Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Help me with my boat guys!

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Help me with my boat guys!

Old 07-17-2004, 07:54 PM
jwren00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me with my boat guys!

Ok here's the story:

We bought this boat like 8 or 10 years ago(I think). It's a 50" apache hull, with a Cobra Marine modified 30cc engine by International RC. It was top of the line back then, and it cost a pretty penny. It ran great for 2 or 3 summers and I loved it, but then the engine just went bad and I had a really hard time tuning it. I got really frustrated and gave up, and it's been sitting in storage for about 6 years while I've been racing rc cars and doing the airplane thing.

Now I want to get back into boats. Where should I start, in terms of getting the thing running again? Does this company still exist (International RC)? I have all the papers still and I have tried calling them, but the number doesn't work.

I'd appreciate any and all help you could give me. Thanks in advance! Here are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81279.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	154611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74000.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	154612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92006.jpg
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	154613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66709.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	154614  
Old 07-17-2004, 08:54 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

Default RE: Help me with my boat guys!

rebuild the carb....add some fresh batteries and go for it
Old 07-17-2004, 09:07 PM
jwren00

Anybody know what kind of engine this is? I assume international rc did some mods to it, but it would be nice to know what kind of engine it is so I can get some replacement seals, gaskets, orings, etc.

So does International RC still exist? I need to get in touch with them if they are still around.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:27 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Thats the reason why you never get rid of your stuff. You'll always come back to it.

Reason I say this, is because I came back into this sport after a 15 year absense and had sold everything. I mean Everything. Took my boats, planes tools, glue, epoxy, starters (you name it) to my old flying field and told the guys to have at it. THEY DID. btw, your engine looks like a Homelite.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:35 PM
jwren00

Ok I took the thing all apart today to start messing with he engine.

It is definitely a Homelite, with a Walbro carb on it. If the carb is screwed, how much is it to buy a new walbro carb? What's a good website for homelite and walbro stuff?

Anybody know how I can reach International RC??????????
Old 07-18-2004, 06:46 PM
BajaBob-delete

International RC is history, gone.

Get a new set of diaphragms for carb,about 5-7 bucks,you probably don't need a new carb if butterfly moves just put new rubber parts inside and you should be all set.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:52 PM
jwren00

Damn it, looks like I won't be getting any replacement parts from intl rc if I break something.

All the rubber parts looked to be in good shape when I took the carb apart today, hopefully it will be alright.

I got the thing started and it was running ok. It can idle and gradually go up to wot, but I get a huge bog when I try to go from idle to full throttle instantly. It just gurlges really bad and doesn't pick up any rpms. I can't figure out why it's happening; it behaves the same no matter where I put the high speed needle. Neither Richening nor leaning it helps. Any suggestions???

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:46 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Still love the looks of the boat. White w/purple graphics..... gotta remember that.

If you don't feel like messing around with the carby too much, you can buy a new one for a around $20 on ebay. Adjust the High & Low end screws and you're good to go.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:40 AM
Aaronie

RC boat parts are pretty easy to find. There are many places that sell parts for your boat. Don't worry about International RC being closed. Oh yeah, go to Jim's R/C Boat Dock and get a Walbro 167 Carburetor.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:05 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A lot of the Int'l R/C parts came from Warehouse Hobbies. Most parts are available from plenty of places.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:13 AM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

Hello,

You didn't really say if you rebuilt the carburetor or not. If you can take it apart, you can rebuild it yourself, it is just that easy. Your transition problems could simply be a low end needle adjustment. But it is hard to say if you didn't go through the carb with new diaphragms, screens and needle. Often times the fuel screens inside the carb become dirty causing problems as do the diaphragms from becoming hard from age. Both will cause it to be out of tune or hard to tune, if not impossible.

Tim
Old 07-19-2004, 04:52 PM
jwren00

thanks guys! good advice. I'll just buy a new walbro 167 carb for it if it's that cheap. I'm used to expensive nitro car engines, so I thought it would be more expensive than that.

Oh and another thing, I read on these forums that using a velocity stack isn't a great idea. Does my engine have one? I don't even know what the hell they are....

Where's a good place to buy a new fuel tank and props? It seems like everybody uses prather stainless props, so maybe I'll get one of those. What's a good size prop for me?

Thanks for the help
Old 07-19-2004, 05:40 PM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

You can go ahead and buy a new carburetor, but you will still have to adjust the low and high needles, your engine is not a stock engine by the looks of that pipe. So no matter if it is a factory preset carb it will not be for your engine as the I'd bet your engine is slightly more modified than the tuned pipe, which will make it want more fuel than a stock engine. Even if the tuned pipe is the only mod it will still require needle adjustments to run correctly. My guess would be that the crankcase has been stuffed also, which takes away from the crankcase volume making the fuel/air charge rush into the cylinder faster, making even more power. The Homelite is one of the easiest to stuff as it is usually part of the engine mount. So if you still want to buy a new carburetor you will spend 3x the cost of a rebuild kit, but it is your money, don't let me tell you how to spend it.

You do have a velocity stack on your carburetor. It is the red funnel shaped thing on the end of the carb. It is designed to smooth out the airflow into the engine. I have seen cases where they are not beneficial but those were all airplane applications. If the carburetor was enclosed in the cowling and the velocity stack was outside the cowling where the air pressure was different making the mixture very rich. I do not see how your boat would not benefit from a velocity stack.

Hope this helps

Tim
Old 07-19-2004, 08:54 PM
jwren00

Thanks twostroker!

Yeah the engine is definitely not stock. I can tell the intake area has been ported a little bit, but I don't think the case has been stuffed. The engine mount does attach right to the case as you said, and i opened the cover and it looks normal. Although I guess it still could be "stuffed" if this is a different plastic cover that is actually sticking farther into the case than the stock plastic cover would and hence decreasing the volume in there. I don't have any experience with these homelite engines so I'm not quite sure how one goes about stuffing the crankcase.

The piston/cylinder/conrod/crankshaft/bearings/etc. all look fine, so I'm pretty sure my problem is somewhere in the carb. I ran it again today, and I've got the needles set as best as I can, but I still get the bogging when I open it up fast. I'm just gonna keep fiddling around with it and hopefully I'll figure it out. If I don't figure it out I'll order a rebuild kit as you said and see if that helps.

What kind of spark plugs do you use? I need to get some. Right now I have a champion on there, but I'd rather get some ngk's. I don't know what number plug it would be though.