoxy, once applied, with a hairdryer will make it more "runny", in order to reach every little corner.
Don't overdo it, it is still a wooden hull, which also reacts to heat.

Check the local paintshop or building market to see what you can get, or ask your teacher.

Best regards, Jan.