Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

new to rc boats, help

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

new to rc boats, help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 11:45 PM
brett0004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to rc boats, help

Hi guys, I am just building my first rc boat hull from scratch using my own plans that I drew up with CAD, and have some questions as I am very new to all this, the boat is made of ply coated with resin, it is 47" long. I will be powering it with a weedy motor, cause there are a few that I can scrounge up around here for nothing. 1. what size in cc would be ok. 2. what size in surface drive and rudder assembly would be suitable, I have looked at a few on the net but there seems to be a lot to choose from. 3. What prop size do I choose, bear in mind it is not intended to be a racer just to take the kids out (and dad) to have a bit of fun. I have attached a picture hope someone is able to help.

cheers Brett from Western Australia
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65744.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	130174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83829.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	130175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20514.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	130176  
Old 05-08-2004, 05:59 AM
pompebled

Default RE: new to rc boats, help

Hi Brett,

I used the kids as an excuse for my boating activities for a while, but now they run their own boats and I'm having trouble keeping up!

In your hull, i'ts a beauty!, a 25 cc weedy would do just fine.
If you have a LHS near, I'd pick up the strut, rudder and the rest there, they should be able to give you advice.

Also take a look at www.shark-racing.com lots of info on weedwacker motors.

How wide is the hull?
It looks rather sleek, you may want more revs (smaller prop), as to more torque (larger prop), in order not to make the hull turn itself over when you hit the throttle...

I've enlarged the plans of my Screwdriver by 10% to compensate for the torque of my 25cc Homelite (see my gallery).

Don't worry about not going fast, the hull looks good in that respect!

Perhaps you could mail me the plans? (exchange-plan?)

Regards, Jan.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:23 AM
brett0004

Hi Jan, thanks for the info, check your mail, they are in dwg format so you will need autocad or similar to open them. I just went and measured the hull and it is 350mm or 13-3/4" at its widest point. There are no hobby shops where I live, so its places like ebay or mail order. (I live in a remote mining town 1400ks from Perth) But I will ring and get friendly with them. I have looked at the octura sites etc, but they dont give model size information.

thanks for the help, regards Brett
Old 05-08-2004, 07:48 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

thats one nice lookin boat there
with a stock weedy engine you are lookin at about 25 mph which by the way is just enough temptation to go faster. any hardware that is used for a .60-.90 nitro boat is big enough for a gas boat [link=http://www.aeromarinerc.com/]AEROMARINE LAMINATES[/link] has some very durabls stuff reasonably priced and Remy the owner is a great help .

good luck
Old 05-08-2004, 08:33 AM
pompebled

Hi Brett.

Thanks for mailing me the plans, I'm looking forward to take a look.

A beam of 350 mm should be enough, my hull has that on the bottom chines.

Keep us informed about how things develop.

Regards, Jan.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:59 AM
w3bby

Hi Brett,
Nice boat.
There are a number of aussies active on some of the other boat forums, worth a look.
Here are a few links in Australia (you probably have these already), I'm sure these guys will have the stuff you need
[link=http://sonicracing.netfirms.com/]sonic racing[/link]
[link=http://www.area51rcboats.com/]Area 51[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbysupplies.com.au/]Hobby Supplies[/link]
[link=http://www.radiomodels.com.au/]Radio Models[/link]
With a weedeater you will be looking for a 1/4" flex drive and hardware.

Ian
Old 05-08-2004, 08:46 PM
brett0004

Can anyone give me a rough idea of the prop size that i would be looking at. (surface drive setup) just as a guide.

cheers Brett
Old 05-09-2004, 09:25 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

If you use a weedie engine , a good all-around prop would be a Prather 275 and possibly a 280 . And if you find that the 280 is too much prop , you could always do a back cut on the prop which eases load on start off .
Nice thing about the Prather props , is that , if you have an area that you run in that has LOTS of turtles , or things in the water , the Prather props come in both Stainless steel ( MUCH harder ) and berrilium copper ( MUCH softer , but also easier to mod and a couple of dollars cheaper too )

As was mentioned above , AEROMARINE does sell RC boats and related items , but , disadvantage in my opinion is that you can not go to his website and order and pay for your item(s) online . You will have to make a phone call to him .
IMO and choice , the better choice is Brian at Rocket City Racing . He , also carries all the necessary hardware , and then some . AND..... you can order online too ! !

Here is a link to his website if interested ( or , you could also just check on the BAY regularly )

http://www.rocketcityracing.com/tek9...cific=jpdmfpi8
Old 05-10-2004, 12:46 AM
brett0004

The driveline/rudder setup that I am looking at is an Octura 93S, I think this will be ok. If Iam wrong please let me know as I dont want to waste $100 bucks.

cheers Brett