Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Ugh! Echo motor questions

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Ugh! Echo motor questions

Old 06-06-2004, 05:42 PM
klebel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ugh! Echo motor questions

I just bought a "new to me" 48 inch deep vee that has an echo motor, walbro carb and tuned pipe installed. I can't get the damn motor to idle to save me though. It starts up after the 3rd or 4th pull and dies in under a minute. [] How do I figure this out? Anyone have suggestions or a website I can look at? I am getting pretty darn frustrated. Any help would be appreciated!

-Kerry
Old 06-07-2004, 04:30 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

Default RE: Ugh! Echo motor questions

on the side of the carb that has one screw on the cover remove this and under the gasket there is a screen if this has crap on it clean it off dont take it out just clean . it dont take much to mess up the idle. next try opening the low speed needle some the low needle is the closest to the engine. and check for air leaks
Old 06-14-2004, 11:38 AM
skoda450

Check the following:
Carburator clean inside? If it sat for a long time ( more than a year) it could need cleaning out.
Check the adjustment needles, They can be VERY critical to adjust and it won't run if they are a little off. Start with both Low and High open 1 1/4 turn and adjust from there.
Carburator pump hole clear? The base compression is passed to the carb via a small hole in the carb mount. If the hole is not lined up or the gasket is on wrong, the carb won't pick up gas correctly and the motor will starve out.
Carb and mount tight? Serious vacuum leaks will cause it not to run espicall idle.
Rear engine base cover tight? Leaks here do the same damage as a loose carb.
Good luck..
Old 06-15-2004, 03:01 AM
nofx

Hi, just sharing my first engine difficulties. My homie engine was doing the same thing.
When I'd start her up with the choke on, I'd take the choke off after about 15-20 secs then put her in the water. But she'd stall within a minute everytime. It got me goin for a sec, but all it was is the engine vibrations pushing the choke back on, causing it to flood and stall. I have to use a rubber band to keep it open now.
I know its unlikeley your problem, but every bit of information counts yeah?

-Thanks
Old 06-18-2004, 02:50 PM
klebel

Thanks for all the advice guys. The filter in the carb was complete gummed up and the screws were way out of whack. One was over 3 turns out and the other one was almost all the way in.

Kerry
Old 06-22-2004, 03:10 PM
skoda450

The gummed up filter is your major problem of course. The position of the needles may be where they end up, especially if the one that was three turns out was the high speed needle. If it runs at the initial settings, set a reliable idle first, then begin to adjust for max RPM at WOT with the high speed needle at no load. Go back to the Low needle a touch for a smooth transition to WOT. Final adjustments of High needle could be needed when in the water under load. Good Luck
Old 07-02-2004, 05:59 AM
mikenlapaz

klebel
FWIW check out the engine conversion forum and do an echo search. Gobs of walbro advise as well.