Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Homelite rip cord is slipping

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Homelite rip cord is slipping

Old 12-14-2005, 07:26 PM
email4walker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homelite rip cord is slipping

I was working on my homelite engine and I took off the red cover. I put it back on later and now when I pull the cord to test it, it will turn the motor but it slips when the cord is about half way out. Any ideas how to fix it? Does it need to be fixed? I would think it would wear out the plastic on the inside of the housing that the motor flywheel is grabbing to start the motor. I bought the motor used on ebay and I don't know if it was doing this before I worked on it.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 11:10 PM
dbryan

Default RE: Homelite rip cord is slipping

This is a new one on me. I would pull the cover back off and check the flywheel toggles and the condition of the ratchet wheel on the back of the starter pulley.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:27 PM
email4walker

I did. Everything seems to be in the right place, but it still slips.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:48 PM
skoda450

Pull the cover off and check the springs on the levers on the flywheel. The levers should be pressed in so they engage the plastic gear with the housing in place. It sounds like they are being thrown out with only the force of pulling the starter rope, which may mean they are weak, broken, miss-aligned or not there at all. They are supposed to be thrown out when the motor statrts and are held away from the plastic starting gear by the rotating centrifical force.

It also could be that the plastic gear is worn out and the teeth are not deep enough to hold the levers engaged.

Let us know what you find. [sm=wink.gif]