Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Serious problem with my Aeromarine Sport X 50" and AC model –king Cat 44"

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Serious problem with my Aeromarine Sport X 50" and AC model –king Cat 44"

Old 12-13-2005, 06:24 PM
irenaslavo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious problem with my Aeromarine Sport X 50" and AC model –king Cat 44"

Although I'm a Canadian girl leaving in USA I'm addicted to R/C models since 6 year…. Gentlemen, recently I bought 2 boats Aeromarine Sport X 50" and AC model –king Cat 44", both equipped with modified Zenoah engines without clutches and tuned exhaust system, after bulding them, I faced problem with both …. Aeromarine, with full throttle moving very slow and I think the problem in the propeller size and leveling which I'm not sure if I'm using the right Octura size and if propeller water level is right or not, also I don't know which is the right place for fuel tank, I place it back to the engine and maybe it makes nose heavy
The AC models is very strange , in straight line it is very good, fast and accelerate good no problem but in any curve the engine is completely stop, I tried very possible way to overcome this problem but without success also although I'm using Octura propeller I'm not sure about the right size.

Because I use to race smaller nitro boats, I considered myself beginner in building large hulls and gas engines…… I will appreciate anyone support
Old 12-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Serious problem with my Aeromarine Sport X 50" and AC model –king Cat 44"

Hey - Irenaslavo
Sounds like your getting into gas boats in a big way with two additions.

I am not real familiar with the balance / weight distribution for the Sport X though if it is anything like every other hydro I have seen and run it will want the weight forward (No such thing as a nose heavy hydro ). The prop will want to be a lifting prop / hydro prop (Most of your "H" series props like H35, H40 or H50 - [link=http://www.rcprops.com/rcprops/]Some examples here[/link]) and set your strut so the shaft is about 1" below the transom. Most hydros have some trouble getting up on the plane so make sure you have someone launch it for you (throwing it parallel to the surface of the water) and keep the throttle up until she is on the plane (though if it is not going to get up and go - shut her down within a minute or so to be sure you do not overheat the motor.

You cat shuts down turning - can see that being a problem. Does it just loose all power or is it more a gradual power loss. Sudden loss may be a loose wire in the ignition. Slower loss may be more a problem with the fuel pickup location (sucking air when turning) or similar. Let us know how you go and post some action pics !!

Old 12-13-2005, 07:24 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

Default RE: Serious problem with my Aeromarine Sport X 50" and AC model –king Cat 44"

Hi
The sport x hydro is a great hull for what you are doing and it wuill handle plenty ruff water ...... if the balance is right

the engine should be as far forward as possible with the tank stuck in front of that. all the radio stuff should also go as far forward too but keep it al least 8 to 10" from the engine.
the rudder needs to be leaned back a few degrees (trailing)
sponson skid fin is angled in about 15 degrees
with your ready to run boat sitting on a plank tall enuff for everything to clear it must balance about 1" rearward from the sponsons transom.
if the hydro hops its either too nose heavy or there is too much down thrust ( lift ) in the prop angle. you will be able to see daylight under that hydro at speed if set up right
Old 12-13-2005, 08:28 PM
irenaslavo

Thanks justaddwata for your immediate support but for your opinion which propeller size will perform well, I checked and I believe size H-50 is suitable.
Regarding cat shuts down turning, it Doesn't loose all power or is it gradual power loss, the engine is stop completely in a second, pls, if you know a reason why please let me know… Thanks
Old 12-13-2005, 08:34 PM
irenaslavo

Thanks Fastrat porting service for your support, the installation of my boat is exactly like you said, but regarding balance about 1" rearward from the sponsons transom, I believe it will be difficult to do that with Areomarine hardware anyway I will try and please advise if you agree to send you pictures for my boat to give me your opinion….. thanks in advance
Old 12-14-2005, 12:18 AM
dbryan

From what you describe, it sounds like the fuel pickup is being uncovered by centrifugal force. Check if your clunk is free to move to the outside when the boat turns, that is where the fuel will be.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:16 PM
irenaslavo

Gentlemen, I got frustrated from my gas powered boats, I start believing that nitro is the best ….. still facing problem with both boats , AC the same problem, hydro don't getting up on the plane although I I got help from someone launch it for me, please I need help
Old 12-17-2005, 12:59 PM
ken0276
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

I have a 45" hydro that has some problems you met, but since I moved the engine backward 3" for reduced the nose weigh then all the problems were gone but you have to do a lot the things for that and it isn't easy.