Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

SHOCKWAVE 55 SS IS IT A GOOD BOAT?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

SHOCKWAVE 55 SS IS IT A GOOD BOAT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: SHOCKWAVE 55 SS IS IT A GOOD BOAT?

Ain't that the truth! I know of one American R/C boat company that I wouldn't buy anything from! No, I won't mention their name.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Davcruz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know of more than one. Why not blame China, that is where the junk is made isn't it.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:05 AM
edmkills

I agree it probably is the best China has to offer... for the $2 proboat is paying them.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Resident Dawg

my 2 cents...Pick up athe latest copy of Radio Control Boat Modeler magazine. They do a Side by side comparasion with 3 RTR gas boats the WHH Team Pro, the Proboat SS 55, and the Aquacraft V24. I will save you the time and give you what they say.

Assembly....Tie V24 and SS 55
Handeling....V24
Top speed..Team Pro
Ease of use...SS 55
Hull Quality...Team pro
Running gear.....Team pro

The price differs $700.00 from the cheapest ( V24) to the most expensive ( Team Pro).

For a first boat if you can swing the $$$$$, I agree with what was said in the article "You can't go wrong with any of these boats, but after careful consideration, we select the Enforcer Team Pro as the overall winner in this 3 boat shootout."

If Cash is an issue I would go for the SS 55, it still has a Zenoah.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Slow Motion

First of all, thank you RD for that overview of the shootout! We have to understand that RCBM, like almost every other consumer publication, does these articals to inform, but also to promote the makers ( sellers ) of the products. That being said, this is just my take on their report.
They have been very diplomatic in awarding some points to the lesser boats; they have to give them something. It's very easy for the V 24 to handle well, because there is not enough speed to create any handling issues. The top speed, even for someone who just wants to jump waves, is VERY important, because every boater wants his boat to go faster with each trip to the pond. A slow boat gets old very quickly. The hull quality is a no brainer, if you want your hobby dollar to last more than a short time. Running gear can make or break the fun factor in large boats, as many V 24 owners have found out. When it comes to the $700 difference, you can EASILY spend that and more, redoing and replacing those things that you hoped you were buying. And if you are realy into rebuilding and wrenching that much, I don't see the point of buying a RTR boat in the first place.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Resident Dawg

I bellieve most of us here know better than to take a Mags opinion as Gospel. dIt is well now that mags haev to sometimes Dacne with a less then desirable partner. the short commings of TH V24 are well known, and as said many times in this hobby, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

We all know and agree that WHH products are far better in every facit than Pro boats, and Aquacraft. It is to bad they pitted the Team Pro in that group, it is kinda of like comparing a Yugo, a Monte Carlo, and a Benz. I think the Super G from WHH would have been a better platfrom for comparsion in that group, price wise anyway.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:47 AM
dgmenace73

Default Pb sw55

Hi. I have the 1st gen, non SS version of the Proboat Shockwave 55. Idk if they all came with the engine with no clutch with a carburetor that had no primer bulb or choke but mine absolutely came that way. The manual contradicts itself by saying 23cc in one area then 26cc in another. Someone told me they "thought" 1st gen was a 23cc and SS was a 26cc but I sure don't know. I haven't ran it in over a year. My brother bought it new like that and 1st time in the water it plained out as soon as he dropped it in the water at lake. Then he got into the throttle a little and lost complete radio signal! (Power plant lake so guessing high power, powerlines may have contributed to lose of signal?) It took off wide open and ran aprx a mile across the lake until it ran into shallow, rocky water where it broke the rudder off then ran into the bank! It was a little difficult to crank too. He had to put thumb over carb to choke it and it did run good once he got it cranked. It ended up selling it to me not long afterwards. I put a carb on it with a choke and primer. I bought a new rudder and a custom CNC clutch for it. Cranked great and idled in water but I made a water pump out of a windshield washer fluid pump off a broke down vehicle...lol (it served the purpose of cooling the engine while idling). Unsure if I'm going to keep it and add the dual rudders or sell it and get a different one. If this forum will allow it, is it possible for you to send pics of remote kill and your electric return to shore system? I may be interested in them if u want to sell them. Thanks. Oh, I had issue with rubber boot as well.

Originally Posted by nshumway
I got my shockwave last July and it has probably been in the water about 10 hours so far. I think the quality is very good overall but there are a couple small issues I have run into. First, the rubber rudder pushrod boots seem to break often- not a big deal though. Second, if you aren't watching the rope from the pull start will cut a groove in the hull but the top covers it up. Lastly the heads of the drivers and the windshield are flimsy. Again though not a big deal to me.

The Shoctwave 55 SS is quite fast out of the box and turns on a dime- it has been great fun thus far. I even made a kit that allows the boat to be driven electrically in case it stalls or you run out of gas. I have several other gadgets as well. Let me know if you need a remote kill switch or something like that.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:18 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to have the yellow Shockwave and bought it new from Horizon Hobby back in 2005 and it had a Zen 26 cc in it.The earlier versions had the Zen 23cc.There should be a tag on the motor saying what cc it is. The carb was a WT 644 and had a primer bulb and a choke. It didn't have a clutch and had a canister muffler.First time on the water the rudder shaft got bent from hitting a rock when bringing it in.The second time out the muffler fell off.I read all the bad reviews and decided to sell it,but ended up parting it out and keeping the engine,radio,receiver and servos.