Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Homelite carb adjustment??

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Homelite carb adjustment??

Old 07-06-2004, 12:34 PM
jdg_rit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homelite carb adjustment??

I am having problems adjusting the high needle on my homelite engine. I have a 52" Radio Active V hull with a mid mod homelite engine. Warehouse Hobbies water cooled mid-mod cylinder head, Walbro big bore carb with Intl. RC billet mounting adapter and velocity stack, Warehouse Hobbies motor mount (stuffs the crankcase to improve flow),and Warehouse Hobbies wet-tuned pipe. I have 87 octane pump gas mixed 32:1 with Amsoil synthetic oil. New spark plug. It idles great and has good take off, but it sags on the high end. If it richen it up it sputters on the high end and if I lean it out it will take off fast, but then after a few seconds it will begin to sag and not have much speed. I tried to get the carb adjusted for about a half hour or more. It seems like there isn't much room between right and wrong. What could be the problem? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Aaronie

Default RE: Homelite carb adjustment??

Take off the velocity stack and try again.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:28 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

change the oil mix to 20 to 1 or 6 to 8 oz per gallonn next lose the velocity stack and the big bore carb homies run best all around with the walbro 167 carb. now check for air leaks and redo all the electrical connections it might be buggin out when vibration is at its highest and causing the throttle servo to glitch. most radio problems will hit the throttle servo first
Old 07-06-2004, 06:41 PM
BajaBob-delete

Don't forget,clean that little screen in carb,it gets invisible film on it and can cause sympthoms like this.Shoot it with carb cleaner and before it dries blow through it with compressed air.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:54 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

AND ... one more thing .... did you gap the new plug ?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:24 PM
jdg_rit

If the Big bore carb is such a problem why does every Homelite I see for gas boats use them? Most every website also promotes the big bore carbs. What's the logic behind it? Where can I find a 167 carb? I have a bunch of old homelite motors. Do they have the 167's? If not where can I find one and how can I recognize it? Thanks.

Jarodd
Old 07-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Aaronie

You say you have a bunch of old Homelite engines. Would you by any chance have a carburetor intake block/spacer? I just cracked my today and cannot run the motor without it. I do need some gaskets too.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:04 PM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

How did you break it[sm=confused.gif]
Old 07-07-2004, 05:13 PM
TERBObob

Jarrod ,
The 167's are NOT a standard issue on Homies ( unless its a modded motor meant for boats and from a RC dealer/seller . ).
The 167 can be recoginized by that number on the side of the carb .... ( can't remember if its a WT , or a WA before the 167 .... )
The big bore does NOT necessarily mean that it is 167 either . The 167 carb is one of the easiest to set ( verses the other big bores )
( FTR - anything BIGGER in bore than whats currently on the engine is classified as a BIG BORE . Also does NOT mean that it is the right one either . Meaning ... there are LOTS of guys on the BAY advertising BIG BORE Walbro carbs and claiming them for weedie motors and advertising them in the RC BOAT section . Do NOT be fooled into that . A LOT of them will NOT work ! )
Where can you find a 167 ? There are MANY places ... but ... you can almost count of spending around $30 and up for one . More than likely , it'll cost you more .
you might check with FASTRAT and see if maybe he possibly might have a used one that he'll let go cheap , OR you can check with Dave at BOATMAN HOBBIES .
Otherwise , count on spending a high dollar .
Old 07-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Aaronie

bkf - I probably just over-tightened it. It's only plastic or something. My motor wasnt running very well, I think I had an air leak. It was probably from a crack in the intake spacer. Then, I tightened it a little too much and boom broken! [&o]
Old 07-07-2004, 06:14 PM
dahoppa

how about trying a different size prop ? maybe loading/unloading the engine would help ? i dunno just a new guy
Old 07-07-2004, 08:29 PM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Yea that spacer seens to be a weak link on alot of these, not just homies. And now I read you got a radio problem. Don't ya just love RC My carb was acting up a bit with the humidity on the 4th but it's still breaking in

Oh and where did I read..... Spraying some starting fluid on the spacer area, if it revs up a bit ya got a leak.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:59 AM
jdg_rit

Aaronie, I could get you a specer and some gaskets if you are interested. What homelite engine do you have? Let me know. email me at [email protected]

Jarodd
Old 07-08-2004, 08:06 AM
jdg_rit

Well I took the carb and velocity stack off last night. The screen in the carb was clean as new and I blew it out to make sure. I didn't have to worry about the holes and gaskets not being lined up because it has a pulse line from the crankcase to the pump. What did surprise me was when I pulled the feed line from the gas tank to the carb off the carb it sprayed gas. That makes me wonder if the tank vent is working. The boat was on my porch yesterday and ut was hot outside, so when it got hot the tank expended and the tank vent didn't vent. Would that cause a problem? Also I am looking for a part number for a resistor plug for my homelite. I don't want champion. Maybe NGK, Autolite, etc... Thanks for the help.

Jarodd
Old 07-08-2004, 08:16 AM
TERBObob

Yes ... the not venting of the tank would do that also ( in addition to possibly stretching your diahpram on the pump )
Sounds like you got your problem figured out .
Old 07-08-2004, 08:22 AM
nofx

hi all,
I'm also havin problems with the high needle on my homie engine. Can someone lead me to a pic or 2 of these such needles? I can't find em anywhere on or near my carb. I need to adjust it and have a play.
.....Cheers....