Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

how to paint a fiberglass boat

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

how to paint a fiberglass boat

Old 05-25-2005, 09:50 AM
bmxlube0_0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to paint a fiberglass boat

Hi there every one. I have a petrol boat that is 1.5 meters long and I need some help on how to paint it. I have painted it black but the paint keeps peeling off. Am I doing it wrong? Im just using spray paint on it, what should I be using? I want a better finish too as I used a gloss spray by Plasticote and it came out more like a Matt finish. I also want a shiny finish what should I do? Please help!!
Old 05-25-2005, 10:31 AM
jdoug

Default RE: how to paint a fiberglass boat

Rough up the surface you're painting. Before the paint, lay down a primer coat and sand it super smooth. I'm in the process of having to do the same thing. I'm also learning about how to do a nice, not to expensive paint job. Everyone tells me that preparation is the key to a nice paint job. Once you have the smooth primer base coat, then you can start to add paint. You'll wet sand between layers of paint, and when all is covered good - Clear coat it, about 3-4 layers. This is where I'm sort of confused. I think, but not possitive, you'll also wet sand between the layers of clear. Then buff the last layer of clear and she'll shine right up. If anyone out there sees errors in my ways - PLEASE let me know
Old 05-25-2005, 02:32 PM
skoda450

bmx, I assume the hull you are painting is fiberglass. All fiberglass hulls have a mold release wax type coating on the finish. I MUST be removed with acetone or some other chemical that will disolve the coating and remove it. Once it is gone, follow jdougs advice above. The mold release is applied to the mold before the fiberglass is applied so that when the process is complete, the cured hull can be removed from the mold. It's still working, but now it's working on your paint and keeping it from sticking!!!
Old 05-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Captain Ramius

Dupont developed IMRON for fiberglass the key to it, is a flex agent has been added , you can add flex agent to any paint to shoot glass and not have it peel.You don't have this option when shooting rattle can paint.
Most of the peeling is caused by the problems mentioned above but a "hard" paint and flexing glass will cause peeling too.
Be sure that the paint you are using is compatible with the fuel you are using , alchohol based fuels (nitro) will eat up the best of paint and some paints aren't gasoline proof. Choose a paint that resists your fuel.

Try wiping gel down with acetone and then scuff it with scotchbrite , then wipe again with acetone followed by thinner.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:59 PM
jocolo
My Feedback: (7)

Sand it, clean it with alcohol and use TamiyaPaint for Plastic. Then used a 1000 grit sand paper, then clear coat it.

Want to know how it will look like??????????......
Both of this boats were painted with Tamiya spray paint, the Blue one is Tamiya Blue Mica.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47340.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	277325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic85210.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	277326  
Attached Images   
Old 05-28-2005, 07:19 AM
MadRigger

What kind of clear coat are you'll using? Is it in spray can are do you use a sprayer? And also do you need to sand between clear coats?
Old 05-28-2005, 10:53 AM
jocolo
My Feedback: (7)

I used a clear coat they sell at the hobby shop fuel proof i donot sand between clear coat
Old 05-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Raydee
My Feedback: (3)

Jocolo, your hulls look great. Most guys will use auto paint and clear for their hulls. The only problem I have found with can clears are the fact that some have a yellow hue or tint to them after a while....my guess is from the sun. Also they are not as fuel proof as they claim. If you can afford it have it cleared at a autobody shop. I have painted my hatches with Createx paints through a airbrush and then applied auto clear after with great results. It was way too much of a pain to do again, in the future I will paint the hull and then have a Autobody shop clear it for me.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:28 PM
bmxlube0_0

thanks people will see what i can do and see what the result is will post a pic when finished
Old 06-01-2005, 09:30 AM
pilotrc2002
Banned
My Feedback: (15)

i have a guy paint mine for me but he told me how he does it
first he will give the boat a good bath
then he will sand the gelcoat with 800
then he tapes off his layout
he uses a paint called Faskolor
nice thing about the paint is that is drys very fast
after he gets all his colors on he will clear coat it with high gloss clear(automotive paint store)
then wetsand the clear with 1000 and clears it again
after 2 days of drying he will polish it out with a polishing compound
he are some pics of one that he did for me

Name:	Om32912.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	279075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77693.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	279076  
Old 06-01-2005, 09:40 PM
project5k

that is a truely awesome looking boat... i hope that mine comes out looking at least half that good...
Old 06-02-2005, 06:15 PM
pilotrc2002
Banned
My Feedback: (15)

project5k
here is my newest boat
painted with Faskolt and then cleared
the guy that i normaly have paint my boat wanted 200.00 to paint it
I got out for under 40 buck

Name:	Db85427.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	279615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58387.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	279616  
Old 06-07-2005, 11:12 PM
SW36adam

Well, with all your different ways to paint your boats someone please give me a universal correct way to paint my shockwave 36[&:][&:]
Old 06-16-2005, 11:50 PM
barnstormerboats

Prep is definatly the key. Acetone will remove the wax, and a good scuffing on the surface is a MUST.

Then, you need to make every layer a good solid layer. Not a thin overspray like application. All the little droplets of paint should run together into a solid layer. This is where the artistry comes into play - too much and it runs, not enough and it is a waste of your time since all future layers will build on the texture of the overspray like lumps.

You do not need to sand between layers unless you let them dry hard. If you wait about 30 - 40 minutes max. between layers to let them dry enough to not run but still melt into the next coat you will get a nice thick deep looking paint job. If the paint dries hard (IE More than an hour) You need to wait a couple days and then lightly sand it and then apply the next layer.

3 solid layers of color and 2 of clear is a decent job. Layer different colors under each other for a really cool shading factor.

There really is no substitute for a professional painter and all the expensive gear, but with the right touch you can get a decent look from a can.

Barnstormerboats.com
Old 07-22-2020, 12:45 AM
baritt

Hi guys, this is my experience with fiberglass painting and staining.

I work for a fiberglass door manufacturer name Epic Doors and we use a water based product called TruCoat.Us for painting and staining our fiberglass doors. It is made specifically for fiberglass doors so it doesn’t require any special primers, is super durable and lays down really smoothly.

I assume you can paint fiberglass boat as well as fiberglass is fiberglass. Worth checking! We are super satisfied with it!
Old 10-05-2020, 05:41 PM
kevinsburns

After the prep work is done. Sanding, tack cloth, I use a air compressor to blow off dust from sanding, make sure you have a water trap or oily water will spot the hull. I stay away from black sand paper as that really messes paint up too, brown sandpaper is best, IMO.
Class Coat is an awesome 2 part epoxy paint.
It can be airbrushed or hand painted on as it self levels.