Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

stub shaft question

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

stub shaft question

Old 12-12-2005, 09:57 PM
lzvagias

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stub shaft question

why is the inner diameter of my prather 275 bored out to a 1/4", does anyone even use a 1/4" shaft with a 275? using bushings sux!
Old 12-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: stub shaft question

I have 1 prop thats 3/16 and only a few 3/16 stubs (not by choice). Everything else (Over 100 props) is 1/4". Running gas 99% of props and shafts are going to be 1/4". 3/16" stubs have more potential to bend. By big Blata powered cat was running with two 3/16" stubs (all I could find at the time) and they did have bend and wear issues (1/4" bearing/bushing has much bigger wear surface).
Old 12-12-2005, 10:58 PM
lzvagias

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

marine specialties does'nt even offer the hbr (what i have) in a quarter inch shaft. this isn't normal? also have you ever seen or used a ss stub shaft? m.s. told me that its not recomended cause it wears the oilite bearings to fast.? that doesn't make sense to me because ss is softer than hardened steel.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:46 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wear on bearings is more dependant on the finish of the shaft than its composition. If a shaft is not nice and shiny I will polish it so it is. A rough shaft will eat through bearings pretty quick.

I am actually using titanium shafts on my big cat with 3/16" shafts for a little added security. I am not sure what my other stub shafts are made of. I guess a few are SS but never checked