Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Auto bailers

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Auto bailers

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:40 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto bailers

What a dumb idea to put on a boat.
Unless your hull is 100% clear and clean. I put one on my boat and a small shaving from drilling my radio box got stuck in it.
I didnt sink but it was half full when I brought it in to see why it was so sluggish,Must be extra weight of the water..
Good new, my box, from GI Joes camping area, is water tight..
Auto sinkers someone once called them, I believe it in my case..
Old 01-16-2006, 01:08 AM
lzvagias

Default RE: Auto bailers

i have never had a problem with them. when used correctly they are great. you do have to make sure the hull is clean, which i think you should do any way. just remove the little ball from bailer and rinse it out. this lets all the crap escape without clogging up the bailer. if you have larger debri you can use a piece of scotch brite or stainless steel wool and use it in front of bailer to act as a strainer while you rinse. after your done use a small drill bit and replace the wire retainer with a small screw.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:22 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you do have to make sure the hull is clean, which i think you should do any way

Absolutely !!! I would rather that piece of what ever to block my bailer rather than enter my carb.

I have dozens of them and so far have had Zero failures in god only knows how many hours of pond time. Only issue I have had is the little piece of wire breaking but ball was not lost. Auto-sinkers - not in my boats So what am I doing wrong [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 01-16-2006, 09:21 AM
teamchrome

I think ill try the filter idea.
I like the idea of the auto bailer but I guees A cleaner hull is expected.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:51 PM
lzvagias

you can also go to the hardware store and get a bag of those small screens designed for faucets. when i was in high school "some people" used them as filters in their homemade pot pipes. they're little circles cut out of screen which you can put over the inlet and push into the tube from the inside with the eraser end of a pencil. of course this is only after you clean the hull out well.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:10 PM
LVEURBOATS

Both Raj from XXX Boatworks and WWH have this it’s a Bilge plug and I think it works better on a boat with a clutch its easy to remove water from your boat simply drill a hole in the transom install with an Allen wrench it compresses to form a water tight seal. To remove simply unscrew and pull out after you have run for the day
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62124.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	389186  
Old 01-16-2006, 08:19 PM
hpiguy

ORIGINAL: teamchrome

What a dumb idea to put on a boat.
Unless your hull is 100% clear and clean. I put one on my boat and a small shaving from drilling my radio box got stuck in it.
I didnt sink but it was half full when I brought it in to see why it was so sluggish,Must be extra weight of the water..
Good new, my box, from GI Joes camping area, is water tight..
Auto sinkers someone once called them, I believe it in my case..

So what you are saying is you did something wrong (not cleaning the hull out) and blame the device?

A poor worker blames his tools.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:14 PM
BMAD01

When I setup my first Stryker, I'd heard all the woe's about autobailers. I put in the bilge plugs from Raj instead. An F-41 Stryker is a very low hull, and water gets inside it no matter how your running it.[:@] I got tired of pulling thems plugs out every time I brought the boat back in![:@] Then came the Blast Cat, and the new Stryker. I put "cut down" (lengthwise) Octura Autobailers in em both. I gotta tell you, LIFE IS GOOD!!! Someday soon, I'm gonna put em in the "01" boat too. The pic shows a stock length bailer, next to a cut down one. I cut them down so there isn't an extra 1/2" sticking inside the transom where water could pocket up. This way there is only about 1/16", inside the hull. Just enough room for epoxy to grab it. Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45794.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	389233  
Old 01-16-2006, 09:18 PM
teamchrome

Oh no not blaming the tool I know I screwed up.
I was just slamming myself outloud.
The (pot) screen I like, Might still have some.. Kidding.
Might even try the scoth bright pad..
All I can run now is the boat, the 1/5 buggy will stay on the bench untill the rain stops Almost a record here 30 days or somthing.
I love Seattle rain...
GO HAWKS....
Old 01-16-2006, 09:19 PM
lzvagias

i know Raj likes those plugs but personally like to know that water is not accumulating in my boat from spray or taking a wave over the bow. i have had my water line between my head and water pump come loose before and just pump water straight into the hull, if not for the bailer i would have had bigger problems even with my floaties! i really like the idea of a scavenging system but i'm not sure about the logistics of it, i'd hate to create a reverse syphon filling my hull.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Delinport

I might be a little slow...but...

Would hooking up a pulse water pump and puting the suction end of the line in the bottom of the boat work?

Del
Old 01-16-2006, 09:53 PM
lzvagias

i've thought about that but i'm reluctant to split off my crank pulse more than i have to. i already have a water pump and i don't know how if at all it would effect performance. with a motor like yours you can probably put a T on your pulse line and run two (or more) pumps without any adverse effect, but with a zen i'm thinking its gotta effect something.
most of all though its kinda overkill and would just take up space.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:07 PM
BMAD01

There was a guy at Jims r/c boat dock, who was going to run a clutch and 2 water pumps! One pump for the engine, and one as a bilge pump. Sounded like alot of extra weight to me. Never did hear how that one turned out. Brian
Old 01-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Justaddwata

Water pump will work fine as a bilge pump but my thoughts are if you have enough water coming onboard to require a dedicated pump then I would consider finding the source of the leak.

I know my jet boat (with two bailers) has a leaking exhaust header. Combine that with long runs, a few spins and the odd nose dive and I can say she gets her share of water onboard - 1/2 gal or more if I am not careful. I just run her at 1/2 throttle and the bailers empty any excess.

another (inexpensive) way of pumping water out is by running a water pickup in reverse with a vertical loop in the tube to ensure water does not flow back into the hull when stationary.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:08 PM
lzvagias

Matt, i have been wanting to know more about the scavenging type but i have wondered how you keep it from syphoning back in the boat. can you elaborate on the vertical loop that you mentioned and would this work with the through hull "bottom" fittings if you turned them backwards? i like the idea of water being sucked out instead of just draining out and might implement it on my current build.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Justaddwata

A loop of tubing raising above the stationary water line should be adequate to keep water from flowing back into the hull. It could still syphon water back into the hull if the loop was full when the boat stops. But I believe this might also be possible with a water pump (Cant recall if they have a one way valve - think so) since they will free flow (might only be one way though).

Old 01-17-2006, 12:39 AM
lzvagias

thanks Matt, thats what i'm affraid of. o well i'll just stay with the bailers.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Wetsu

Can I buy the auto bailer rc bilge plug you have advertised.
firechief164@verizon
757-635-7883