Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

conversion help needed

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

conversion help needed

Old 07-14-2004, 07:37 AM
wingnut1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default conversion help needed

Have a poulan 42 cc chainsaw motor i am going to convert for use in a boat, i am new to the gas game so i have some questions. How do i make motor mounts and a coil mounts for this engine? Has anyone converted one of these motors before? How about a water jacket, the plug is on an angle? I have a mill and a lathe that i can use and i have read most of thhe post in this forum and spadworld as well. Most conversions i have seen are for airplanes, there doesn't seem to be as much on boats?
Old 07-14-2004, 09:40 AM
BajaBob-delete

Default RE: conversion help needed

Go look over here for answers,a lot of what your lookig for is covered here.

[link]http://www.shark-racing.com/[/link]
Old 07-14-2004, 04:50 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A big problem with a lot of chainsaw motors is that they run in the opposite direction of Homelites, Zenoahs, etc. so getting the correct prop and other things is a hassle.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:15 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

chainsaws dont run the wrong direction its just thet the starter is on the wrong side as far as our boats are concerned the shark Racing site has a bunch of stuff for saw conversions. but our free speach is stifiled here cuz we cant post links to sites that in thre least way might compete with the powers that be here. which is unfortunate cuz its all about helping the uninitiated to the RC world

ok i've vented

good luck
Old 07-15-2004, 08:51 AM
BajaBob-delete

The link I posted to Shark Racing above seems to work.

[link=http://www.shark-racing.com/]Shark Racing[/link]
Old 07-16-2004, 08:22 AM
wingnut1

iwas going to mount the chainsaw in backwards and use a drive belt and two pulleys to run it, my big problem is how to make a coil mount for this motor as it was mounted to the case, same with the pull start. The only mounting holes are the crankcase bolt and some mounting points around the carb, has anyone made brackets for this style of motor.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:55 AM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

Wingnut,
I have done the airplane conversion of that style engine and it wasn't easy. You will have to make almost everything yourself to make it work. The airplane guys have for the most part stayed away from the Poulan 38cc, 42cc, and 60cc because of the case mounted coils. Some however have converted them by trashing the flywheel/magneto ignition and installing an electronic system, which loses some weight and allows for hand propping to start.

You may want to look for a Poulan 46cc as it is probably the easiest to convert. It will fall out of the saw in one piece once unbolted. No cutting required! It is very lite for its size. It will mount just like a glow engine with it's bosses or pads on the sides of the crankcase like a glow counterpart. The ignition is all engine mounted so there will be no worry there, and I believe the spark plug is a straight in the head(easier cooling).

I have converted the Poulan 60cc for airplane use and have a 38cc in the shed waiting, which is where it will most likely stay. There is just too much cutting and fabricating for such a small engine(as far as airplane use goes), plus a $150.00 ignition system. My 60cc is however very strong and will really "haul the mail".

If you are going to use belt drive on your boat you might as well go with the Poulan 46cc and run two props off that engine! Just a thought.

Hope this helped.

Tim
Old 07-19-2004, 08:20 AM
wingnut1

Thanks for the suggestions two stroker, but i like doing things the hard way. On one of the other posts, i read that if you change the timing, you can run a two stroke the opposite direction with the same performance, is this true?, has anyone ever tried this? I think it should work! If so, does the coil stay in the same orientation or do i flip it 180 degrees, I will be making some coil brackets when i figure out the timing in the other direction
Old 07-19-2004, 08:52 AM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

Wingnut,

The engine will run just as good bachwards as forwards if the timing is changed. I set all my engines at 28 degrees Before Top Dead Center(BTDC) to run in the standard direction, counter-clockwise while facing the engine. The same would be true for running it the opposite direction but the timing would be 28 degrees After Top Dead Center(ATDC), but you would start it the opposite direction, so it would really be like 28 BTDC.

You can mount the ignition solidly and move the flywheel to achive the desired timing, woodruff keys are not required as it is a tapered fit, once tightened rarely moves. The woodruff key is for easy assembly at the factory, preset timing.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:17 PM
sparky0227

Can I remove the crank and flip it 180 degrees? This will put the flywheel and pull start on the correct side, i will just have to mount the coil, this i think will solve my running backwards problem. Does anybody know if this is correct?